Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Spasms/vibrations Below Sternum!!! (Page 1)

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Okay, I have a weird sensation & wonder if anyone else has felt this before. I did have gallbladder surgery back in april, so have no idea if there's any connection. I'm also on prilosec otc for pain I was having in my ribs, stomach & back recently. I have a strange feeling just below my sternum where it's goes into a downward v. It feels like a spasms or vibration. It last about 5-10 seconds. I get it a number of times in an hour. Even my general practitioner has no idea what this is. It started about two weeks ago. Had a sharp chest pain in the middle of the night & it went away within a few minutes. The next morning I started to get the vibration feeling. Few days later the vibration was replaced with chest pains, which seemed to be anxiety over the spasms. Chest pain went away as my anxiety subsided, but the vibrations are still here. I had noticed this vibration feeling a few times this past year, maybe once a month, but it was never a concern, until it started happening all the time. It's not heart related, as I had a ekg a couple weeks ago & this past spring I had an ekg & wore a holter monitor. Those tests all came back normal & the pain was from my gallbladder. Also this past spring had an upper endoscope & colonoscopy & at that point everything was good. I feel good otherwise...

Has anyone ever experienced this before. It's really disconcerting.

Thanks in advance.

Blue
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Starlght3
|

replied December 3rd, 2005
Sounds like mycotoxin problem. Almost all foods have fungi that released mycotoxins. Your body is simply reacting to the toxins relased.

Read the diet I recommend for most users http://ehealthforum.Com/health/topic48534. Html.

I'm not here to convice you but carbs (high carb foods) feed bacteria, fungi etc. How do I know because i've done research this whole yaer on it. No i'm not a doctor but I have learned a lot and actually put it to practical use.

The diet is nothing special just normal foods so you're not spending big amount of money on medication.

You can try the diet if you want but i'm not going to convince you. I'm just letting you know what's available to you that's all.

Good luck!
|

replied December 3rd, 2005
Experienced User
The vibrations/spasms I was experiencing all went away while I was on a cruise vacation in the caribbean this past week. It was no doubt stress related, since it had been a bad year for me. I don't eat a lot of carbs to begin with. Actually while on the cruise I ate more carbs then I ever have before.

Blue
|

replied December 4th, 2005
Write a diary. Write down the time and how you felt and what you eat and drink with the times also. Also if you expose to chemicals like cleaning products write it down too. A good diet is the way to go.
|

replied December 5th, 2005
Experienced User
My spasms were not connected to food/drink. The pain, sickness etc I had, because of a diseased gallbladder were no doubt connected to the food I ate. The spasms I had been experiencing really started up about a week after my husband lost his job the end of october. On top of the fact I did just have gallbladder surgery in april, so i've been under a great deal of stress this past year. So it's easy in past tense to make the connection that the spasms came from stress & went away on vacation. I also use mostly natural cleaning products. I also eat a fantastic diet & only weigh 105 pounds. I've actually gained ten pounds since surgery. I feel great! I don't even need to take the prilosec anymore. Despite a few minor setbacks since & because of surgery, i'm healthier now then I have been in years at the age of 33. I've learned from personal experiance & from a great deal of reading on the subject, stress can really take a toll on your health, & it can really mess up your whole digestive system. So, i'm learning to manage my stress level better. It's working...

Blue
|

replied January 12th, 2006
Vibration Fluttering Below Right Breast
I dont know if this is the same symptoms but I have a fluttering,or twitching another way to put it, right in that one area and it has started a couple of days ago and went away yesterday for a little while but started up again. I myself am still wondering what it is....Any ideas?
|

replied January 31st, 2006
Weird Fluttering
Me too chukis... About 5 years ago it started, with what I described as a small fluttering in the top right of my abdomen just under my ribs. I used to say it felt like a hamster running around in one of those exercise balls....! Over the last few years I guess it got worse, it used to hurt as soon as I ate 'too much of' anything or drank 'too much of' anything - so I 'felt full'. It hurts when I lean forward. It hurt if I lay on my right side. I'd say "hurt" was too strong a word - more uncomfortable, the fluttering is more throbbing/poking/fluttering now, and feels a little *bigger*. 3 years ago I had tests - lots of them! Barium meal, scans, endoscopy,liver function etc etc all they found was a small hiatus hernia (which I dont think caused the sensation). What I discovered was if I lose weight the feeling disappeared... I did and it did for a year or two... Ive put on weight again now, and its back... Docs trying me on lansoprazole(sp?) for the hernia for 2 weeks, but if that doesnt work, more tests. He thinks it might be gallstones..

Good luck!!
Trish
|

replied February 23rd, 2006
Re: Fluttering
I started having the same symptoms quite recently, over my right breast. It happens almost all the time. At first I thought I have my cellphone in my pocket although the sensation is very slight. I started looking up symptoms for breast cancer. I was relieved my symptom was not one of them. I feel relieved that there are other people with the same experience. I have been under a lot of stress lately. Coming to think of it, I started feeling the fluttering after my father took ill and had to be admitted in the hospital for the first time in his life. I was very worried. I hope it goes away.
|

replied March 1st, 2006
Thank God, I Thought I Was Crazy!!!
I'm a 31 year old that has anxiety. The anxiety is under control now with the help of meds, pretty much non exisant. About 2mos. Ago I started feelingpain/aches in the back of my ribs and upper stomache, along with chest pains. All came and went with no consistency. The doc said to take anti-inflamitories for two weeks, but couldn't really find anything wrong. So 2 weeks ago I started getting that weird fluttery twitchy feeling, which I thought was weird, but went along with my day. Now it's comming way more frequently, and is starting to freak me out. I don't feel sick. But because of my anxiety, I start to panic. Why would something like this just start happening, so out of the blue. I'm tired of the run around with the doc's. It seems that I spend thousands to just find out nothing is ever wrong, or they make me feel like it's all imagined. I'm very frustrated! Any answers or advice? Sure would appreciate it.
|

