Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Coughing In Early Pregnancy

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hi,
this site has been a comfort to me and it's my first time actually asking a question. I am 8weeks pregnant and due for an ultrasound next week. Four days ago I developed a bad chest cold that keeps me up all night coughing. At times I feel i'll cough up a lung! Also, since I developed the cold, my nausea, which had been present the whole time previously, slowly disappeared. I'm so scared that something may have happened to the baby and that all the coughing may have had an impact. Can anyone offer any advice on loss of symptoms at this early stage and also heavy coughing? It would be much appreciated. Thanks:)
-beccak
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper beccak
|

replied December 10th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Well have you called your doctors offive and ask them? Before you wait for your appointment call and ask. I dont think there should be in harm in the coughing but you never know. Good luck and congrats.
|

replied December 12th, 2003
Thanks Nikki
Thanks nikki,
just wanted to let you know that I went to the doctor and had an ultrasound cause I was so worried. I saw the cutie moving around in there and saw the heart beat too. The doctor said everything was great and that the coughing won't hurt the baby. Unfortunately no medicine is truly safe to use so I just have to wait this one out. Thanks again for your response.
-beccak
|

replied December 12th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Ok there you go! Im glad your ok! And maybe a vaporizer can help. Or if not that, a steamer. To unclog everything. My sister used that. Or warm water with lemon and honey, it soothes the throat. Good luck!
|

replied October 9th, 2004
That is what my worry is right now is why I have been coughing for weeks. I will be 11 weeks tomorrow and I can't seem to get rid of this awful cough and sometimes I cough stuff up. Its not pretty. I read it is an early sign of a molar pregnancy, so I am a little nervous. But you take care and congrats on the baby!
|

replied October 10th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
Yeah, I have the same thing going on, but it's hard to tell with me because i'm around little kids all the time.
|

I am around kids a lot also and I am also around people at my work. I keep thinking that I could possibly have allergic rhinitis of pregnancy
(commonly called hay fever). Not real sure if that is what it may be or not, but hopefully it will get better as time goes on.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Ive only had that 3 times during my pregnancy but mines different it like only lasts maybe 5 minutes but I feel like i'm gunna die i'll just happen to cough too hard and then I am like dieing I cough like a psycho and it like hurts and i'll like almost choke till I feel like i'm going to puke.

Its not an all night thing but it didnt happen before
|

replied February 26th, 2010
Pregnancy side effects.
My wife is pregnant with 4 month now. she has this coughing issue since the beginning. we tried lots of home remedies but nothing gone work. we did x-ray, cough culture test but nothing serious comes up. she can't sleep between 12:00am to 04:0am. just try to stay up on pill on back. we tried turmeric with milk, honey with ginger and lemon, honey with almond but nothing works for her. finally i read on net that grep juice with honey will work. so we tried that too... it's helping little bit but not permanently cure. we also started SITOPALADI (Ayurvedic churna) wit honey since last 2 days..lets see how it goes. you will get this from Indian grocery store.

In India people call it as pregnancy (Head)side effect. Every women has diff. side effect. Some time it could be bleeding from teeth. Pain in teeth, white liquid from ear, hair lose, blood pressure etc.. it will go away by the time like 4 to 5th month of pregnancy. some time it keeps continue with till your delivery. once you deliver the baby it'll go away in next 1 hr to 1 day..

best of luck and congrats too all..
|

replied March 26th, 2010
today it is 31st day (menstrual cycle) .. Till yesterday i didnt feel symptoms of periods . I expected that i will be pregant. Yesterday I got fever and cough.. I have severe cough that too I am coughing beneath the stomach.. today morning , I got periods. Does cough have affected my pregancy ?
|

replied July 3rd, 2010
Cough during pregnancy
Hi Paresh, Can you please tell us some more details about how your wife cough has gone away. My wife is having exactly same situation. Its 6th week of pregnancy, she has very high cough problem. We tried Ajwain seeds, Milk with Turmeric powder, Milk with badam powder, gallnut (Karakkaya in telugu). Please let us know if you have safe home remedies for this cough
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Bhupinder HirA
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov