Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Weird Reaction to Deodorant? (Page 1)

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
Hello....I ahve a question for anyone out there. I have itchy armpits and I don't know what's causing it, any ideas? I have tried switching deodorant brands even though I have been using the same on for like 2 years! There are no bumps or rash. I am allergic to sulfates like in bodywashes and shampoos, am I missing something?
I f you have any ideas thanks!

Jadestone
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper armpithell
|

replied November 21st, 2005
Itchy Armpits
I have the same problem! I have always used secret deoderant and have not tried to switch yet. What is your age? I am 35 year old female. It drives me nuts and have never had this happen until last 4 or 5 months.
|

replied November 23rd, 2005
I am 26 and I was using degree for a long time, now i've switched to secret since the itch but it hasn't gone away?! Maybe we are just becoming more sensitive to perfumes and chemicals?
|

replied November 23rd, 2005
Well I have looked some things up and found that it could be a kind of fungus or yeast infection (candida) I am not sure of spelling. Its common with women and possibly something that does not go away on its own. Natural remedies (which I prefer) is vaseline believe it or not. Others too, but can't recall the names. I also found that the expensive creams applied twice daily are supposed to do the trick. This would be the same cream that is used for athlete foot. Yuck! Never had that before so not sure what to buy! I think i'll try vaseline first. I'll let you know how it turns out!
|

replied December 11th, 2005
No No....
God! Dont' use deoderant! There is so much allumium in it that could cause breast cancer! I wish more people would read up on this. I use a natural sone that I bought at my heath store . It works great! And it lasts for years
|

replied March 18th, 2012
ive heard that about some deoderants that most have alluminum but i never believed it i have this same problem but i switched to some organic deoderants like natures gate deoderant found at walgreens or wallmart in health section
|

replied July 1st, 2012
I am having the same problem. I used Dry Idea for 20 years and now not only do I itch but I have severe odor than only happens during puberty. I tried Secret, no itching but even unscented smells. I tried the natural stone and not only did it itch, I now have severe extensive welts. Please someone help. I am 59 and have never had a problem like this one. My doctor says that if a product of any kind states it is "New & Improved" the company is required to change at least one ingredient in it to make that statement.
|

replied December 11th, 2005
No No....
God! Dont' use deoderant! There is so much allumium in it that could cause breast cancer! I wish more people would read up on this. I use a natural sone that I bought at my heath store . It works great! And it lasts for years
|

replied December 31st, 2005
Experienced User
Well, it could be just like hair dye. I know I was using dye for a good year or so, 2 times a month, and only began having allergic reactions to it the last two times I used it. I agree with mamabravo that natural deodorants are the way to go, and they smell just as nice :)
|

replied March 10th, 2006
Armpit Rash
:wink:

i've tried deodorants only, and they don't take the armpit stink away. I've tried anti-perspirants, but I know how bad aluminium is, so I stopped using them. I then tried crystal rock liquid deodorant with potassium alum in it. They claim that the alum is different than aluminum, but guess what, I was still irritated with itch and rash under my arms. I give up.
|

replied March 11th, 2006
Experienced User
*cries*
I have some sort of unbelievably itchy rash underneath my right arm, and it's been there for two months or so now. I put hydrocortisone on it, i've tried actual prescribed anti fungal creams, i've used hydrogen peroxide, and I tried iodine which felt like it was setting my skin on fire.. Nothing.. Nothing.. Works for it so far. It's a weird red blotch with other little red dots below it, and as of yet it hasn't spread to other parts of my body.. Even though i've used the same deodorant for both arms. It's not only gotten to where it hurts, but it's also very dry. I dunno what to do for it..
|

replied March 25th, 2006
Bumps
I have been battling bumps for a year now. They are red and pimple-like some times itchy and painful. I am 37 and had a baby a year ago when this started. First I thought it was abug bite and tried goldbond for a while. The excess sweat from working out combined with antipersperants and deoderants may have clogged my pores making worse. Now they are returning so I have stopped shaving, quit antipersperants and deoderants. Now using "natural" deoderant (spray on mineral salts), dyefree laundry detergent, sensitive skin dove for soap ( I may try dial antibacterial). Seems to be getting better. I have been going crazy for ayear and hope this works.
|

replied June 12th, 2006
Armpit Rash
Hello all ... The answer to everyone's question is most likely candida ... It has many symptoms:

fatigue and muscle weakness
skin rashes / itching / hives
spaced out / brain fog
concentration problems
chemical sensitivities
poor memory
food cravings
stomach pain
bloating
arthritis
joint pain
thrush (fuzzy / furry tongue)
low libido...?

I think I have finally figured out what has been ailing me for years ... After the doctor has told me there is nothing wrong. My Dr. Told me my joint pain was either in my head or I needed to lose weight. I have been eating right and exercising and I can't seem to lose the weight. Now that I am pretty sure that I know what is wrong ... I am going to be on the road to recovery ... Hope this info help others.
|

replied September 11th, 2013
Joint pain and other inflammatory conditions are almost always related to an imbalance of essential fatty acids. It's likely that you are consuming way too many Omega 6 and 9 fatty acids and not enough Omega 3s. Cut way back on the grasses, grains, breads, pastas and cereals for two months (reduced Omega 6) and see if you have an improvement. It's the ratio of the two that matter.

