Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Ear Problem When I Wake Up - Everyday

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hi there - every morning when I wake up my ears feel very clogged or plugged. When I swallow I can hear (what I assume is) the air equalizing very loudly, put the feeling persists. I find this experience makes it very difficult to get up. Sitting up helps...I believe that gravity helps things draining properly.

About once a year I wake up and actually feel fine....A feeling I wish I could have everyday.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 9th, 2006
No,but I have the same problem. I hate it, makes you wondewhy u get up in a morning :(
|

replied February 17th, 2006
Similar
I have something similar. About 10 - 15 minutes after I lay down I start to feel my right ear plug up. Most times I can pop it back "open" briefly, but it almost always closes back up. Eventually my ear muscles must get tired because it becomes more difficult to pop. And like the above poster, my ear clears right up when i'm in a vertical position. This has been happening for the last few months. There is the rare night when it doesn't clog at all, or stops doing it sometime in the middle of the night. It is extremely annoying because I know what it's like to have an ear clogged for days, and I always fear my ear will not pop or clear up when I sit up in the morning. I am a recording engineer so I need to have both my ears working. And no, I do not listen to music too loud. I am very smart about that.
|

replied March 12th, 2013
I also have the same problem. Go to bed feeling fine. Wake up with an ear clogged. Takes a while to unclog. Seems to be getting worse. And sometimes ill get lucky and feel dizzy. First started when I got off an airplane. Had symptoms for over 6 years. Went to an ent to check out the problem. First checkup no luck. Help
|
Quick Reply