Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Trouble Swallowing (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Swallowing problem
i have the strangest symptom where I feel like i'm trying to swallow and my throat muscles get stuck half way. I completely panic when this happens. I don't feel a lump or anything...Just this inability to complete my swallowing motion. I feel I am the only one with this symptom! Has anybody experience this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper MOONDRIFT
|

replied November 18th, 2005
Experienced User
I Kinda the Same
Sometimes when I swallow I feel like food gets stuck in my throat and try's to get get it to go down or up. Sometimes I actually feel like throat is closing up. I think its because of this thing growing in the back of throat I dont know what it is but it scares me.
|

replied February 17th, 2012
Please do an ultrasound. You might have a thyroid nodule. The thyroid is a gland that controls a wide variety of functions. If the nodule is behind your food pipe, it could wreck havoc. I know because I just found out I have it. And I thought I was crazy. I hope this helps some of you. God Bless you all:)
|

replied February 17th, 2012
Please do an ultrasound. You might have a thyroid nodule. The thyroid is a gland that controls a wide variety of functions. If the nodule is behind your food pipe, it could wreck havoc. I know because I just found out I have it. And I thought I was crazy. I hope this helps some of you. God Bless you all:)
|

replied November 20th, 2005
Hi Bhanu
I get the throat stiffness too..Which makes it difficult to swallow. Icant feel a lump eithr but it feels as if my throat is really tight.
Ive had this for sumtime...Doctr said it is common symptom of stress n anxiety, which causes throat muclses to tightn/contract. Doc said when stress settles so will the throat thing.

Dont worry urself about it..Cause it is caused by stress.. And u worryin about it will b counter prodcutive.
Its jus a viscous cirlce.

How long have u had it for?
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
It may well be caused by stress but i have had this swallowing disorder since 17. I am now 45 and have had every test available and my experience here in spam unapproved is doctors dont want to know about it. I have suffered with this thing basically all my life.
|

replied November 20th, 2005
to Youngandpregnt And Banu
So it feels like ur gonna choke? I get dat sumtimes too
that is also common amongst people with stress...You shud check out
this forum Uncommonforum
ther r many postings from people who hav the tight throat and experince the choking feel.. In the anxiety/panic attack topic check it out.

Itll help u to relax wen u see how common it is and that ur not the only one..

From sameera
|

replied November 21st, 2005
Experienced User
Sam1
Thax i'll try to stay relaxed
|

replied November 22nd, 2005
I had exactly this my first experiance was when I was a child I think I was about 9/10 I refused to eat in the end and my parents were going crazy at me as they had took me to the hospital and were told there was nothing wrong with me, this experiance has repeated many times in my life since also :(
|

User Profile
replied November 22nd, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
It could also be from a hiatal(sp) hernia, but it does happen to me when I get stressed or anxious or in a hurry.
Good luck to all of you, keep us posted on how you are doing.
|

replied November 24th, 2005
Thank you so much for all those who replied to my posting. It really helps to know there are others who have teh similar feeling. I never really feel the lump or choking though..Just the feeling that I can't complete a swallow
|

