Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Digestion-how Long. (Page 1)

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
From the moment you eat something, how long does it take till that food has been consumed in some form. For example, after scoffing a tub of ice cream for example, how long before the evil sugars and calories affect your body? I've always wondered, given when I binge, I wonder if its "too late" ya' know, will throwing up stop this. Regardless, i'll prolly, sadly, keep on doing it.

...And I thought I had stopped.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper manoca94
|

replied November 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
Hey well I don't really know the answer to the question. I think that it could vary on like your body. I am not sure though.
|

replied December 10th, 2005
Within 10 Min.
You start to absorb calories-simple carbs within 10 minutes but protien and fat take longer, on average about 1-6 hours. It would take that long to absorb all of it but not much is absorbed for the first hour unless you have simple carbs on an empty stomach.
|

replied July 15th, 2012
That sounds about right
|

replied January 22nd, 2006
I heard it was 3 hours
|

Thats a good question, I was wondering the same thing. I always just figured as long as you can still throw it up you're saving yourself at least a few of the calories. Once I tried throwing something up at night what had eaten for breakfast and it just wouldnt come out. And I felt horrible b/c it hurt more then when you just throw up right after eating. I realie I was no help. Sorry.
|

Experienced User
Although as soon as you eat something, your body uses the energy in it, it doesnt digest it so you can still throw it up. Proteins and fats take 4.5 hours to work their way through your stomache, so after that, basically, your screwed. Carbohydrates take 3 hours. My binges go for 3 hours usually. They are long. I feel fat.
|

replied January 27th, 2010
i am just starting to throw up my food... do u have to do it right after? and i am taking laxatives too... do they really work? also i keep feeling like im starving and i want to eat and eat i cant stop thinking about it? any tips... and how long until i will start to lose weight and how fast?
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
I have had an eating disorder where I would throw up everything that I ate, sometimes I would not eat at all. This did not help me lose weight, It only made me feel worse about myself. It made me lose hair and my eye lashes and eyebrows. I also have bad health problems from doing that. Don't ruin the unique and beautiful body God has blessed you with. Be happy with what you got and who you are, because no one can be YOU! Everyone comes in different shapes and sizes. Don't kill yourself from the inside out just because you want to fit it. I mean really, is fitting in really that important. Find people who love you the way you are. If you want to lose a little weight, lose it in a healthy way. Eat smaller portions, eat veggies, meat, Healthy things and don't be afraid to eat a little bit of sweetness every once in awhile! Find a workout plan, find a gym, find people to workout with. Surround yourself with people that love you. Don't destroy yourself, it's not worth it. I really care, I'm not just saying this. ~Zephaniah 3:17~
"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."
|

replied September 23rd, 2012
Thank you<3
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied April 18th, 2012
I am embarassed to say I have been doing it off and on for 30 years. It is true. I have had most of my teeth crowned because of how eroded they became. I have a pacemaker because of a heart condition it caused. I have weak bones. Please get help. I have a psyc and typically I lie to him about the truth. I don't know why. If you can STOP.
|
Users who thank waytoolong for this post: jessgoddard 

replied April 18th, 2012
Please, I beg of you, if you are still doing it stop. I have been doing it for 30 years now. Seriously, I have a bad heart and most of my front teeth have been replaced. I beg of you, don't.
|

replied January 28th, 2010
i was told that your body can start absorbing calories while its in your mouth,not sure if thats true
i was told it took around 2 hours to digest food but doesnt it all depend on how fast your metabolism is
when i purge food its basically seconds to minutes after ive eaten,this is because i eat feel guilty and have a massive urge to vomit it.almost like when you have an inch its hard to ignore
|

replied April 11th, 2012
Yes but very small amounts. The Amalase enzyme in saliva begins to break down the food with amalose sugar which is basically carbs.
|

replied January 28th, 2010
lilmomma i hate vomiting food,id rather restrict food but hunger always beats me and i end up eating feeling guilty then vomiting after.once your in the cycle its like a drug.i can vomit 12 times a day.though ive now decreased this to 3-6 times,its not nice at all.if you have only just started vomiting try and stop.orginally when you vomit u lose weight but then you stop losing it,believe me i know.your body slows your metabolism down so you dont burn as much calories and you weight stabilises..well thats what mine has done,you might be different
|