replied March 18th, 2006
Flutters In Chest
I always thought these flutter-like sensations in my chest area are esophogeal spasms. I only have them occasionally, but they really freak me out and seem to give me some serious anxiety! Doc says it is probably my esophogus reacting to something i've eaten recently. Hope this helps.
|

replied October 31st, 2007
Fluttering In My Upper Stomach Region
Ladies I am feeling the same thing. It started about a month ago. Then stopped for a week. Now its back fluttering harder then ever. This is weird. I had a friend that had gullstones and that was one of the symptoms like a baby kicking lightly. All I know is I am healthy. When I get them they fell like my upper region is having some sort of a spasm..... just like that other person described it felt like a hamster running around. I am not getting any pain that I notice at the moment. I know I am not pregnant thats for sure!
|

replied February 18th, 2009
Fluttering sensation
I've been experiencing the same sensations. I don't think it could be gallstones because I had my gallbladder removed almost 2 years ago and the fluttering just started a few weeks ago. I have noticed it's more prevalent if I've been drinking carbonated drinks. That said, I'm leaning toward the esophogeal spasms - kind of like hiccups just above the stomach. There's no pain; it just feels weird.
|

replied March 18th, 2009
Vibration
I also am having the exact vibrational sensation. Below the sternum and slightly to the right it will vibrate (contract) for 3 seconds and then relax for about 10-15 seconds on and off for the last 4 days.
|

replied March 30th, 2009
Stomach Spasms
I just started having the same stomach spasms on the left side of the stomach. I went to the doctor and he said it is due to stress/anxiety. It could be true because before this my eyelids would at times begin to flutter for no apparent reason. Apparently, according to the doctor this is also stress/anxiety related. The problem with the stomach spasms is that the more you worry about it, the more the spasms increase, and so it becomes like a vicious circle!
|

replied April 5th, 2009
The symptoms you've described are exactly what I'm experiencing. Intuitively, I know it's stress related. Diet has nothing to do with it. The symptoms subsided last month while on a trip to Africa. Now that I'm back home the symptoms are back. However, I'd really like to know if this is a diagnosed condition. It's incredibly unpleasant.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2009
I have spasms that feel like someone has a vice on the area just below my sternum(some sort of muscle there). When the spasm starts I get anxious causing the vice to get tighter. Just this morning it started to happen again. The pains had been so bad at times I was rendered immoble. Today something told me get some food quick and so I oicked up a fruit cup and swallowed it down. The spasm stopped instantainiously. I can tell you that I was hungry and I think the two are related. I have had ekgs and they are normal so its gotta to be hunger pains the worst of any kind I have evr felt.... I will try eating again when I have the spasm. If it goes away immediatelky I will come back and post it. Hope this helps someone...
|

replied April 11th, 2009
I had my gallbladder out over 10 years ago, and within a year had 2 ercp's to remove gallstones from my bile duct. I have gotten these spasms randomly since then, and just paid a visit to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack, only to find out that it was these spasms again, only much worse than I've ever had them before. I normally only notice them after waking up in the middle of the night, and then I am up for the day no matter what time it is. The doc at the ER gave me donnatal, an anti-spasmotic which helps a lot. But it is a huge disconcerning feeling to have to deal with. I'm worried about gall stones in the bile duct again, or something else. I've been on Prevacid for almost 5 years and just recently switched to Nexium. I'm wondering now if the Nexium is working at all. I've been swallowing Mylanta like it is going out of style and taking the donnatal two to three times a day, sometimes two at a time. If I eat anything remotely spicy or acidic, it fires up. I always feel like if I eat something it will go away. If it does, it is usually only temporary, then the burning, belching, and enormous amounts of gas kick it. I am a 54 year old woman who does need to lose at least 60 pounds, and I've been exercising. Don't find that exercise helps or hurts at all. I'm hoping losing the weight will help with the heartburn.
|

replied June 12th, 2009
I have been having the same feelings. Like a baby with hiccups. I know I am not pregnant. I started noticing it after I started doing a specific stomach exercise. It is not painful, just done right annoying. I am glad to hear that many other women have this same problem.
|

replied July 7th, 2009
Vibration/Bubblings/spasm, whatever, in the abdomen
So I'm not nuts then?!? That's good to know. My gallbladder came out in December. Since then, I've been fine with the exception on dealing with my anxiety/panic disorder which is controlled by meds. I also take Aciphex for reflux & a BP med.

Just today, I started having the vibration/hamster running feeling/bubbling feeling (not sure how to describe it) on my left just below my ribcage in my abdomen. I thought if I had a BM it would ease off. It hasn't. It's been going on all day, lasts for 10 secs or less, then happens again after 5 mins or so. It's un-nerving. It's not painfull at all, just feels like something jumping/running/bubbling or something in there. I don't have IBS that I'm aware of. EKG's, ultrasounds, CT scans, Hidascans, Stress tests all are normal. (they've all been done within the last 6 months) So, if anyone has any ideas, please I would LOVE to hear them.
|

replied August 24th, 2009
I found your post while searching for an answer to the exact same symptoms you've described. It's been going on for two weeks now, and I'm starting to get a little worried. I'm 8 months post RNY bypass. Not painful, but something definitely has to be going on. I will see my doctor in a couple of weeks and hope it's nothing serious!
|