replied October 12th, 2011
I have the same thing. Ever since I had my first panic attack this has been a "side effect" I have not been able to get rid of for 11 years now. It has gotten so bad for me that I never go out to eat, and if anyone watches me eat I start to feel that way instantly.
It's a weird feeling, like I have to really concentrate on swallowing food, and in certain situations over the years now I get anxiety for example from being on the free way,and that feeling sets in and even swallowing saliva becomes a chore and I get very scared although I always try to hide it. This happens to me on a daily basis, even when I am at home. I have lost so much weight over the years because of this, I am 27, 5'4 and weight 98-100 pounds. People always tell me how skinny I am, and that honestly scares me and makes me feel even worse! I had xrays, soft tissue xrays done and nothing was ever found. The problem with anxiety is that it makes you think you are really sick with something, and people often think they are dying from a disease rather than just having anxiety/depression/stress. For 11 years I thought I had something severely wrong with me, even when all tests including a lot of blood work came back that I was perfectly healthy. I than started to think that the dr's MUST be missing it! And although I know it is anxiety, I still at times think that there is something else. My mom always tells me "tell yourself it is all in your head" and honestly, saying that to myself always brought on an anxiety attack. After 11 years of this crappy life, I am sick of it, I have lost many good years of my life and I want to live my life, I got to the point where I am scared to do just about anything! The dr gave me a prescription for Effexor 37.5mg per day, I have been looking at the bottle for a week now as I am scared of meds (also part of anxiety). But I don't think I will ever get over this unless I start taking this medication and change my life.
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
I have the same problems as you. Hopefully you started taking the medicine. It was helped me sooo much. I'm not cured but I can eat better now, still on the skinny side though. The strange thing was, when I was pregnant it was completely better and I wasn't taking any medication. My OB said that it was common to be better during pregnancy. A couple of months after I had my baby, it was back full force. I started taking Zoloft bc it is safest since I'm nursing, but I prefer what I took before I was pregnant which was Lexapro. It still gets stronger at times, but I find that is when I'm trying to do too much, not taking time to relax enough, not speding time with God... I know exactly how you feel. I don't know anyone else personally who is dealing with this. The people I am close to don't like to hear about it and don't know what to say. I think they think its crazy or something that can be controlled mentally- its not.
|

replied December 15th, 2006
Lump In Throat
:d hi all,
i am new to the site & relatively new to osa. I too have the lump in my throat. I have read your posts and now feel better about mine. I am 985 compliant with my cpap. I do awaken with dry mouth from sleeping with my mouth open. I use a full face mask. I will be seeing a sleep disorder Dr. In jan. As I am sleeping fitfully most of the night.
Thank you for sharing. It's helpful.
|

replied January 23rd, 2007
The trouble swallowing and growth in your throat sounds like a thyroid problem. You should go to your doctor and have that checked.
|

replied August 10th, 2009
tight throat
I also have problems swallowing. My problem started 3 years ago when I felt like I had a growth in the back of my throat. My throat felt tight and I couldn't even swallow my own saliva. I dropped 8 pounds in 7 days. Everyone thought I looked amazing on the outside, but I was a mess on the inside. I didn't feel like anyone understood how I was feeling. I went through tests and found that i have a hiatal hernia. I also was told that it was due to depression and anxiety. I feel that I have a fear of losing someone close to me and also have a huge fear of choking. I sometimes inhale wrong while I'm swallowing food, water and even saliva. I then cough and fight to get air to my lungs. It's scary!!!!! I wish you all the best in your search for answers. I wish this on noone!
|

replied September 13th, 2009
I get this problem all the ****ing time along with temporary closure of the eosophageus causing me to have to regergitate the start of some meals which looks and sounds disgusting ( stood outside many a burgerbar after drinking and people think im being sick ) and all the doctors ive seen ( i have seen tons of them, all as useless as each other ) refuse to acknowledge it because the only solution is cannabis or quiting your stress inducing job. They cant prescribe either because governments around the world dont want people doing either because they stop spending money on tax generating activities.
|

replied September 13th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
I have this feeling often. The worst for me is the constant gagy feeling. Sometimes simply bending over makes me gag.
|

replied November 18th, 2009
Good book for anxiety
Common in anxiety and such. Read the book by Dr. Howard Liebgold Freedom From Fear.... Excellent book
|

replied November 30th, 2009
I had a choking experience 15 years ago and I have had the same the same exact symptoms ever since. I have had upper GI tests and everything else. It all points to stress and anxiety. And I know it is because when I drink a decent amount, I can eat normally. It definitely keeps my weight down but when I am out to dinner, I get extreme anxiety, i can't swallow and everyone asks "why aren't you eating all of your food?" it adds to the stress. I feel like I am not breathing properly and I don't trust my own body to swallow bc I am afraid to choke. This is really a nightmare because I love food. Unless I become an alcoholic or dependent on drugs, I don't know what to do.
|

