Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

On Depo For 10+ Years

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Is there anyone here that's been on depo for 10 years or over? I was put on it in 1994 because of trouble with periods and endometriosis. Shortly after starting the shot, it was pure heaven. No period problems because the periods stopped and no more problems with the endometriosis. I was bleeding too much each month, no lie, i'd go through close to 3 containers of pads in a week. I also kept getting ovarian cysts really bad, sometimes so big they had to surgically remove them. Since being on the shot, my health has went downhill. I've been diagnosed with a zillion health conditions such as: multiple sclerosis, 2 rare auto-immune blood diseases, an auto-immune thyroid disease that completely destroyed my thyroid gland, several eye problems, tia's, had 3 cva's, lumbar lordosis, most recently- osteopenia, and a few other things. I stopped the shot this year, my last one was in february. I've been slowly on the road to recovery and pretty sure i've got all the unnecessary medication/poisons out of my system and want to be starting to work with a nutritionist and personal trainer to begin a fitness regimen. Within a year or so from now, my husband and I would love to be able to start having children. I was wondering if anyone knows if the longer you're on depo, the worse your chances would be to have a healthy/normal pregnancy-delivery-baby? I have yet to have my period after taking the shot but the past couple days i've been cramping and hurting a great deal down there. As far as my doctor is concerned, I think she got her medical license from kmart. I am stuck with her because my husbands job health insurance will not cover me for at least a year because of pre-existing health problems and she is the only doctor around that will take payments. Is there anyone here with similar circumstances or words of advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 10th, 2005
Ive been on the depo for 3 to 4 years and my doctor recently told me that they have found that the shot makes your bone marrow thin and your bones very brittle. She recommended that I take tums for iron and protein. She said it can lead to bone diseases and things that you had mentioned. I think it was very smart of you to get off of the birth control and it is suppose to take at least 13 months to have a normal period again. Im 15 years old and I also got on the shot because of my menstral cycle but I cant get off of it because I have recently become sexually active and my parents want me on it. It worrys me because im afraid I could get pregnant and I dont have my period to tell or not! Has that ever happened to you? I hope that has helped and if you have any advice for me I would be greatful. :)
|

replied November 10th, 2005
kc1113 wrote:
ive been on the depo for 3 to 4 years and my doctor recently told me that they have found that the shot makes your bone marrow thin and your bones very brittle. She recommended that I take tums for iron and protein. She said it can lead to bone diseases and things that you had mentioned. I think it was very smart of you to get off of the birth control and it is suppose to take at least 13 months to have a normal period again. Im 15 years old and I also got on the shot because of my menstral cycle but I cant get off of it because I have recently become sexually active and my parents want me on it. It worrys me because im afraid I could get pregnant and I dont have my period to tell or not! Has that ever happened to you? I hope that has helped and if you have any advice for me I would be greatful. :)

well, I started my period finally and it was pure hell, worse than ever. The pain was so bad that my doctor gave me a few tylenol #3 and they did not help and then some darvocet and that didn't even take the edge off the pain. She then gave me tegretol and it helped me about 65%. I did not bleed much, not like I was used to when I used to have my period about 10 years ago. I also did not bleed as much as I expected, I expected a dam to burst after all these years. To my surprise, it started around the same time of this month as it used to. Today is my first 'period free' day and it's great to have that over with till next month. Don't get me wrong, this chickie isn't looking forward to next months unwelcome visitor. Lol. My doctor told me that depo depletes your body of calcium, potassium, and magnesium. She did not tell me anything else, especially about the bone marrow stuff. I had a bone scan a couple months ago and she said she's not letting me get back on the depo and that I need to start taking a pill called fosamax and increase my calcium, potassium, and magnesium intake because of the results of my bone scan which showed I had the beginning of osteoporosis which is called osteopenia. Supposedly osteopenia is reversible, compared to non-reversible osteoarthritis. Thank goodnes this was caught in time.

As for you, you really should get off the depo. It's a poison. Get on another form of birth control. There's patches and other things other than the pill, like the i.U.D. And other things. I had and still have no choice that i'm aware of in regards to hormone type birth control things. I was told that the shot was the only form of birth control that could help me because I have the 2 blood diseases that cause clots. I wished I could find something I could take but for now we're stuck with the little 'sleeves' for birth control.

If you're that worried about getting pregnant but not knowing because of not having a period while on depo, go to the health clinic/free clinic and you should be able to get a free pregnancy test each month that you're worried. If it would help, you may want to keep track of when you do have intercourse to give you an idea on how to figure things out that way.

Believe it or not, your mother is your best bet for advice, comfort, patience, understanding, and unconditional love when it comes to these things, rather than a message board. So what if she doesn't have answers for all your questions, this will then be not just a learning and understanding experience for you, but for both of you. Your mother can turn into being your best partner on the journeys you'll constantly encounter as you make your way through the wonderful and crazy world of being a woman.

I hope i've helped you at least a teeny bit.

