Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Adderall Is Ruining My Life But I Cant Stop Taking It!!!!

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
I dont know what to do anymore. I was prescribed adderall about 2 years ago for add/adhd, before that I was on ritalin. But in the last year, I have been taking more and more adderall. I am suppose to take 40 mgs a day (2pills twice a day) and I usually take 5-6 (100-120mgs). I look bad, I feel bad, I am a wreck. I am irritable, I never have sex with my husband anymore, I dont want to be touched, I dont want to be hugged nothing. Even when I do give in and we have sex, I can not have an orgasm at all, I dont even get close to having one. And before I started taking to much adderall I could have them easily and enjoyed sex. I feel like I am a different person, like I dont even know myself anymore. But the worst thing is I rather look skinny and sick, and feel irritable and anxious, and be miserable like I am now, than seek help and get off the medication. I tried to quit taking it, it was unbearable, I was so exhausted I could barely stand up, I was clumsy running into things. I feel worthless, depressed, stupid, ugly. I could not quit eating, I could barely open my eyes because I was so tired, but if I got up I was eating. I could barely drive to work, I was falling asleep behind the wheel, it scared me to death!!! So I called a friend (because I threw my pills out) and got a few of her adderalls until it was time to get mine filled again. It was an aweful feeling, and I just much rather be awake and up than tired and depressed. I know I am seriously addicted, but no one knows I have a problem or even take adderall, and I have been such a disapointment to my mother in the past, and the last couple of years she has been proud of me I could not tell her I was addicted to amphetemines that she didnt know I was taking. She knew when I took ritalin and she knew I abused it as well, thats why I cant tell her about the adderall. I could seek private help, but honestly I dont want to be off it, I just wish I could take a drug holiday for a week and then start taking it again but take it normally. I have been saying I was gonna take it right for a year now and have yet to do so. I know I sound stupid, because I am posting this about my addiction but I dont want to stop taking the thing I am addicted too. But I am so scared! I am unhealthy, my mind is tired and feels all used up. But without the adderall I dont feel like I can do anything. :cry:
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rikky383
|

replied December 4th, 2005
Have you tried cutting down really really slowly - ie. Each week taking 10mg less per than the previous week.

I'm sure your doctor would be really understanding if you told them the problem and they may be able to help you with something else (another less addictive drug to ease the problems with coming off this drug)

remember that it's not your fault at all that your addicted to this substance - you used it initially to help a debilitating condition - and it's also not you're fault that you're in a nightmare situation now because you've become physically dependent on it - remember you're not weak for not being able to come of this, the strongest person on the planet would be in this position - you really do need support and help from other people though to crack this and deserve loads of understanding and empathy!!!!
|

replied December 4th, 2005
Have you tried cutting down really really slowly - ie. Each week taking 10mg less per than the previous week.

I'm sure your doctor would be really understanding if you told them the problem and they may be able to help you with something else (another less addictive drug to ease the problems with coming off this drug)

remember that it's not your fault at all that your addicted to this substance - you used it initially to help a debilitating condition - and it's also not you're fault that you're in a nightmare situation now because you've become physically dependent on it - remember you're not weak for not being able to come of this, the strongest person on the planet would be in this position - you really do need support and help from other people though to crack this and deserve loads of understanding and empathy!!!!
|

replied December 5th, 2005
Tell your doctor you are addicted to it, or if you live with someone have them give you your medicince
|

replied May 23rd, 2006
Hello,
are you still addicted to adderall? They told me that adderall is less stimulating than ritalin. I guess that isn't true huh.
I hope you are okay
|

replied October 15th, 2010
I'm scared too about what adderall is doing to me. Everyone says that I'm so much different now... but I want to remain this way. I like being alone now more than anything. I haven't been in a relationship now since I began taking it two years ago... and have no desire to get involved with anybody. I'm 31. It sucks... but I can't stop =(

-Kevin
|

replied February 26th, 2011
I feel all of you..but the best thing to do is to tell someone, and let them take control, cause being an addict. You can't do it by yourself. I would be dead by now if my friend didn't almost force me to stay at his house and stop taking them. Reason being I blacked out and ran off the road. My advice. Suck it up and just tell somebody!
It's for the best!
=)
|

replied May 19th, 2013
adderall abuse
loco11 wrote:
I feel all of you..but the best thing to do is to tell someone, and let them take control, cause being an addict. You can't do it by yourself. I would be dead by now if my friend didn't almost force me to stay at his house and stop taking them. Reason being I blacked out and ran off the road. My advice. Suck it up and just tell somebody!
It's for the best!
=)
|

replied May 19th, 2013
adderall abuse
loco11 wrote:
It's for the best!
=)
|

replied May 19th, 2013
adderall abuse 2013
loco11 wrote:
It's for the best!
=)
|

replied May 19th, 2013
adderall abuse 2013
How long does this withdrawal last ??
|