Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Stress, Anxiety And Constipation??

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hey all,
i have had an anxiety disorder for as long as I can remember. I have always taken medication for it, but this past year I stopped, thinking I could deal with it myself - and I did - until this past month.
I have had a stressful, anxiety filled month now I am constipated. I have been for 2 weeks. My doctor seems to think this is becuse of my anxiety/stress level.
Can this happen? Can you get constipated from anxiety and stress?

I started my celexa again yesterday my doctor seems to think this will help. I just don't see how my anxiety could have caused this. If anything this is causing me anxiety.
Please help!

Oh, and do you know any better cures than milk of magnesia? That stuff is gross!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile michael322
|

replied November 11th, 2005
Interesting....I have been constipated for many years and I know it's tied to my nerves...I tend to hold my tension in my stomach or smething like that and I am sure it's what causes my problems.

I recently hvae had bouts of anxiety and I am taking an anti-anxiety drug for sleeping, I think it's helping the bowel problems as well. It's good to know that I am not the only person who feels this way.....
|

replied October 20th, 2011
I have also had anxiety problems since I was about 16. And along with it I have had trouble with being constipated. I hold tension in my stomach all the time and believe the stress is what causes it. I am 20 now and am sick and tired of feeling like this. I even had a colonoscopy done when i was 17 and they found nothing. Ever since that i have taken miralax, not metamucil, twice a day. It sometimes helps but not constantly. Ive also eat my vegetables like a good boy since i was born and been active. I'm sick and tired of feeling bloated and constipated all the time. any suggestions would be helpful.
|

replied November 14th, 2005
Re: Stress, Anxiety And Constipation??
Its funny that you ask that, because I think allmost everyone that suffers from anxiety/panic attacks are the same way. I think the reasons are because your stomach is very stress that it doesnt realy do its job. But yeah anxiety/panics/stress will do that to you.

Try taking fiber pills that can help, you can also try like a gas relief they sell all this remedy at wal-mart. Try it and good luck...
Brenda
|

User Profile
replied November 14th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Sometimes you are so tense with stress and anxiety it can mess with your whole sytem also if you read on a lot of the medication that a lot of them do cause constipation. Keep in mind to that we are all different.
|

replied January 3rd, 2011
severe constipation remedy
i've suffered for years with constipation - now i eat lots of fruits and veggies and go to the gym constantly. Yet I still suffered with this! i tried EVERYTHING from every laxative on the market to pills, herbal remedies, many home remedies i even had a colonoscopy! nothing ever worked. my cause of constipation was due to stress. i got my idea from a natropath i read her book and in it she says to drink 1 freshly squeezed lemon juice in a glass of warm water the first thing every morning - i have done this for 5 years now and have been regular like clockwork - my add on to this remedy though is drink the lemon water with a straw as after several months of drinking this my teeth became sensitive so drinking with a straw will eliminate this. i also find this remedy great when you are unwell with a cold.

THIS REMEDY IS CHEAP, NATURAL, AND YOUR BODY WILL LOVE YOU FOR IT!

now my only dilemma now is making sure i have enough lemons in stock...
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2011
HELLO CENIZAS I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU AS I AM A SINGLE FATHER WITH NO FAMILY HELP OR SUPPORT SO YES MY ANXIETY IS HIGH AND I HAVE BEEN CONSTIPATED FOR A GOOD LONG TIME , MY SON IS VER VERBALLY ABUSIVE AND LIKES TO PUSH ME IN FRONT OF HIS FREINDS IN MY HOME TO BE TOUGH WITH ME VERY CHILDISH , SO MY STRESS IS HIGH AND I HAVENT SAT DOWN FOR ALON LONG TIME TO HAVE A PEACE FUL BM AS THERE IS NO PEACE IN THIS HOME I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN TAKE THIS I WOULD NEVER HIT MY SON LORD KNOWS HE PUSHES FOR IT , BUT IM A LITTLE MORE GROWN THAN HIM HE IS MAKING MY LIFE VERY STRESSFULL AND MISERABLE WHAT TO DO
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Hi Michael322....Write in lower case print...Writing in all capital letters in shouting...If you do this your posts will be deleted...Thanks...

