Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Pain After Gallbladder Surgery - Driving Me Crazy!!!

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Hi
i had my gallbladder removed by laproscopic surgery six weeks ago. While the severe pain from gallstones is gone I am experiencing constant nagging pain under my right ribs which radiates to my back. I also have some discomfort at times where my gallbladder was. Has anyone experienced this type of pain so long after surgery. I am going in for some tests next week, at this point not sure what they are going to do. A couple of my ribs have sore spots - I am not experiencing fever or nausea. Hope this goes away - it is driving me crazy!! Can't sleep.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mizfit
|

replied November 18th, 2005
I had my gb removed 6 weeks ago & am still experiencing some soreness. Some niggles under my ribs from time to time & also some soreness around the main incision in the middle of my ribcage. I saw the surgeon today who told me that some soreness was still to be expected. Its good that the drs are looking into why you are still getting this discomfort. Could be a slight problem with the common bile duct, which can be sorted out.
|

replied January 7th, 2006
I had my gallbladder out 4 months ago and have continued to have pains as well. Most of the time they are mild nagging pains in my upper right quad, but I get attacks of severe pain. Also have had problems with acid reflux since the surgery. They tried giving me cramping medication to treat for ibs and that didn't help. I got a blood order to test my liver enzymes while I was having an attack. They were very abnormal. Now they're telling me I have spincter of oddi disfunction. They'll do and ercp to do further tests.
|

replied March 26th, 2007
After Gallbladder Surgery
I just had gallbladder surgery last wed.the21th of march. I came home that evening feeling good. The next day I started feeling very sick. I started having gas pain's so bad!!! I had my son buy some baby gas drops for me to take. I took the whole bottle to help. It didn't. The pain got so severe I really thought I was dying. I could hardly speak. My son ran and got a neighbor who is a nurse. All I kept saying was am going to die. I was laying on the floor of the kitchen because the cool ground felt good against my sweating body. My neighbor said I was having anxiety and was scared I was really going to die. She started rubbing my back to help take my mind of the burning pain I had in my stomach. My rib's hurt so bad, my chest,and I just kept burping. I was taken to the emergency room. They put in a drip. 11:00pm that night I got a room.
Pain medican and nausea medican was put in the drip- the next day the doctor had ordered a cat scan. It showed nothing> I came home that evening. I still feel sick suffering with gas in between the shoulders always burping and feeling sick inside. My sister did some research on the net. My 8 year old Godchild who wants to be a vet. saw several gallbladder surgeries on horses and told my sister the gas had to come out though the shoulders. It is a different kind of gas. My sister told her she didn't know what she was saying. When she looked on the internet she was right. I'm still suffering with this gas pain. I saw on a site to take active charcoal. Does anyone know if this helps?
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
man your makin me nervous, i have my gallbladder removed april 5th 2007, i dont wanna be miserable all the time afterwards. SOme people say they feel alot better after the surgery some i guess not suck luck i hope im one of the few lucky ones lol.
|

replied March 27th, 2007
Gallbladder
LAST NIGHT I STARTED TAKING TRAMADOL A GENERIC FOR ULTRACET THE PAIN WENT AWAY. EVERY 4-6 HOURS I'M TAKING IT NOW. I WAS TOLD THAT IF THE DR. GIVES YOU A SHOT OF TRAMADOL AFTER SURGERY YOU WON'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM...MAKE SURE YOU GET THE SHOT. THE PAIN IS CAUSED FROM THE CARBON DIOXIDE THEY BLOW YOU UP WITH TO TAKE OUT THE GALLBLADDER. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SURGERY. I'LL SAY A PRAYER FOR YOU.
P.S. GET A MASSAGE ON YOUR SHOULDERS AND BETWEEN THEM ON YOUR BACK IT HELPS TOO!!
|

replied April 17th, 2007
Right Side Under Rib Cage Hurts
I HAD GALLBLADER SURGERY ABOUT 15MONTHS AGO AND EVER SINCE THEN I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM. THEY KEEP TELLING ME THAT I HAVE IBS BUT I KNOW I DONT HAV THIS BECAUSE MY GRAND MOHTER HAS IT AND I HAVE LOOKED UP ON THE INTERNET AT THE SYMPTOMS AND THEY ARE NOTHING LIKE THIS. IT FEELS LIKE SOME ONE IS STABING ME IT HURTS SO BAD.

