Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Health Insurance Forum

Have No Health Insurance.. What to Do?

My dad has recently been diagnosed with cancer. He is a ca resident and is a lawful permanent resident. Not a citizen. He does not have medical insurance. What should he do? He does not make enough money to fully support himself and is 55+. Will the state of ca pay for his medical expenses? If so, will the chaemotherapy and other treatments be covered?
Please help
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 24th, 2005
Although I am unable to give you an answer I have to tell you that I am almost 70, immigrated from canada, and now I am a permanent resident. I got no insurance. I am willing to pay a nominal monthly fee but I have been turned down by everyone because they stop insuring at age 65. Some will sell you insurance which is only supplimental to medicare. I am told I have to pay into the system 9 more years to qualify for medicare. I can also pay 450.- a month for part a and b. I am fortunate to be healthy. My income is under 30k for the 2 of us., so that is low. 450.- per month would really cut into this. I have taken out a critical illness insurance, a type of travel insurance with a 2500.- deductible just in case I have an expensive illness. This I can renew every year as long as I had no claim. This costs me 1700.- per year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
In the meantime I feel for your dad and hope the state helps him. Aloha.
|
Did you find this post helpful?