replied December 9th, 2009
Trouble Swallowing
I've got this happening to for whenever I was tired or drank a beer before eating! Even drinking soda pops! What happens in most situations is you feel tired, you don't eat well and your body is tired. I had this swallowing problem often. I fought back by better eating, drinking lots of water! cutting the unnessary sugars! (the bad habits) and some fast walking! Try this for a month or so! You will probably never have this problem again in your life! Fight Your own stress be healthy!

Danny Boy
|

replied December 15th, 2009
I am 36 years old and have had a couple times in my life where I thought I was chocking, but was okay. But about a year ago I stopped at a drive thru and started eating and I was having trouble swallowing and like most the post I have read thought I was having a stroke or some serious issues. It went away after a couple of days and has come back here and there, but lately it has been bad again and has been for a couple of weeeks. I can drink fluids and certain foods and I am fine but when I eat certain things I am timid to swallow. Very frustrating!
|

replied January 26th, 2010
food in throat
omg, i am also having this (food in the throat feeling too)how can i relax myself and make this stop?
|

replied February 8th, 2010
swallowing problem
Wow i feel so releive same that so many people are having the same problem as my son its now been 3 yrs since he choke and lost 30 pound and still to this day he is having trouble eating.....he feelike he is going crazy....he tell me he is hungry when i make him something he cant eat .....i hope he find help soon im afraid of loosing him
|

replied March 9th, 2010
Haven't been able to swallow for 6 months!
I wish someone had an answer for this. It's been SIX months since I've had anything besides Ensure shakes. I'm so hungry, but I can't get myself to swallow much of anything. Sometimes I can't even swallow my own saliva! No one seems to understand and they all say, "just EAT!" Oh, if it was only that easy! I've had anxiety issues for over 20 years and I know that this is a part of it, but I've never had it like this before! It feels like either I can't swallow at all (causing me to spit out whatever is in my mouth) or sometimes while I'm swallowing, it feels like everything goes in reverse. Its terribly frustrating because I WANT to eat, I'm HUNGRY and EVERYTHING sounds good! But I just can't get myself to swallow. Just to be able to gulp down a big glass of water would be SO nice! Someone please find an answer to this! I'm so tired of it! Definately going to try the walking that someone suggested in an earlier post. I guess we'll all have to get together and come up with an answer ourselves!!
|

replied February 8th, 2012
trouble swallowing
been awhile since you've posted this megbanas...i hope you'e doing better? For the past 3 months i have not been able to swallow anything other then ensure shakes too, and I can do this only if i'm awakened from a deep sleep in the middle of the night. During the day, I cannot drink or eat anything. This came out of the blue, and i had been under a lot of stress. Had lots of physical tests done and all came back good. Like you, I am starving and so thirsty days. I can't afford to lose any weight, i'm down to 105 lbs (5'5" tall). I've only lost about five lbs (i'm sure because of the ensure) but my doc told me if i do lose much more, i'd have to get a feeding tube. I am terrified, tired, and depressed. Did you ever find any solution to your problem?
|

replied February 8th, 2012
trouble swallowing
been awhile since you've posted this megbanas...i hope you'e doing better? For the past 3 months i have not been able to swallow anything other then ensure shakes too, and I can do this only if i'm awakened from a deep sleep in the middle of the night. During the day, I cannot drink or eat anything. This came out of the blue, and i had been under a lot of stress. Had lots of physical tests done and all came back good. Like you, I am starving and so thirsty days. I can't afford to lose any weight, i'm down to 105 lbs (5'5" tall). I've only lost about five lbs (i'm sure because of the ensure) but my doc told me if i do lose much more, i'd have to get a feeding tube. I am terrified, tired, and depressed. Did you ever find any solution to your problem?
|