Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Enlarged Lower Left Rib

Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....
Hi,

i've noticed on my left side that my bottom rib seems to becoming enlarged and is slightly protruding. There is no real pain associated with it, however I wonder if it may be getting larger. It feels like a growth of the bone itself, or maybe inflammation underneath that is pushing the ribcage outward.
I have been noticing it for the last few years but no doctor or xray has shown anything, or could offer any suggestions as to what it may be. I have also lately been experiencing something the doctor thinks is hyperventilation.
Also, when compared to the right side which feels smooth and has no protrusion, there is a larger indent under the rib cage that becomes quite noticeable when I breathe in and my arms are raised.
Has anyone experienced anything like this???
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Dragonfish
|

replied January 27th, 2006
I too have a lower left rib that pokes out especially when I lay down you can see it. It seems to be getting bigger also in the last year. Noticed it about two years ago. I have not had it checked by a doctor yet.
|

replied January 28th, 2006
I have the same thing but its not my bottom left rib its about the third one up and I only noticed it about 3 days ago.I havent been to the doctor about it and I have no idea what it is.
|

replied January 31st, 2006
I had my rib checked out 2day and its just floating rib :d
|

replied January 3rd, 2007
You
If you want to know more about mesothelioma let's to visit this site :

http://www.Mesothelioma-vn.Co.Nr

one of the best mesothelioma website news in the world !!!
|

replied December 12th, 2007
I am also having a growth at the left side bottom.Noticed it 2 years ago .it is growing.i don't hav any pain.does any one hav any clue??I haven't been to the doctor.

|

replied December 22nd, 2008
Me too
I have it too. It could possibly be scoliosis, a back condition where your spine is not straight, therefore poking on of your rips out. I guess we'll see!
|

replied April 26th, 2010
me too =/
Same problem here, and i went to a doctor and had an xray. they said it looks normal, but it doesn''t at all. usually there isn''t any pain, but it can be uncomfortable =/ i''d really love to know what it is too
|