Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Should I Take Plan B? (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Hi everyone,
my boyfriend and I had a sort of intercourse last night, but he didn't finish inside me, but near me, we weren't using a condom. I'm on birth control pills, and I don't think that I need to take plan b, but my boyfriend wants me to. If I can avoid putting those excess hormones in my body, i'd like to. Do you guys think that I should just take it? The sooner you answer, the better. Thanks!

P.S. I'm also going to be starting my period tomorrow or the day after.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper megan099
|

replied November 8th, 2005
Experienced User
If I go on the law of averages it is as follows:

your period is due in 2 days.. There for you ovulated 10 days ago. That egg is long gone.

For some people it is possible but if yo knwo your body at all then you will be able to tell when you are ovulating. Your discharge down there will change, it will be really slimy and extra slippery.

If you really wanted to put plan b in to action tis your choice, your expense.. And alot of extra hormones.

Chances are like.. More than 90% that in 2 days your peroid will come.. Maybe 3-4.. But only because you are stressing. Tell him to wait it out, you are too close to your peroid for anythign to to have happened...

Oh nd also tell him to use a condom!
|

replied February 27th, 2013
My situation is similar but different. I take the pill regularly and last Saturday I got sick about an hour after taking the pill. Since I threw it up, I didn't have any back up pills and just continued on taking my pills at the scheduled time. However, yesterday I had unprotected sex, which was Tuesday, and he ejaculated inside me. Do you reccomend I take Plan B, and if so is it okay to take simultaneously with the pill?
|

replied October 5th, 2008
on birth control but late period... took Plan B
I'm in a similar situation. I'm taking birth control pills and didn't miss any this month, and had sex without a condom more than once during the week and he withdrew, but didn't have sex any other times during the month. when my period was late this morning by a day or so i decided to get Plan B as an extra precaution. what should i look for to give me the heads up that the combination of birth control was effective? it seems from the stats that a chance of pregnancy in this situation is very low, but i'm still really scared.
any advice on the next step, what to look for, etc?
please help
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Wait, when did you have sex and when did you take plan b?

If you've been taking your pills correctly, then your chances of pregnancy are pretty slim. You need to stick to a back up method since you don't seem comfortable with just pills. It takes a lot of getting used to, and instead of worrying constantly, you just find something else to pair it with. Sex is a lot better when you aren't constantly worrying yes?

The next step, since your period is late, would be a home pregnancy test. Plan B is a high dose of hormones and may mess with your cycle for awhile, but because you are late, then you need to test anyways.
|

yesterday, but he didn't come inside me, i didn't miss any pills, and i took the Plan B at 2 pm today and just took the second pill. i took my last placebo pill tonight, usually i would've started my period today or the day before

how long do i need to wait before it will be accurate?
in what ways will it mess with it? because if my period doesn't come in the next couple of days i'm going to be freaking out, but i need to know if this could likely be because of plan b
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Well, the sex you had last night would probably not have gotten you pregnant. You're protected during your placebo week as long as you've been taking your pills correctly-- which you say you have.

Plan B can mess with your period in a number of ways. It can cause a delayed period, in which case you should take a home pregnancy test just in case. It can also cause your period to be heavy or light (or it could have no effect).

You need to relax. You've been taking your pills correctly so the chances of pregnancy are slim. Just give your period a little time. How long have you been on the pill?
|

Extremely eHealthy
just to correct a previous post..if shes on birth control then she shouldn't be ovulating..thats what b.c. does is prevent ovulation so that there is no egg to be fertilized...

if you're on b.c. there is no need for plan B...

youre chances of pregnancy if you've been taking your pills on time everday are very slim but as maddie said, go get a hpt just to ease your mind...
|

that's what i'm hoping...

so if i don't get my period soon, how long before a home pregnancy test will be accurate?

it's so hard to relax...
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
worrywart01 wrote:
just to correct a previous post..if shes on birth control then she shouldn't be ovulating..thats what b.c. does is prevent ovulation so that there is no egg to be fertilized...

if you're on b.c. there is no need for plan B...

youre chances of pregnancy if you've been taking your pills on time everday are very slim but as maddie said, go get a hpt just to ease your mind...

Thanks worrywart. I couldn't think of a better way to explain it so I just said cycle, but now I realize that was a little misleading.

But whether you are on birth control or not, plan b can mess with when your bleeding normally occurs and how heavy or light it is. The added hormones will cause near the same effects regardless or ovulation or not-- since you really only have bleeding because of the the hormones are not in the placebo pills, any extra hormones will cause a change.

Wellthen, I highly doubt your pregnant. But you can test two weeks after you had sex.
|

how many days after starting my next pack should I be worried? Is there a chance the plan b could keep me from getting my period altogether? Because I didn't get my period for the first two placebo days and took plan b right around the time of the last two. Could this keep a steady level of hormones continued with starting the next pack that the period would never happen?

So if my bc didn't fail there wouldn't be an egg available in the first place?

Thanks for your quick responses I really appreciate it
|

replied October 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
i'm not sure I understand the first question haha...you should start your pack ON TIME though..and go get that test so you dont have to worry anymore..i dont know much about the side effects of plan B but as maddie said earlier there can be numerous effects such as a heavier/lighter or delayed period..as for missing it altogether...not sure...have you had any spotting? I know for me, I dont even start my period until the very last day of placebos...so maybe taking it on day 2 of your placebos has delayed it a bit or messed it up completely...you are correct..if your birth control did its job then you shouldn't have ovulated to begin so the plan B isn't necessary! good luck and go get that test so you can stop stressing out
|

so getting the test now would be effective? i don't want to get a test now and think i'm in the clear when i'm really not, and will have to go get another one, but i also want to know asap of course.

i have four placebo pills at the end of each pack. i didn't get my period during the first two, which isn't that unlikely for me, but on the day that i took the third i also took the first plan b pill, and the fourth the second plan b pill approximately. i was wondering if this didn't give my body enough time off the hormones to have a period at all, or if that doesn't make sense.

my big question is when for the pregnancy test. when will it be accurate and what kind should i take?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Two weeks after sex. You can take any test you want, just make sure its a home pregnancy test and not something else. Wink

Honestly, I'm not sure how Plan B will affect your period when you're on your placebo week of birth control pills that you've been taking correctly. You should have been protected, but I'm not really sure how the extra hormones are going to change things.

I highly doubt you're pregnant.
|

thanks. That's a while to wait but I want to know the test is completely accurate

Please keep telling me that if you think it's true... This is the most awful feeling
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
It's one of the worst learning experiences ever, but I can tell you that this fear usually wears off with a little better education and understanding for birth control-- not to mention you'll be able to make better choices for yourself.

Try googling information on Birth Control. Here is a decent site, and there's even a link at the bottom to learn about Emergency Contraceptives.

You should also have another chat with your gyno or doctor so you can ask any other questions or just have them give you the whole talk about birth control.

Seriously, educating yourself is a good way (uh... aside from not having sex Wink ) to stay out of stressful situations like these.
|

if I can get through this it's never going to happen again, I know that for sure. I just need to get through this one

Thanks so much. Looks I'll just be waiting for my period or to take the test now.
|

replied October 8th, 2008
i'm having a break down here, i'm not sure if i can wait any longer. if i take a hpt now, will it be effective?
|

i'm having a break down here, i'm not sure if i can wait any longer. if i take a hpt now, will it be effective?
|

please help
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
No, it's only been like 4-5 days since you had sex right?

Two weeks. Thats when your tests should be accurate.
|