Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Breast Pain/tenderness 6months After Hysterectomy (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
To whom it may concern...

June 22 of this year I had a full abdominal hysterectomy, they did leave my right ovary however due to my young age, I am 27 rather than slamming me on hrt. Since then i've been noticing that my breasts are extremely sore and tender.. Especially the region directly behind the nipple and areola, I am beginning to get concerned. But is this a normal thing? If so.. Is it temporary? And i've done self exams and in that region sometimes it feels a lil irregular but if I go to press into to examine.. Its very painful. Anyone else out there with this problem? Please help me.

Thank you
~~lilone
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ladylee1979
|

replied November 17th, 2005
Breast Soreness
My dr said it is normal to have breast tenderness around the normal time of your period. If you did not have a total hystercomy. Hope everything goes ok...
|

replied January 21st, 2006
Re: Breast Soreness
I had a partial hysterectomy 5 yrs ago I still have both of my ovaries. And ever since I have had pain in my breasts but lately it seems to be gettin worse and more frequent like all the time. Has anyone else experienced this and what have you done to stop it . I can barely let anything touch them wif out them hurting sooo darn bad. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks
|

replied September 8th, 2011
Tender breasts
I have the same problem, and I am really getting worried. It used to be that I only had the soreness about once or twice a month for a couple days, and for the past about 3 weeks it has been almost constant. My breasts are almost a cup size bigger than normal, and it's like my whole upper chest is sore.

I also have abdominal swelling and gloating, cramping, and nausea, dizziness. It is getting to the point that It is interfering with my every day life.
Help!!
|

replied August 2nd, 2013
I too am having the same issues. I had a full hysterectomy in 2007 I am only 34 and my breast hurt to wear a bra, not wear one, have them touched or the shower to hit them. I have been to embarrassed to go see my dr just to be told its all normal but I am starting to get worried and annoyed. Any advice?
Daisy
|

replied May 6th, 2012
sore breast
I too had a hysterectomy about 3 years ago and my breast are sore so if anybody out there has a solution for this problem or what meds would help it would be so appreciate. Thankx
|

replied December 11th, 2012
SUPER SOAR BREASTS POST HYSTERECTOMY... HELP!!!
Hi, I am 28 years old and on Aug. 27th, 2012 I had my hysterectomy. The only thing that was left behind was my left olvarie because the right was very bad. I have noticed that more and more I am have extreme tenderness in my breasts. I ALWAYS wear a bra and sometime sleep in em. ALWAYS HAVE! Now when I wear one its like I cant get out of it fast enough cause it hurts to be in one. I wear a D-cup and I have to wear underwire. The way I can best describe the discomfort is it is like after having a baby and your breasts are so engorged that you are leaking everywhere and the only release is to pump or feed the baby. I have tried massaging them and sometimes that seems to make it worse. I just dont understand why it is so uncomfortable. If anyone has any helpful ideas please HELP!!! Neutral
|

replied March 18th, 2008
Breast Pain
I also had a hysterectomy 6mos ago. I too still have both of my ovaries but I notice everytime I wake up from a nap or in the morning my breast ache. It started with just my right breast ( under to my armpits) but now I experience the same shooting pains in my left breast. I am very concerned and have been doing self exams and luckily I don't feel any thing abnormal.
|

replied August 26th, 2008
Sore breast
I was just told that after hysterectomy that you can develop fibroid tumors or cysts. I had a total hysterectomy about 3 years ago and found out that I have lesions on both breast. So yes you can have pain and soreness around the breast and armpits. I hope this lets everyone know some answer. I'll find out more when I take some test.
|

replied August 31st, 2008
breast pain
I had the same pain aout 6 months after my surgery. I had a total da vinci. I was given full testing and everything was fine. The dr said that breast pain was normal post hysterectomy specifically near the areola and armpits where there are more nerves.
|

replied May 27th, 2009
Breast Pain
I had a hysterectomy 3 months ago. I kept my left overy. I am only 4 days a month without terrible breast pain. I am considering having the other ovary removed. I am so tired of being in pain. My doctor said it could go away on its own or it will stop when I go through menopause. I'm 46 and really don't want to deal with this another 3-5 years. I am due for my annual mamogram and have to wait for the "4 days" of no pain so that I can do it. My doctor also said that primrose cream could help. Haven't found it yet.
|

replied May 28th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I wish I could help you on this but mine were taken out when I had my Hysterectomy....I have heard of other women with this problem and hopefully one here can shed some light...Either way, good luck...

Good luck,
Caroline
|

replied July 14th, 2009
breast pain after hysterectomy
I had my hysterectomy 3 months ago. I kept both my ovaries. I have very severe breast pain and my doctor has told me to take 100mg vitamins b1 and b6 and primrose oil. Its a lot to take but i am starting to feel a bit better. i still have the pain but its just when i am ovulating which i take some anti-inflammatories at that time. it seems to be working at the moment and i feel good that i am taking natural products.i was also told to ease off caffiene, alcohol and smoking.
|

replied July 14th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I wasn't able to keep my ovaries, but had the same breast pain as you do....I, too, was told to ease up on caffeine...It eventually went away...I think this is kind of part of a Hysterectomy and your body adjusting to the new you....
|

replied September 4th, 2009
Breast discomfort after hysterectomy
I had surgery as well, have my left ovary. Before surgery, I never had breast pain when ovulating. 3 o 4 months after surgery I started experiencing occassional breast pain which may last a whole month. They are more rounder, (positve thing about it --lol) I feel they weigh more when I wake up in the morning. I asked my doctor and he says its normal. I guess since we do not menstruate the body needs to express its self in some way. Right now I have the discomfort. It's better than the nightmare of menstruation!
|

replied October 11th, 2009
breast tendernest after hysterectomy
I thought I was crazy with this breast pain. My Doctor a male was booked when I called to schedule an appointment regarding this. He sent me to one of associates a female I thought good a women. Wrong, she look at me like I crazy when I told her about my breast. I am glad I found this website. Why don't doctors tell you about this before surgery?
|

replied June 4th, 2010
Breast tenderness and pain after hysterectomy
Not only do my breast hurts, they have "clear" liquid, I guest I am lactating, at 50 years of age, my surgery was 2 years ago and I have both my ovaries. They swoll, looks like I about to burst. The pain is so awful. I will cut back on the coffee and try the vitamin and primrose. My male doctor told me I was just having empty nest syndrome. My daughters still lives at home.
|

replied June 24th, 2010
hi,
i had my hysterectomy 3 months ago they left my ovaries. i have such bad pain in my breasts in the morning when i roll over i want to cry i have to hold them when i roll over. and when my kids cuddle up to me i have to put a cushion there. i was getting worried but now i know its normal i will try the vitamins.
but i am going to say to MHURT that i would get a second opinion they say with breast cancer you should look out for discharge and the fact that your swollen too. i really would see another dr
|

replied August 20th, 2010
breast pain after hysterectomy
oh my god thank you ladies I am 47 and have had a hysterectomy 2years ago and having breast pains no leaking form the breast or lumps just tenderness I will try the vitamins and lay off the coffee thank you for this site my doctor just says it apart of getting older
|

replied November 14th, 2010
What an eye opener! I thought I was crazy having such breast pain, and swelling! I am 8 mths post op, and I have discharge from my nipples, and tenderness that sends me over the edge if they are even bumped up against! I was worried about breast cancer, but you all have put me at ease. I had high hormone levels with two ovaries I guess I still have my hormone production with just one! Thanks sista's I am a huge coffee drinker that now will rethink my java habit !
|

replied November 19th, 2010
I am so thankful to find this thread. I had a hysterectomy this last March and I have had more breast pain since then, than I ever had before. My breasts have always gotten sore and sensitive when I was ovulating and had my period, but this more often. I have to say, that it is worse if I consume caffeine and that includes chocolate.(sorry chocolate lovers) I noticed the soreness and pain within a few days of my surgery, (uterus and cervix removed) and I figured it was caused by the surgery, but thought it would go away by now. Apparently not. Going to try the vitamins and primrose! Thanks All~
|
Users who thank bonijo for this post: sylstep 

replied November 21st, 2010
I am greatful for all your postings ladies. I too had a partial hysterectomy 2 years ago and have since developed sensitive, sore breasts, especially in my left side. Sometimes I feel like I was being bitten by ants inside of my breasts,which was really scarry!
I was recently in England and had a second opinion, and breast cancer was ruled out,thanks to Jehovah my GOD.
|

replied November 29th, 2010
Breast Pain after hysterectomy
I had a partial hysterectomy in March 2010 with my right overy remaining. In September of this year I began to feel pain in both breast especially my right breast and they also feel very heavy. I had a mammogram done last week and a bilateral mammogram ultrasound today and was told my breast looked fine. I left the hospital feeling hopeless and alone until I found the site and reading your postings. I wonder if I have my right overy removed if it will ease the pain.
|

replied November 30th, 2010
I had a hysterectomy almost 5 yrs ago. And my breast are painful at times as well. Mine have gotten more painful and the frequency has gotten much worse as time goes by. I also have both of my ovaries. It is nice though to see I am not the only woman going through this!
|

replied August 23rd, 2011
Ladies, I am sooo glad to hear all the reports about the breast pain. I had a partial hysterectomy in May 2010 and my breast has gotten a little bigger and they hurt sooo bad tonite, I want to cry. I didnt know what was going on. I always experience a little tenderness at that time of the month but right now, OMG!!! THEY HURT. I didn't feel the pain until I removed my bra. Thanks for sharing your stories. I feel better knowing its a normal after surgery and I am not alone.
|