Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Alternative Medicine Forum

Chiropractor Vs Massage (Page 1)

The day after thanksgiving I lifted a heavy tv and apparently hurt myself. The pain in my upper left shoulder, neck and full length of my arm has persisted for two weeks now, though it's not as bad. Yesterday I went to see a chiropractor for the first time. He took some exrays. Put me through some strength exercises and then "cracked" my back about three times. Then he did the "head snap" which was scary to me. After this he put me back through the strength exercises and I did notice a difference and my neck wasn't hurting as bad. However, I have been hurting constantly in the shoulder blade area and down my left arm, he said nothing about the pain in my arm and didn't even feel on it. My question is this, how do I know that it's a chiropractor I need to see and not something in the muscles that a massage therpaist could work out? The xray also showed that my vertebrae curves in the wrong direction and he said that the bones would eventually fuse together if I didn't work to correct that and he gave me some specific exercises to do each day. My concern is getting "cracked" if I don't really need to and require further "cracking" that might not be necessary. Any advice? Thank you!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper scotti2000
|

replied December 18th, 2003
First off, I'd suggest that you alternate heat and ice in the area around your shoulder and shoulder blade. This will decrease the inflammation and any swelling. Secondly, continue with the strethening exercises that the Dr. Gave you and also continue with the adjustments. Ask him a lot of questions! Ask him why he thinks your vertebrae are going to fuse... Is it b/c you already have djd or scoliosis or what??
And of course you should see a massage therapist on a regular basis! Even if it's just a chair massage at the mall 1x/week on your neck and shoulders. Your muscles have been pulled and irritated so, you need to keep them relaxed with massage therapy. Prevention is the key to not getting hurt again. Keeping up with the chiropractic adjustments and massage therapy will keep your bones in alignment (which will effect your whole body, not just what he pops) and massage therapy will help his adjustments last longer. If the muscles are too tight around your spine (or any bone for that matter) they will keep pulling your spine out of alignment. If they are kept loose... The vertabrae will stay in place longer. Not to mention all the other wonderful benefits of massage therapy. Try to schedule the massage right before the adjustment so that you move easier.

Lastly, make sure you find a chiropractor and therapist that you like!! Everyone is different in their techniques and you shouldn't settle for one you aren't completely comfortable with!!! Bedside manner is a big deal but, ultimately stick with the ones that are getting the job done to your satisfaction. Good luck.
|

replied December 22nd, 2003
Experienced User
If you have health insurance, go to your primary physician. They can tell you better if it is a problem with your muscles, or bones. They they can refer you to a physical therapist. Physical therapists are great!!! They have all kinds of ways to take away the pain and rebuild strength where you need it. And they usually have a licensed massage therapist on staff. Let us know how it goes.
|

replied January 10th, 2004
Pain And Feeling Generally Unwell
I have had pain in my back/chest area on the left side for nearly 2 years now. The pain is worse at night and when I breath deep or stretch my upper body. The pain is down the side of my shoulderblade from the top, back of my neck to the bottom of my rib cage. I often get pain in my neck, shoulder and down my left arm, sometimes even the side of my face hurts. I've recently been feeling some slight tingling in my left fingers.

I have been quite poorly over the last two years and have recently been diagnosed with underactive thyroid which is currently being treated with 100 mcg thyroxine.And 10 mcg lyothironine daily. I am also receiving treatment for a fungal infection which affects one toenail on my right foot.

I feel generally unwell and suffer constantly from thrush infections. I have also been having painful ulcers in my mouth. Inside my mouth along each cheek it feels like a raised vain which is sore and ulcerated.

I think I must be very run down and my whole body seems out of sync. Has anyone any ideas if I may have some problem that is triggering my general health. I am 41 year old female, petite build, 5' tall and 8.75 stone.
|

replied May 1st, 2004
Chiropractic
More bad advise,
first it is never recommeded to put heat on an acute injury.. While heat does promote healing, it also will also cause more imflamation, swelling, and pain. If anything for acute injuries, it is best to follow the rule of rice.. Rest--ice--- compression--elevation. After 72 hours, then heat is appropiate. For my friend who suggested that someone go to an md to decide whether it was muscle or bone and you make a statement about something your really not qualified to do, or give your opinion, and don't state it as such it could be misleading and not allow for someone to make the best educated choice as to thier health care. Chiropractic does not claim to cure anything. It is a wide held belief that when the nervous system is interfered with it does not allow for proper function to occur between the brain and its cells, tissues, and organs. The nervous system is the master controllor of the whole body and when subluxated (interfered with) the body can not express its full potential and could result in dis-ease, and if still not corrected will result in symptoms. Chiropractic does not treat symptoms but looks to remove the interference, which result in the body being able to heal itself. We are the only profession that is trained and qualified to detect and correct this interference. If you took the time to research chiropractic, you would find that hour for hour, subject for subject, allopathic medicine and chiropractic are equally educated. The only difference is the philosophy of how health is maintained. Chiropractic believes that health comes from above, down, inside, out. We are self contained organisms and don't require drugs and surgery from outside to stay healthy, we need only not to be interfered with. It is in alignment with alll the physical laws of the universe that pertain to health. Allopathic medicine, in my opinion, looks to control and play god, by separating a fool from his/her symptoms. That is the problem with health care today.
|

replied October 22nd, 2011
Chiropractic
As a Chiropractic Physician, I have to disagree with the statement about allopathic medicine. They do have a role in healthcare and anyone who thinks otherwise is very shortsighted, just as they are about us, and needs to open their eyes. While I agree they over prescribe a lot of the time for certain conditions, that is mainly from their poor education and medical school bias on alternative options for treatments. Also, fringe chiropractors do not help bridge the gap on the differences and benefits of Chiropractic care. It will take all of healthcare working together to provide the best care we can for the public at large.