PLEASE HELP ME IF ANY ONE HAS THE ANSWER TO THIS.
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
There are several reasons to have pain following gallbladder surgery. One is that the body has simply gotten into the habit of sending pain signals to your brain from that area, and your body needs some time to re-adjust. Another could be simply post-surgical pain from poking around in your insides. Additionally, there could be gall stones trapped in the bile duct, so you should ensure with your surgeon that this was looked into. Pain associated with fever and flu-like symptoms could be signs of infection, in which case you should contact your surgeon directly. The risk of post surgical infection diminishes sharply after 6 weeks. The other caus for this pain could be post-cholcystectomy syndrome, or spasm of the sphincter of oddi, or bile duct dysfunction-but these conditions are fairly rare, affecting a small percentage of patients. Physicians are not likely to diagnose this until 6-12 months after surgery if you are still having pain. If your pain continues, notify your physician or gastroenterologist. Do not let them say "I have nothing to offer you". If they do, then ask to be referred to someone who CAN help. It is important to note that most pain medications cause the bile duct to spasm. Morphine, Demerol, Vicodin, and percocet have this side effect. This makes bile duct dysfunction very tricky to treat. But please remember that you have a right to appropriate pain control and your physician has a responsibility to provide this to you while you are being worked up. Good luck to you.
|

replied April 30th, 2007
Help! Having Massive Chest Pain After Gallbladder Surgery
I had my gallbladder removed on 4/13. since then I have been experiencing an intense pain in my chest area right above the top incision from my gallbladder removal. It is not the incision that hurts. It is a strong stabbing pain right where my rib cage connects under my chest and goes in to my back. It gives me shortness of breath and I cant get comfortable. My hands feel numb some too when it happens. It had been waking me up in the middle of the night, but now happens at different times. My doctors have given me an anti inflammatory med. to take. so far does not help. They also gave me pain pills that do not help. Any ideas? I also have had very high liver enzymes lately, one of the reasons why I had gallbladder removal since it was only funtioning at 12%. What is this pain I am having and should I be concerned? When will it go away? Why are my doctors not concerned? I am only 27. HELP!
|

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Help! Having Massive Chest Pain After Gallbladder Surger
alsups wrote:
I had my gallbladder removed on 4/13. since then I have been experiencing an intense pain in my chest area right above the top incision from my gallbladder removal. It is not the incision that hurts. It is a strong stabbing pain right where my rib cage connects under my chest and goes in to my back. It gives me shortness of breath and I cant get comfortable. My hands feel numb some too when it happens. It had been waking me up in the middle of the night, but now happens at different times. My doctors have given me an anti inflammatory med. to take. so far does not help. They also gave me pain pills that do not help. Any ideas? I also have had very high liver enzymes lately, one of the reasons why I had gallbladder removal since it was only funtioning at 12%. What is this pain I am having and should I be concerned? When will it go away? Why are my doctors not concerned? I am only 27. HELP!

The pain you are experiencing is probably post-surgical pain. When I had my GB out, i did not have much of that right away, but it developed about 2-3 weeks afterward and stuck around to annoy me for about 4 weeks. It really takes about 6 weeks to get back to normal. If after this time you are still having the pain, then further investigation should be done to rule out other things.
|

replied August 3rd, 2007
Pain Almost One Year Out...
I had my gallbladder out laparscopically 8/28/06. Everything was okay, surgeon was really nice and said that would have pain up to a year after. Well, I've been getting naseous lately, and last night had what felt like the attacks used to - pain between my shoulder blades, to the point where I couldn't get comfortable. DH rubbing constantly for 15 minutes finally helped. Strangely, it came on right after drinking a Mike's Hard Berry, which I rarely do - boy did that kill the buzz! LOL
I have an appointment with a gp next Wednesday, mostly just to see what they say. I probably will have to go back to surgeon, but I'm a wuss - it will be hard for me to tell him that I'm in pain and I need something done.
Did anybody still have pain and have to have something done afterwards?
|

replied April 25th, 2009
any one who had gb. surgery
4.24.2009 I Had my gallbladder taken out today.have pain still it is normal .after all they took one of your organs out.iwould imagine it will take time to get used .i have had stomach problems all my life.i just found out i am allergic to fructose &lactose.that was causing ibm.problims.hope this helps.take the test they are painless.
|

replied May 18th, 2009
still looking for answers
I had my galbladder removed about 5 weeks ago. I've been having SEVERE pain "attacks" ever since. The pain starts in my upper abdomen under my ribs, radiates through to my back. It is sharp and horribly painful. I have been to the E.R. on numerous occassions, CT scans show nothing, liver enzymes are high, but they tell me I'm constipated and send me home. I am having regular bowel movements, this is NOT constipation. It's similar, yet worse than before my galbladder was removed. I had an endoscopy done last week, it showed nothing. I had an MRCP done Friday, and am waiting results, but I don't have much hope of them figuring it out after reading the numerous posts on this sight as well as others of so many people experiencing the same thing. The E.R. now thinks I just show up weekly to get shot up with dilaudid. I can't believe there are so many of us out there with the same pain and no one has any answers. My family doc put me on prednisone, which makes me feel good in general, but I still have the pain attacks, and nothing helps. The attacks last anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes. I'm not even sure the dilaudid does anything and at this point I'd die before showing up at the E.R. again so they can send me home telling me I'm constipated and treat me like a drug addict. Please post if anyone has any answers, anything suggestions for relief.
|

replied June 2nd, 2009
Pain in gall bladder almost year later....
I had my GB surgery last 08/25/08. It was painful and the gas used to bloat your insides up so they can see better did make things uncomfortable. The sharp pain maybe 6 weeks after that you feel right under sternum when you breath is your diaphragm, which will subside eventually. However, I am still having the same dull to sharp pain under my right rib cage and radiating up towards my back that I had before the surgery. Sometimes it is certain foods I eat or if I drink alchohol, sometimes it's starts up while I am just sitting here at work. It's annoying that the doctor just starts throwing all kinds of things out there like maybe I have a broken rib or something and sent me out to get Xrays. I don't have a very good insurance plan. I know I don't have the money to be paying all kinds of ruling out. I get frustrated because it really hurts some times. Its not in my head. I know two other people that had the same surgery done. They are experiencing the same symptoms. I think I will research post-cholcystectomy syndrome, or spasm of the sphincter of oddi.
|

replied August 20th, 2009
I'm do to have my gallbladder out aug. 21 and you guys are scaring the hell out of me.
|

replied November 17th, 2013
I hope you didn't have to have it removed...it is best to flush out your gallbladder. I made the mistake of having mine removed Sad I don't trust doctors anymore after this!!!
|

replied November 20th, 2009
gallstones after having gallbladder out
hi all i hav just been reading your storys on pain after havin gallbladder out i had my gallbladder out oct 2007 and the last few months ive been having horrific pain but it seems right in the middle of my ribs just above where my gallbladder was taken out my doctor going to send me for a scan in a couple of weeks it sounds to me i might hav a stone in my liver from what ive been reading my pain seems more on the left side your storys hav helped me a lot knowing im not the only one out there suffering thank you all hope you all get better soon tina from blackpool
|

replied October 20th, 2010
promblems with gallbladder surgury
feel bad for every one 2 years later top in cision pain cat scan shows nothing makes you feel like you are crazy i wont give up all of us have the same symptoms mine wake me up out of a sound sleep in tears no warning signs worse then before surgury wondering who is the doctor / surgeon only thing works for me is rubbing the back to were the pain radiant and praying to god the paion goes away fast
|

replied December 26th, 2010
I am scheduled to have my gallbladder removed tomorrow morning. I'm concerned about the post-op pain. The brochure said I should be back to normal activity within 5 to 10 days. How realistic is this?
|

replied November 17th, 2013
Not realistic at all!!! I had my surgery 12 days ago and am in bed in a lot of pain !!!! I suggest flushing your gallbladder asap... this was bad advise given to me by my doctors Sad
|

replied December 23rd, 2011
Severe pain after gallbladder removal
I had my gallbladder removed the year O.J. Simpson killed his wife or didn't. It was done with the lazer. I had suffered over a year and had dropped 25 lbs cause all I could eat was baby food. The pain was hoprrible and no doctor would listen to me. It was stress, depression, imagination or a pulled muscle! I finally found a surgeon that told me mine just wasn't working properly. No stones. He did the lazer surgery on me and when I woke up I was in the worst pain I have ever been in my life. I was screaming at the top of my lungs that there was a knife in me stabbing my back. I was given morphene to sedate me because I was getting near stroke level. They kept me sedated for a while before I was discharged. I was also given more xrays and told nothing was wrong. I stayed on pain meds for a good while after and told it just took some people more time to heal. To this day I still suffer with bouts of pain. Some days worse than others. I did find something interesting when I thought maybe a chiropractor might give me some relief. Before he would touch me I had to have a full body xray. He came back to me and asked when I had broken my ribs!!! I have never had a broken bone in my life!! What was he talking about? Well the best I have been able to pin it down to is the gallbladder removal. Ive been told they either filled me with to much gas that it cracked my ribs or the tossed me around on the table and broke them then. You would have thought with all the tests and xrays I had after that they would have been mentioned it. Broke ribs? You cant do anything for or so Im told.
|

replied April 3rd, 2013
Re: still looking for answers
mizfit wrote:
I had my galbladder removed about 5 weeks ago. I've been having SEVERE pain "attacks" ever since. The pain starts in my upper abdomen under my ribs, radiates through to my back. It is sharp and horribly painful. I have been to the E.R. on numerous occassions, CT scans show nothing, liver enzymes are high, but they tell me I'm constipated and send me home. I am having regular bowel movements, this is NOT constipation. It's similar, yet worse than before my galbladder was removed. I had an endoscopy done last week, it showed nothing. I had an MRCP done Friday, and am waiting results, but I don't have much hope of them figuring it out after reading the numerous posts on this sight as well as others of so many people experiencing the same thing. The E.R. now thinks I just show up weekly to get shot up with dilaudid. I can't believe there are so many of us out there with the same pain and no one has any answers. My family doc put me on prednisone, which makes me feel good in general, but I still have the pain attacks, and nothing helps. The attacks last anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes. I'm not even sure the dilaudid does anything and at this point I'd die before showing up at the E.R. again so they can send me home telling me I'm constipated and treat me like a drug addict. Please post if anyone has any answers, anything suggestions for relief.

This sounds exactly like my problem. This is what happens to me as well!
|