Caroline
|

Here I am,been constipated most of my life. But,I"ve been way worse these past few years,and this past 3 months, I haven't had a bowel movement more than 4 times,and that was within the last 2 weeks.I know stress is a factor, my kids, all grown with kids of their own, don't ever come to see me or call me,now they are mad at me for emailing them and saying that they don't love me or they'd phone or come over. I"ve been so stressed this past while, I"ve lost 12 lbs, and have the worst constipation ever. tried everything under the sun, still nothing. I just now drank 1/2 bottle of magnesium citrate, stuff you drink for prepping for a test or surgery. Now, i sit and wait.If this doesn't do a thing for me, then I"ll have no choice but to go to the hospital tomorrow. Yes, its all from stress and anxiety,, depression as well. I also have fibromyalgia/cfs..Dear God, I hope this works. achyten09
|

User Profile
i hear ya and can totally relate i myself havent had but 3 bowel movements in past 3 months and im under huge stress and anxiety , and i myself have tried everything aswell to a poodle sized turd to none and its affecting my moods i feel like sleeping all the time and depressed to boot i dont know what to do anymore i get hungry but was scared to eat cause i dont wanna puke crap so what do you do at wits end ... good luck with the citro mag tried it too ...
|

replied January 25th, 2011
This is a solution that worked for me. Every morning for about 5 years, I simply stir 2 tablespoons flax seed into about 1/4 cup of heated water. After a while (half hour to several hours later) I swallow spoonfuls of the seeds while drinking about a glass of water. Constipation problem is solved. Expensive store bought bulkening agents did nothing for me - I hope this works for you.
|

replied January 30th, 2011
"Hi guys we have same prob before. I started this program and now no more constipation that last more than 3 days. and also try hullahopping(exercise for intestines) and if you are open to alternative try clove of garlic this helps me somehow.

Hope i was able to help.
|

replied January 30th, 2011
i suffer from this when i'm in anxiety or not eating enough or drinking enough water too!
|

replied November 13th, 2011
My anxiety is so bad at times and here is what I have recently discovered. I took 3 Ducolax pills for constipation and immediately after I went....immediately...the anxiety went away. So I have been paying close attention to when I get the anxiety and it is DEFINITELY connected to being "backed up". Many say ANXIETY causes constipation and this may be true. But in my case, CONSTIPATION CAUSES ANXIETY.

I feel surges of anxiety when I feel movement in my digestive tract. Also, if I am partially sleeping and dreaming, a thought immediately turns into a huge worry if the anxiety surge is present. For example, I dream I'm walking down the street, SURGE, I'm going to be late! I'll get hit by a car! ...Something simple turns into a big deal for me.

Now, my goal is to get my digestive tract healthy. I take iron for my low ferritin, and iron causes constipation. VISCIOUS CYCLE.
|

replied November 13th, 2011
My anxiety is so bad at times and here is what I have recently discovered. I took 3 Ducolax pills for constipation and immediately after I went....immediately...the anxiety went away. So I have been paying close attention to when I get the anxiety and it is DEFINITELY connected to being "backed up". Many say ANXIETY causes constipation and this may be true. But in my case, CONSTIPATION CAUSES ANXIETY.

I feel surges of anxiety when I feel movement in my digestive tract. Also, if I am partially sleeping and dreaming, a thought immediately turns into a huge worry if the anxiety surge is present. For example, I dream I'm walking down the street, SURGE, I'm going to be late! I'll get hit by a car! ...Something simple turns into a big deal for me.

Now, my goal is to get my digestive tract healthy. I take iron for my low ferritin, and iron causes constipation. VISCIOUS CYCLE.
|

replied November 14th, 2011
This happened to me for the first time yesterday. And it makes sense it could be from nerves. I've puked multiple times too. Just been a rough month dealing with anxiety.
|

replied November 15th, 2011
I have suffered anxiety for the past two years which lead to constipation twice, badly. One time I went to the hospital since I was so backed up. Anyway, a friend of mine suggested that I take Dr. Shulte Formula 1 every night. You WILL be back to normal. Trust me. It is the best thing on the market, IMO. You must remember to take it while you eat or right after you eat to avoid cramping the next day.
|

replied November 7th, 2012
Ever since a severe panic attack 4 months ago I have been constipated or little bits come out sometimes( once every 4 days) it feels like a lot came out and have to push really hard but only a bit comes out its not hard or nothing and im severly bloated from it . ive had a ct scan of the abdomen and x ray .. the doc said nothings wrong ive tried mirilax enemas and everything recently i ate brann cereal every morning and i could go and now its not working .. I suffer from anxiety as well but i had normal bowel movements until that severe panic attack .. any info would help. thx
|

replied January 6th, 2013
hello friends I am also suffering from anxiety since my childhood and due to this I am suffering from constipation
and I had taken hell lot of medicine having lots of test but there is nothing,I still have this problem.The root cause behind this is Anxiety which is creating all there trouble.can some one help me out.
|