Candida overgrowths are precursors to Type II diabetes and you should address it immediately. It is not a sugar problem; it is a fat problem. Reduce your fat intake (measured by percentage of calories) to less than 20% immediately and you should have symptom relieve within the week. (Excess fat intake prevents your body's insulin from doing its job of transporting sugars out of your blood and into the tissue.)
|

replied July 16th, 2008
im 15 and im allergic to something in both Degree and Secret deodorants. I don't know what it is. and i've tried to look it up, but i really couldn't find anything. is it the aluminum?? or something else, because i can use dove for sensitive skin, but that has the aluminum in it too.

HELP!!!
--ashley--
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You may just be sensitive to the fragrance, dyes or other irritants they put in deodorants. If you've never had a problem with things until deodorants then I'd make the switch to what works for you and just stick with that.
|

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2008
armpit rashes
Hi guys, I got the same rashes when I was using the deodorant, I tried also to switched many times, but I get the same rashes lately was so irritated and so itchy until I found out about crystals that my friend recommend me and it's all natural and it lasts for over 24 hrs. Try tawas crystals.
Goodluck...
|

replied September 18th, 2011
dear gshiel - thanks, I'm a male, and am quite sensitive, I'll try crystals and report back! David, Sydney.
|

replied September 19th, 2008
Hey. I have gotten rashes in my armpits from deodorant since I was 16. I tried gels and solids and it's all the same. Fortunately Axe works as a cologne and a deodorizer. I pretty much just spray it on my chest region. My girlfriend of almost two years loves it so it kind of worked out nicely. Using soap in my armpits in the shower can also give me a reaction.

Now for the weird part. I drank for the first time last week (and again last night, beer both times) and both times I have had the same reaction that I get from deodorants. Has this happened to any of you? I tried looking up the beer ingredients online so I could compare with the ingredients found in most deodorants but surprisingly I couldn't find the ingredients for the beer.
|
Users who thank Aerolite for this post: gshiel 

replied January 31st, 2009
I switched to Secret Platinum Clear Gel deodorant about two - three months ago. My armpits have been itching off and on since starting to use it. Most recently my left breast became painful and have had some nerve pain throughout the breast. I have had some nerve pain on the right breast as well. My injury massage therapist suggested I change my deodorant to an all natural brand without aluminum purchased at a health food store. The itching has gotten better since starting to use the new deodorant three days ago, but still having some nerve pain in my breast. Has anyone ever experienced anything like described?
|

replied June 16th, 2011
I have had the same thing recently happen to me! I was using secret, I have switched to dove! I am going to try the natural Brand! Mine don't itch per say but feel very irritated like the have been rubbing against my shirt when I know they haven't. I will have to try the natural brand and if that doesn't work Im going to the doctor! About the Breast yes I will pain as well sometimes and its in both but like yours more in the left. No clue whats going on. Like I said I will try the natural and if it doesn't work going to the doctor ASAP!
|

replied February 6th, 2009
I have the answer...i think!
I'm male, 22, UK. I was using Right Guard for years, then apparently a 'New Formula' was introduced, but apparently this was the case with others too. I tried changeing the fragrance thinking it was specific ones etc. but it was still really bad, I was itching (like the best itch in the world to scratch but that you regret as soon as you've scratched) but then got painful too, deep rooted pain (I'd get exaiming if you're female though to be safe).

I went to my GP (doctor) and he said it was an infection and gave mesome cream and said stop usning deoderant and use the cream until it's gone.

I did and it went. Great. But then as soon as I used my deodorant, it came back.

I went to my pharmacist and told im my symptoms. His eyes widened and he said "I have it too! It's the 'improved' ingredients contained in te propellants. Use a cream or stick".

I promptly stopped using deodorants and then only used a sure one. It's not quite a stick it's like a dome wit a hole in te middle that you push cream up through and then spread it under arm. It's absolutely fine and went straigt away. I used another traditional stick one and that effected me badly too. I genuinely think tis will help people. I would suggest you stop using anything until it's virtually gone (keep clean and dry and spray your clothes with aftershave or perfume instead) and then use a cream one, defintely not spray. Good luck!
|

replied February 13th, 2009
stupid itch
I get that every once n awhile and i know this may sound nuts, but i take wax and rip the hair from my underarms by the roots...believe it or not this actually works...for some reason the roots cause the problems...works for me anyways...don't do this if you hate extreme pain.
|

replied March 21st, 2009
deodorant allergy mystery
I had my first reaction on holiday 2 years ago and put it down to stress as travelling without my children! I have since had problems on and off and found that by cleaning the area thoroughly and then applying diprobase cream - available from most chemists, works wonders. I try to avoid deodorants when not working and remove any trace as soon as i arrive home. I have also stopped reapplying while at work as this also seems to cause a reaction. The initial deodorant that caused the problem was Nivea and found Palmolive Soft & Gentle Eden passion flower is brilliant. Unfortunately i saw soft & gentle aroma therapy (Lavender, Ylang Ylang & Patchouli) on special offer the other day and was tempted ...... wish i hadnt been LOL! Interestingly, both contain aluminium! I will definitely been investigating candida mentioned in another message as i suspect i suffer from that but hadnt link the two. Thanks for advice from others and hope my input helps.
|

replied October 27th, 2009
annoying itch and rash from hell !!!!
Oh my gosh!!! I thought I was the only one in the world with this problem!!! I have been battling this for almost 2 years. This rash drives me crazy and even got so bad at one point i couldn't wear a shirt. I even went to the dermatologist and he didn't know what it was. I have had to completely stop using deodorant. I just use baby powder instead. I'm going to try some ideas i just read. Thanks a million!!!!
|

replied June 22nd, 2012
Something that many people don't think about is mixing a little corn starch powder with water. Mix it until it is a pasty consistency and rub it onto your underarms. No smell, no allergy
|