Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Cant Breath Right And Concerned!!!!

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
:? I have been suffering from what I think is anxiety for a while now. But I dont have the common symptom of feeling like I cant get any air, I feel like I cant exhale right and I start to make this weird noise to try to exhale right. It sounds kinda crazy, but it is making me feel like I am nuts because I am so worried that I cant exhale and then I freak out and into an atttack. I could really use some input on if anyone ever experienced this or if you think it is anxyiety and nothing else. Please help!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 9th, 2005
This is totally what I have been getting this past week. Its a lot better now though I still have the feeling coming at times, it makes a sore feeling below my adams apple and also feels a bit like someone sitting on your chest if you lie down, a bit like having one lung...

I went to doctors today and she explained that it's hyperventilation, though that doesnt mean that you're freaking out taking massive breaths... Its when there is an imbalance of oxygen in the blood. What you need to do when it happens is put one hand on your chest and take a few deep breaths, but take them deep into your stomach, let your stomach kind of 'hang out' and relax it. Do that a few times. Avoid caffeine or alcohol for a bit.

My heart was thumping when that was happening to me so I am going for an ecg.
|

Thanks for repying, it does feel like it is tight in my throat as well and I did have chest pains with it, but they are nothing, I had an ecg too. But the breathing started to happen like all day, then it went away and now its back. It seems to take a hold and be there all day for a week or so straight and I cant get rid of it. Is yours caused by anxiety? Or is it dangerous.

Thanks for the reply
|

The doctor thinks that it could be anxiety or stress from something that hasn't surfaced yet. The other option was completel exhaustion... And I can see the point...

I work full time
i am at part time on top of that
plus i'm out clubbing at the weekend so practically no sleep at all as always out til about 3pm on the sunday.

I defo need a rest.

Been a bit of a wake up call.

The more I think of the breathing thing, the more it takes hold. I suggest you put on the tv or music or something, and sing a long or something, it will take your mind of it and you will start to breathe normally again.
|

replied July 16th, 2007
Hey I Got What U Have Too O.o
for the past three years ive had a chronic cough due to post nasal drip i cough every day of my life ^.^ and when i exhale it makes a sort of raspy noise i also have extreme anxiety...im a wreck :\
|

replied July 20th, 2007
Response to Can't Exhaler
That is typical of ashtma. Your body doesn't want to let go of too much carbon dioxide, taken in by gasping for air and so it holds on to the carbon dioxide. You will find if you breath ONLY thru your nose and take small shallow breaths, it will ease up. ANd the longer you can wait between breaths the more carbon dioxide you will be building up. it really helps. Don't take a brath and hold it -exhale gently and slowly and see how long you can go without stress before you take the next breath. Hope this helps.

quote="rastamickk"]Confused I have been suffering from what I think is anxiety for a while now. But I dont have the common symptom of feeling like I cant get any air, I feel like I cant exhale right and I start to make this weird noise to try to exhale right. It sounds kinda crazy, but it is making me feel like I am nuts because I am so worried that I cant exhale and then I freak out and into an atttack. I could really use some input on if anyone ever experienced this or if you think it is anxyiety and nothing else. Please help!!![/quote]
|

replied July 20th, 2007
Hyperventilation
After reding the next post I wanted to add this - asthma and hyperventilation go together one causes the other. My doctor said to do the same shallow breaths as for asthma but to make sure you nose breate and breeathe Into your stomach and not your chest. That will just make it worse.

Now - can stress cause difficulty in breathing?? Or lumps in the throat:: Thanks for your help.

rastamickk wrote:
Thanks for repying, it does feel like it is tight in my throat as well and I did have chest pains with it, but they are nothing, I had an ecg too. But the breathing started to happen like all day, then it went away and now its back. It seems to take a hold and be there all day for a week or so straight and I cant get rid of it. Is yours caused by anxiety? Or is it dangerous.

Thanks for the reply
|

replied July 20th, 2007
Re: Cant Breath Right And Concerned!!!!
P.S. I also meant to tell you that asthmatics wheeze when they breath OUT not in. So why don't you see an allergist. I did - they helo a lot.

quote="rastamickk"]Confused I have been suffering from what I think is anxiety for a while now. But I dont have the common symptom of feeling like I cant get any air, I feel like I cant exhale right and I start to make this weird noise to try to exhale right. It sounds kinda crazy, but it is making me feel like I am nuts because I am so worried that I cant exhale and then I freak out and into an atttack. I could really use some input on if anyone ever experienced this or if you think it is anxyiety and nothing else. Please help!!![/quote]
|

replied July 21st, 2007
Re: Hyperventilation
Hi again I'm on my husbands address. Anyway - anxiety has to do with lots of things. If you have asthma, a good allergist with be a great help. With hyperventilation, there are lots of sites out there that tell you how90% of us breathe wrong and cause these problems on a daily basis.

I have both - one triggers another. They can be awful - but with proper breathing (I saw some really good descriptionson this board; maybe you have found them by now. If you follow them you will be amazed by how much they help. It is very common - don't be upset, that just make it worse. I dont know how to use this board well enough to direct you but it might have been under breathing problems, hyperventilation or something like that. If not just google hyperventilatio and you'll get tons of info.

Take care and feel better

pjc928 wrote:
After reding the next post I wanted to add this - asthma and hyperventilation go together one causes the other. My doctor said to do the same shallow breaths as for asthma but to make sure you nose breate and breeathe Into your stomach and not your chest. That will just make it worse.

Now - can stress cause difficulty in breathing?? Or lumps in the throat:: Thanks for your help.

rastamickk wrote:

Thanks for the reply
|

replied December 6th, 2009
Panic attacks
Take an anti-anxiety pill every morning and keep some valium on hand for acute attacks.

If you're not interested in pills, and you are having an acute attack it's caused by having too much oxygen in your system so slow down your breathing or you could fit. It sounds easier said than done, but you need to remember that you already have enough oxygen and you acyually need to increase the amount of Carbon Dioxide in your system.

Good luck.
|