You take care :o)
|

replied November 11th, 2005
Thanks so much and yes my mother knows about it now. I mentioned it to her but she says that im over reacting and im just stressing out over it. I dont know. But the depo thing is a good idea, im going to talk to my gyno next week and ask about other resorts of bc. Thanks again!!!!
|

replied November 11th, 2005
kc1113 wrote:
thanks so much and yes my mother knows about it now. I mentioned it to her but she says that im over reacting and im just stressing out over it. I dont know. But the depo thing is a good idea, im going to talk to my gyno next week and ask about other resorts of bc. Thanks again!!!!

you're very welcome. I wish you bunches of luck with whatever b.C. Method you choose. So now, don't you think it's about time to focus on getting the stress out of your system? :mrgreen:

take care and always ask questions and take notes. Keeping a daily journal to log your feelings both mentally and physically will help you be able to keep in tune with your body and help healthcare professionals keep you healthy and happy too.
|

replied January 4th, 2006
\i was on depo for 9 and a half years,i decided to give my body a break for a while and the fact whilst being on it is a contraception in itself it stops you wanting any sex at all!!!! Im worried about brittle bones ive mentioned this to my gp and rhemy they dont see it a a cause for concern! I now have fibromyalgia my periods are nearly back to normal they just kinds turn up in and when but the sex life is well back on track and more adventurous :twisted:

jan
|

replied January 4th, 2006
mancunianangel wrote:
\i was on depo for 9 and a half years,i decided to give my body a break for a while and the fact whilst being on it is a contraception in itself it stops you wanting any sex at all!!!! Im worried about brittle bones ive mentioned this to my gp and rhemy they dont see it a a cause for concern! I now have fibromyalgia my periods are nearly back to normal they just kinds turn up in and when but the sex life is well back on track and more adventurous :twisted:

jan

my periods started and I had 3 so far and they come whenever they want and go whenever they want. Sometimes the blood flow is a lot and sometimes less than an average woman's average period flow is. I haven't seen much clots as I was used to, just streaks of thicker/darker blood. The pain is worse than I remember too. The sex drive hasn't returned yet but I think now I have a cyst on my left ovary because it hurts really bad in that area when I sit or bend. You really need to get a bone scan done. My ob sent me for one and the results were positive that i've lost bone mass since being on depo and she took me off depo for that reason only and prescribed fosamax to help rebuild my minerals in my bones along with having me take calcium supplements. Might be time for you to change ob's because this is very serious.
|

replied January 5th, 2006
Thanks for your reply bambina I will request a bone scan as my grandad had osteoperosis and that im sure is hereditry they only recommend you stay on depo for max 5 years so why were we left 10? It was great being on it though ,except the binge eating the week after the shot! Not sure if it is part of my joints problems. But 9 1/2 years of no periods whay hay but no sex life at all the urge didnt hit me at all :d thankfully that does return :d :d :d been off now since feb 05.

Will request bone scan

jan x
|

replied December 15th, 2006
Is Blood Clots Normal During Your Period?
I hard a hard period this month for the first two days I went through a super absorbent tampon and hour as well as having blood clots the size of a fifty cent piece. The rest of the week it was normal. Should I worry?
|

User Profile
replied December 27th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
kc1113 wrote:
im 15 years old and I also got on the shot because of my menstral cycle but I cant get off of it because I have recently become sexually active and my parents want me on it. Smile

omg how comes a parent lets her 15 year old girl to go have sex with boys that young? This is what keeps the abortion rates up in this country. Boy there is bad parents out there.
|

replied May 20th, 2009
ovarian cyst on left ovary
I was on the depo shot for 12 years and I got off of it and in November 2008 I had the implanon implanted in my left arm. i had the implanon removed April 29 and but since the end of February I thought that I was pregnant cause I had all the symptoms. i then found out that my fiance had a vesectomy years ago. Anyway last Friday I found out that I have a cyst on my left ovary and then i bled very lightly for a day and a half. I still really havent had a period yet. any advice would be appreciated. I think that I have had this cyst for at least 2 mo. I am nauseous all the time and throwing up occasionally and have severe abdominal pain. Any advice?
|

replied June 12th, 2009
hi i have been on the depo for 10 years and i dont think i will go back for my next short,i want to start and try for a baby.i already have a son of 10, and im with a new partner and i would love a baby.Do you know how long it would take me to concive and to get rid of this depo out of my system.many thanks corine
|

replied July 13th, 2013
I WAS ON DEPO FOR OVER 10 YEARS, IT WORKED GREAT FOR ME, UNTIL I WAS TOLD BY MY NEW DOCTOR THAT I HAD THINNING IN MY BONES. SHE SAI IT WAS LIKE OSTEOPOROSIS BUT NOT....SHE NEVER WOULD GIVE ME A STRAIGHT ANSWER OR A DIAGNOSIS SO I JUST STARTED TAKING A GOOD CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT AND THOUGHT I WOULD BE FINE. IN THE 7 YEARS SINCE I STOPPED TAKING THE DEPO I AM 34 NOW. I HAVE BROKEN A HALF DOZEN BONES AND CANNOT CONCEIVE.
|

replied October 6th, 2013
Depo shot
I was on depo for 10 years and have been off of it for 5 years. I haven't had any problem My doctor made me get off of it i didn't ask to be taken off. I loved it would go on in a heartbeat I have not had any health problem However I did know that it gives you osteoporosis so I took us out calcium supplement every day while I was on Depo. I think if you are going to start a birth-control regimen like that you need to know the side effects first in the long-term effects first before you start taking so you can supplement other thing. I think that is the reason why I never had any health problems My doctor told me to get off of it because she was worried and she doesn't like death so I got off of it and one on the pill However there is one thing I am worried about infertility. I don't have a husband or a steady boyfriend but if I was in a relationship I would like to have my infertility check To see if I fertile
|