After all, that is why we practice, is it not? To give the best care we can to those who are seeking and needing help? At least as far as I am concern it is why I practice.
|

replied May 4th, 2004
Dr scotti

do you use that same paragraph all the time?
|

replied May 4th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Why are you badgering saturn24 about not being qualified to give advice? There was absolutely nothing wrong with her advice! She said to go to the doctor to see if the injury was musle or bone, what in the heck is wrong with that? And what is wrong with physical therapy? I have been in physical therapy several times and it was the only thing that helped me, and I think that "qualifies" me to give my advice.
And p.S this forum is for people to give their advice and specifically states that it is not intended to replace your doctor's advice. Nor does it claim to be "correct" it is advice, plain and simple.
And I am sorry but there is nothing and I repeat nothing wrong with telling someone to see their primary care physician. Most insurance will only cover chiropractic care if you have a referral anyway.
Wow, I am glad my chiropractor is not mean and accusatory like you or I would never go back to her.
|

replied January 27th, 2017
Yea, I don't understand why Saturn24 is being sort of attacked. It was solid advice.
|

replied May 4th, 2004
I did not see my statement as badgering, if it was taken that way, I am sorry. I am here to stimulate conversation, and perhaps contribute a different perpective as to the way health is obtained. I don't have any problem with someone going to an md, physical therapist, or any other health professional when it is warrented. I have spent hours replying to post in an effort to help, not hinder anyones wellbeing. I think when someone seeks out a forum such as this, that they are searching for a solution that they were not able to get in the traditional medical modal. I am encouraging people to think, ask, and question, because I believe the answers come from education. I am not here to pick fights but try to help, even though I may have a difference of opinion. I appreciate your reponse.
|

replied May 5th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Well, if that is the case then why do you tell people not to give advice which you do not feel they are "qualified" to give?
|

replied May 5th, 2004
I think my message is very clear about why people should not give advise about things they are not qualified to do. First of all, everybody is different and what did work for someone, could be a problem, and hurt someone else.. If you have electrical problems in your house would you go to a plumber for advise? I realize that people mean well here and are trying to help, I appreciate that. I have a concern when someone that is not a chiropractor tries to inject his/her opinion, not state it as an opinion, and mislead others. The forum started out with a question comparing chiropractic to massage. Being as I do both and qualified I would say they are two totally different areas. The chiropractor is an energy doctor, they look to see that there is no interference from the brain to the rest of the body. If there is it's like cutting the electrical cord to a plasma tv.. You could have great components but with out power it is useless. A massage therapist works with matter. The break up tissue muscles that have been over stressed so the fibers can realign and heal properly. The also move lymphatics, and some do trigger point work to release tightened muscles. As I said before, one is not better then the other and have a different out come goal. I think it is misleading for a chiropractor that takes a patients, bills for massage, and is not really qualified to do it. It prevents the patient from getting the proper care from a real massage therapist and confuses what benefit is received.
|

replied June 6th, 2004
Hey hot as frick, I hope you honestly don't think that just because you went through physical therapy qualifies you to give advice on it. I had open knee surgery. This does not qualify me to give advice on the subject
|

replied June 6th, 2004
hotasfrick wrote:
well, if that is the case then why do you tell people not to give advice which you do not feel they are "qualified" to give?
there is a difference between giving sound advice and opinion albeit a small one.
|

replied June 11th, 2008
I ended up here hoping to hear about other experiences in the chiropractic and massage therapy fields. What I found instead is a bunch of arguing and belittling of others. Thanks for nothing.
|

replied June 2nd, 2009
Anyone know any good Chiropractors in the Los Angeles area?
|

replied June 8th, 2009
I have lower back pain and I am wondering if it is from driving?
|

replied June 17th, 2009
I've tried to massage and heating pads but it my back hasn't been improving. Should I see a chiropractor?
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
The only thing that I would like to say, is that if you go to a licensed massage therapist first, they generally can tell if the pain/issue is from muscular dysfunction. If you go to a chiropractor, it is always beneficial to See a massage therapist in conjuncture. After all, the muscles are what hold the skeletal structure in place. Once the adjustments have been made, massage will help "remind" the muscles to return to a more normal pattern & help to extend or gain maximum relief from those adjustments.
|

replied May 1st, 2010
I understand your apprehension about getting further treatment. It's not uncommon to get tenderness after your first adjustment. There;s often some inflammation associated with the first couple of treatments and that is wehere the discomfort comes from. The best course of action it to discuss how you feel and your concerns with your chiropactor.
|

replied June 15th, 2010
Research has shown that Heart Ratae variability has increased through a spinal adjustment. This stabalizes the immune system I would think a study for massage would also validate this theraputic application.
|

replied July 10th, 2010
Chiropractor, MT effective- FOR ONLY CERTAIN AILMENTS!!
Per Consumer Reports magazine studies, chiropractor is effective- ONLY for relief of minor back pain. Massage is just as effective. For those that bash modern medicine- why did the average life span increase from 60 to 80 in the last 50 years? If you have a infection, do you want antibiotics or a spinal adjustment?? If you're having severe pains, go to the ER for goodness sake! If you're having a heart attack or stroke, a responsible chiropractor would send you there, too!! For minor aches and such, try a chiropractor, try an MT- I'd do that before I took any pills- if they help, good! If not- second opinion!! And you don't need to be a medical professional to know this- it's being an educated consumer. And if any chiropractor or MT say different- stay away! They are the over-selling con artists that make their overall professions look bad.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Sam Visnic
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Antonio Marotta
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski