Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

Is It Possible For Me to Be Pregnant? When Can I Find Out?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I'm really not a teen, i'm in my early 20's...But I thought I would give this forum a shot since the early pregnancy signs and symptoms board isn't helping me very much...Hopefully you guys can be more informative :-)

i've been doing tons of research online, and keep finding contradicting answers to my questions...I'm very confused and frustrated and hope someone can point me in the right direction. Here's whats going on in a nutshell...

Slept with boyfriend on october 10th and didn't use protection. Got a little nervous (who doesn't after they have unprotected sex?) but got my period around the 25th or so. I had cramps as usual, but it was a little lighter than normal for me.

Had unprotected sex again on halloween. And now i'm feeling like crap. I've had extreme nausea/indigestion (especially after eating) and even a slight loss of apetite, i'm slightly crampy and feel a little bloated (thats constant), i'm very tired, have headaches, a few light headed/dizzy feelings, some back and chest pain, i'm really thirsty and have been going to the bathroom more frequently, and this past saturday (nov. 5th), I noticed a little bit of blood after I had gone. I read on here thats it's not uncommon to feel these symptoms only a few days after intercourse, and I know it could have been possible for me to have conceived, then got my period, have sex again, and just now feeling the affects....Right?

Is there any possible way for me to pregnant? Is there any possible way for me to know? Or do I have to wait until I miss my period?? I took a test last saturday (to calm my boyfriend down--i knew it would be too soon) and it was negative. I've thought about going to the doctors, but I just really need a straight up answer as to when I can really, truly take a test and know.

Please...Anything you can tell me will be very much appreciated! Thank you!

~jodie
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 8th, 2005
Experienced User
I really dont know if your pregnant or not, but I started having symptoms like 1 week before I missed period which included sore breast, headaches, fatigue, constipation, and major loss of appetite. So when I missed my period I kind of already knew I was pregnant. Im 19 weeks now. Maybe you should wait a few days then take another test.
|

My period might not be here for another 2 weeks or so....Does that make a difference?? I'm just beyond confused...
|

Experienced User
Well it might be too soon to tell if you are pregnant if you test now so you should wait maybe another 1 1/2 weeks.
|

Okay
Yeah...I've been getting over-anxious and already tested twice....I know its too early to tell, but its just killing me not knowing, and my boyfriend's having a nervous breakdown (we're not ready) the wait just sucks...

I mean, from your point of view, and hearing my "story," does it sound possible?? Did you feel all these symptoms this early??
|

Experienced User
I did feel all my symptoms early but there were also times before when I had the same symptoms and I turned out not to be pregnant. Sometimes pregnancy symptoms and period symptoms can be alot alike. Worrying too much can cause your period to be late so relax and just take it day by day untlil your period is due I know its hard and all you can do is think about it cuz i've been in your same situation when I wasnt sure if I was and wanted to find out so bad. Theres not really much you can do but wait another week or so. Do you want to be pregnant?
|

Just Chill!!!!
It sounds like you want to be pregnant and that's good but my situration it almost like your me and my bf had sex for the first time and we did it unprotected on october 11th my period was supposed to come on on the 25th but it missed so I waited untill the 29th to test and it was positive!! I always wanted a baby I never knew it would happen so fast but now I have experienced nothing but trouble Dr. Say I might misscarry b/c they see a sac and no baby so just hold on it sounds like you wanna be pregnant and I know you do so just chill I was anxious like that and I always got neg. And then the one time I really miss my period unexpectedly I was pregnant im anxious and when your anxious things cant happen so fast so go take a blood test pregnancy they have to do one anyway to find out how far along your are im 6wks now.
|

Who Knows...
Yeah but I never get period symptoms until the week i'm going to start...I get slightly stressed, I break out, my chest hurts (bad!), and I don't get the actual cramps until the day it starts. This is something different...Part of me would like think i'm just sick and now i'm overreacting and making myself think i'm pregnant...I know I just need to calm down and take it day by day, but it's just so damn hard...I really just want to know one way or another...I'm usually a very patient person...But not with this...

And to be honest, no, I don't want to be pregnant. I'm not ready, he's not ready....We don't live together, our familiies are not close by (mine is in ny, his is in ar, and we're in tn), we both have good jobs, but I honestly don't think we have enough money to support a child, and I don't even have health insurance (i work for a small, independently owned business that does not offer it) his family would freak out...Mine however would probably be more accepting...I just don't know...Abortion is not an option for me, and I would regret adoption, so yes, if I am pregnant, I will keep my baby....But god...Things are going to be completely different....
|

Bump
Just bumping this up...
|

A urine pregnancy test is accurate 21 days (3 weeks) after sex occured.
A blood test is accuate 7-10 days after sex occured.

If you think you might be pregnant, take a test.
|

replied November 10th, 2005
So I could go and take a blood test today and get an accurate result??

Where's the best place to go and get a blood test done?? Will a walk-in clinic do it??
|

replied November 11th, 2005
Experienced User
Are your periods usually regular - as in every 28 days or so? If they are then your ovulation time would have been around nov 8. But if his sperm were hanging around in there for a couple days, & if you just happened to ovulate a little early, then there is a chance you could be. When is your next period due to start?

Keep us posted on any changes! Hollie
|

replied November 11th, 2005
Well, decided to go to the walk-in clinic today....And i'm not pregnant--thank god! Now is just not the right time for me...But some day in the near future. However, the clinic did a urine test, blood test, and a pelvic and the Dr. Was concerned about my ovaries and my appendix, due to all the pain i've been having in my abdomen/pelvis. She referred me to the er and there they did a ct scan and found that what was causing all the discomfort was a 3 cm varian cyst on my left ovary, and "follicles" on the right. I know they are common, but I have never had them before...They prescribed me with rest and some high dose pain medicine and told me if the pain worsens to come back in and they'll do another scan. Its good to finally know whats going on...But i'm still nervous about how things will progress and if it will hinder my chances of becoming pregnant when I actually want to.

Just going to take care of myself...And we're going to be careful from now on until we know we're ready for a family!

Thanks for all your help guys...Its much appreciated :-)

~jodie

b
|