replied January 29th, 2010
its the same with me... i do really good and then i just cant help it i go and ruin it by eating... so i throw it up... what else can i do? i already ate it and if i let myself digest it then i will gain weight
i started dieting in september because i had two kids in the last two yrs... i was excercising and only eating one small meal of lean protein and veggies per day and it was working great... i got down to 125 which is only ten lbs heavier than i was before i got pregnant the first time.... then i got pregnant again and had a miscarriage... i also started using the nuva ring as birth control because i dont want anymore kids i have since gained fifteen lbs and the dieting and excercise isnt working... i cant starve myself all together because i always give in and eat... thats why i throw it up now.... i think my weight gain is a combo of the miscarriage and the birth control which i cant stop using because i dont want any more kids and i usually do it right after too like as soon as i am done eating but my bf is getting suspicious and hes always around so i was asking cus i wanted to know if i could wait a bit so it wouldnt be so obvious to him... how long do u think it will take for me to lose 35 lbs?? i figure i should shoot for 15lbs lower than my goal weight cus once i start eating again and stop throwing it up i know i will gain like ten lbs cus my body will store the calories... the whole starvation mode thing.... i just want my old body back.... thanks for the advice tho kazza .... and in ur mouth? wow that sucks cus sometimes i just put food in my mouth and chew it then spit it out without swallowing so i can still taste it and try and trick myself into feeling like im not missing out on anything... i guess if u can absorb carbs in ur mouth this is pointless....
|

replied January 29th, 2010
oh ya and do taking laxatives work?
|

replied April 30th, 2013
Laxatives can work, but about 90% of the calories you consumed will still be absorbed. The reason is that most of the calories are absorbed in the small intestine, and Laxatives mainly effect your large intestine. The pregnancy and miscarriage cause your body to increase Estrogen production. Estrogen does encourage fat storage, but as time goes on your bodies hormones will balance themselves out. This may not be easy, but rather than one meal a day, eat 6 times a day in small portions. This keeps your insulin levels more steady, which reduces the desire to binge eat. Allow youreslf around 4 months to lose 30 pounds. Since I have started studying nutrition, I have had a much easier time controlling my body composition through nutrition and exercise rather than vomiting. I still do binge and purge, particularly in times of high stress, but it's become much less frequent. P.S. It's hard to push yourself to start eating 6 times a day, but I can promise you it will pay off later.
|

replied April 30th, 2013
Laxatives can work, but about 90% of the calories you consumed will still be absorbed. The reason is that most of the calories are absorbed in the small intestine, and Laxatives mainly effect your large intestine. The pregnancy and miscarriage cause your body to increase Estrogen production. Estrogen does encourage fat storage, but as time goes on your bodies hormones will balance themselves out. This may not be easy, but rather than one meal a day, eat 6 times a day in small portions. This keeps your insulin levels more steady, which reduces the desire to binge eat. Allow youreslf around 4 months to lose 30 pounds. Since I have started studying nutrition, I have had a much easier time controlling my body composition through nutrition and exercise rather than vomiting. I still do binge and purge, particularly in times of high stress, but it's become much less frequent. P.S. It's hard to push yourself to start eating 6 times a day, but I can promise you it will pay off later.
|

replied January 30th, 2010
ive never tried laxatives apparently they do.i never knew this but apparently anorexics can also binge as well.its known as the purging/binging type anorexic where they eat little calories and then say a week or so later they become so hunger they just eat everything in sight and then purge it out,some anorexics i know do this and say its as if there body and mind have separated and they just grab food and eat it without any thought.sounds like me yet i am told i am more bulimic,very confusing lol,ah well.
i read this article of a girl who had 100 laxatives a day and did lose a lot of weight.she went below 5st was in a chat mag
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
This Forum is for discourgaing this behavior and helping each other...Do not give any advice unless it is helpful to this subject matter....Our aim is battling this disease and showing ways to overcome purging or being anorexic...In the futre any posts encouraging this problem or informing each other how to do make it more effective will be deleted...Take care....

Caroline
|

replied May 17th, 2011
It's one thing to try battle this disease, and try to be ignorant like if it doesn't happen. Some of us are living with it and have to deal with it regardless if we're trying to quit or not. So please, shut up. Even if we throw up we still feel guilty. We still look in the mirror and feel fat. We go through tons of toothbrush. Our throats burn. We're LIVING with this. We need answers to make us feel like this is all worth something.
Instead of giving us all of these websites, how about you stand in our positions. Wouldn't you want to know how long it takes for your body to absorb calories? Sorry you ladies are all skinny model figures with high self esteem. Not all of us feel that way and even if we exercise it doesn't come off, this is sometimes our only option.
|

replied May 17th, 2011
It's one thing to try to battle this disease, and to be ignorant like if it doesn't happen. Some of us are living with it and have to deal with it regardless if we're trying to quit or not. So please, shut up. Even if we throw up we still feel guilty. We still look in the mirror and feel fat. We go through tons of toothbrush. Our throats burn. We're LIVING with this. We need answers to make us feel like this is all worth something.
Instead of giving us all of these websites, how about you stand in our positions. Wouldn't you want to know how long it takes for your body to absorb calories? Sorry you ladies are all skinny model figures with high self esteem. Not all of us feel that way and even if we exercise it doesn't come off, this is sometimes our only option.
|

why should our comments be filtred? the whole point of a forum is to ask and view questons and answers from different pple... why do u have such a problem with what we are talking about... at least i got some answers from the posts unlike urs...
|

and in case u didnt read before posting ur own message.... she did give me advice on "overcoming" this issue
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
|

replied January 31st, 2010
whoops sorry i didnt mean for my posts to come across as if i was trying to help someone have an ED.i just answered as honestly as i could
|

replied February 15th, 2010
PLS BE KIND THIS IS UR LIFE UR PLAYING WITH
Wow I am shocked by what I have read on here.. I just wanted to find out about the timing of calorie intake after u eat something..What i got from reading everyones post with an xeception of one or two, was how to purge and become anorexic..This site is scary and I hope that NO ONE will take these people serious... self image doesnt start with ur outter self..Its doesnt hurt to be pretty but trust me after ED's and many surgerys I STILL DIDNT like how I looked untill I came to know ME from the inside out and worked on being a better person... Eat small portions more often,lessen stress, and EXERCISE... focus on smaller goals such as walking for 30 min not loosing 3 pounds..The weight will come off and u wont have to feel guilty because u did it the right healthy way... I'm no Doctor, but having had battle an ED myself PLEASE PLEASE LOVE urself and do whats RIGHT..U R SMART PEOPLE and DESERVE to LIVE a LONG LIFE...
|
Users who thank sdoss76 for this post: antianamia 

replied November 4th, 2012
Same with me! These commenters have a pretty unhealthy way of viewing things (no matter how you justify it)
|

replied May 18th, 2010
I'd like to know the answer to that one too. If my body has already taken in the calories, then it's not worth it to purge
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2010
Don't feed other people's Eating Disorders!
I agree with Caroline. Although you don't want to be filtering your comments, you have to remember there are a lot of other p people reading this stuff -- a lot of people who are isolated, desperate and taken over by their illness. Coming onto a forum for many people is a step in the direction of seeking support for recovery. We often only need the tiniest bit of encouragement and our EDs will flair and we will convince ourselves that all the behaviours are justified. The reality is that all of these methods -- purging, restricting, laxitives -- all only lead to more suffering, more health problems and by no means guarantee weight loss. Weight loss might happen initially but our bodies are clever things -- your weight will quickly stabalise as your body adjusts to your new habits.

EDs aren't really about the food. That's the hard bit - you need to figure out why you despise your weight so much that you would want to harm yourself. I know your kids wouldn't want their mum suffering. Try to treat your own body as you would treat your children's bodies and you will realise that it's not worth the pain (and that you don't deserve the pain)

Good luck.
|

replied May 1st, 2013
Some eating disorders are about the food, it depends on the person and the type of disorder. Anorexia is less about the food, and more about the body Image. Bulimia and Binge Eating disorders often have a lot to do with the food, or the lack of control over food. This is often due to food triggering a reward response in the brain, which creates an unconscious need for food. Mix that with a desire to be fit and healthy, and someone can typically live a very healthy diet, and then screw it all up by losing control and consuming thousands of calories in one binge. With many bulimics, it's much more about the guilt and shame of losing control over their food, reversing all their hard work in a short time period.
But again, it varies from person to person.
|
12 >>