Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Second Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

a Negative Blood Type

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hey all, my results are back from my blood tests and my doctor discovered i've got a negative blood (rh factor I believe it's called)
this is my first child and I am 5 1/2 months pregnant. She said once I reach 28 weeks i'll need a shot. Has anyone every experienced this before, or heard of it...Or know anything about it? I've never heard of it before, I don't want to worry, because I know i'm not the first person to have this and it doesn't seem that bad. The doctor said they give you a shot just to be sure nothing happens. I'm just looking for any kind of info!!
Thank you!
-hopefulmjz
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 3rd, 2005
Experienced User
Rh negative blood means that without an injection at 28 weeks, there could be problems between your blood and your baby's blood. Because your doctor has already found out that you have rh negative, you will be given the injection required at 28 weeks, and this will ensure that everything goes smoothly.

You will get a second injection within 72 hours of your baby being born, if your baby has rh positive. This ensures that should you have a second baby, you are able to ensure that your second baby will be okay as well.

The medical profession are pro's at this sort of thing, so I wouldn't worry about this. Remember, if you worry, you send messages to your baby that you are worried. Try and relax and just stay happy.

Good luck.
Xx
|

replied November 7th, 2005
Experienced User
I have a the whole rh factor as well (negative blood type). My Dr. Said I would be fine as long as I get the shot. Dont worry, the medical professionals have been doing this for years, they will stir you in the right direction about you and your body.
|

replied July 1st, 2006
Hi
You will get a shot of something called rogam or something at 28 weeks thats what they told me. I have o- blood.It's to keep the baby from fighting off your blood or something.
|

replied February 14th, 2010
i think its called anti d its just a normal shot which prtoects the baby i had it with my first and will need it this time round but its nothing to worry about and there is only 2 injections throughout the whole of the pregnancy.its not that uncommon at all you will be fine Smile
|

replied January 14th, 2011
i have the same thing im 26 weeks pregnant and in 2 weeks from now im getting that shot i really dont know were the shots go and are they harmful. But i see that im not he only one with negaive blood so im not that worried
|