Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Breaking Out In Hives--anxiety

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Hi! I've been living with pretty major anxiety for a long time. I constantly break out into hives all over my chest and start shaking for no apparent reason when I get even the slightest bit anxious...Etc. It is really embarassing and people often ask whats wrong with me which makes things even worse b/c then all the focus is on me and my embarassing problem. Any suggestions on what I can do? Has anyone else experienced this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper nluchett
|

replied May 15th, 2006
Emberassing Ha!
Well I too brake out in hives. When I start to feel nervous, my cheecks start getting theses red patches, and my chest also starts getting patch. My doctor saw me and told me he had never seen anything like that which made me start to worry more because I thought it was only me and something might be wrong. But then I was teaching my sister how to drive and I noticed her skin like that too. Yup, she was nervous. I just dont pay attention to it. It happens to the best of us. ;-)
|

replied January 21st, 2009
i get hives if i am warm in the sun or embaressed, nervous or stressed. People at work are noticing... i lie sometimes and say it is caffeine or im allergic to my necklace... almost everyday i talk with my boss my chest and neck hive up like crazy.... in social situations my face gets really warm and my heart races. i dont know what to do about this horrible problem
|

replied January 8th, 2010
Every day i breakout into hives on my head,kneck, shoulders, back, chest and arms... After showers, when I quickly jump up to do something... when I have the slightest bit of a heat increase of my body temperature... It goes into goose bump mode and red patchs all over me like someone slapped me all over... It's really painful, so much so I have to take 2 benadryl, steroid shot and sometimes other stuff depending on the severity of the pain... My body becomes limp to a extent that all the nerves twitch and and i begin to get mad that the pain keeps getting worse everytime I have this problem....

I tried going a month of no medications like the doctors told me, didn't work, i even tried the benadryl, steroid shots and eczema lotion/shampoo/conditioners while showering/after showering and also take room temperature showers then cold showers before stepping out...

only thing that seems to help me is 2 benadryl, 1 steroid shot, eczema lotion and step outside in freezing cold air with shirt off...

I can't even work out anymore, and to think I use to be in the military training every day without these problems... I developed them 6 months ago, all these symptoms..

Think I should go to an allergist to see what they say.

By the way, my heart doesn't race, i don't feel stressed or nervous in anyway when this happens, other than the part where my skin tries to break out into a sweat but half-way does... does this happen... its as if im with dry skin after showers and when not showering its like my body is spazzing out Sad

Anyone know what I should do, let me know.
|

replied July 24th, 2011
make sure if you have sensitive skin and break out or get dry patches like eczema, that you do not take hot showers they dry out your skin. cut back on alcohol or caffine which also dehydrate your skin and drink lots of water. look into using all natural essential oils for break outs and eczema.Flaxseed oil taken internally or applied externally often eases symptoms of eczema.Burdock Root - Helps to purify blood and restore the liver to aid in a restful sleep. Helps to reduce build up of toxins in the skin resulting in boils and other skin disorders. Helps gallbladder functions and stimulates the immune system.

Chamomile - Chamomile's medicinal properties range from skin inflammations to lightening hair to treating digestive problems. As a mild sedative, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial, it improves digestion by relaxing the muscles throughout the gastrointestinal system and it can induce an overall sense of calm and well-being.
if you ever become inflamed always use a cold compress to ease inflamation never heat. i would absolutly go back to your doctor and ask him to test you for alergies. food and air. eczema is usually cause from some form of alergy, which goes along with the breakouts. i would start slowly cutting out the dairy in your diet, most americans are sensitive to it. hope that was helpful.
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
I also have this problem, it has happened for years and I thought I was the only one that this happens to. It is really hindering the things I do because it happens when I get embarrassed, hot, nervous, even excited. I have noticed lately that I will not even be doing anything and will break out in hives. I dont know what to do, has anyone tried any medicines that work??? HELP!!!
|

replied September 12th, 2011
Medication for Hives
I've had hives for about 6 months now! i break out all over my arms, neck, chest, back etc...I'm CONSTANTLY stressed tho, but now even when I'm relaxed I break out...I've been to a doctor but not an allergist and he prescribed HYDROXYZINE...the hives and the itch go away for about 3 days and then come back but once i take those, im good...hope that helps!
|

replied March 15th, 2010
this has also been a problem of mine for about 4 years. Two years ago it was the most severe for me. I was a junior in high school and every single day i would break out into hives. Terrible hives all over my body. It felt like i was being stung by a hundred bees. I was too self-conscious to tell my rents about it so I did everything i could to not be noticed by people at school(even hid in the bathroom during lunches.....). It was the most depressing year of my life. I would break out when i excersised or simply just started thinking about breaking out. Anyways around came summer time and I started using alot of lotion like aveeno. I would put it all over my chest and face. I started noticing that when i started to think about hives or felt them comming on i would just sweat it out instead of breaking out. I am now a freshman in college and i was about a year and ahalf clean from hives. Around the end of my first semester i began breaking out here and there. I thought i was back to where i was two years ago. Well I finally told my rents about it and i went to the doctors and they just told me to take zyratec. So now what I do is take zyratec everyday and i continue to put lotion all over my chest every morning. Another thing I think contributed to my hives going away for a while is like or not smoking marijuana. I began smoking marijuana end of my junior year around the time when my hives subsided. Alot of people might say that marijuana just allowed me to be stress free so thats why my hives went away but i disagree. My hives were usually never stress related. It would happen at the most bizzare times. Like in church? Why would i be stressful in church. I may have eventually created a stress upon myself because i was always so worried about breaking out that I constantly thought about it, but I believe that marijuana prevented my hives. Even now i can see it. I smoked over spring break almost every day and I didnt break out once. Now im not even saying that i didnt break out when i was only high, but even when it wore off by the end of the day it kept me from breaking out. Since ive returned to school i havent smoked once, and i have began to break out here and there. So all in all, i would suggest you try zryatec(its over the counter allergy medicine now), and lots of lotion to keep your skin moist and not dry. And if you are not against marijuana i would suggest trying it, it does have medical abilities, some known, some not known....
|

replied November 16th, 2011
LOL i've smoked weed EVERYDAY for YEARS, and i break out randomly probably once a week. marijuana didn't help your hives, clearly was a placebo affect.
|

replied August 17th, 2011
severe anxiety.. hives on my palms.. wth?
i've always had the uncontrolable shakes with anxiety attacks and i break out in cold sweats.. my hands get clammy i've been fashionably nicknamed treefrog by my close friends..lol .. lately i've been getting the anxiety attacks and my palms are getting hives on them.. this has only been going on for about a month after an extremely traumatic situation.. and these anxiety attacks make me not want to eat which doesn't help the situation.. when i come out of these attacks.. sometimes they last a few minutes sometimes a few days.. the older i get the worse the attacks get.. i don't want to use marijuana or valium..i just want to get my body under control.. i can't control the shaking and the teeth chattering or the cold sweats.. idk what the heck to do about the hives.. i didn't realize thats what was causing the hives until i noticed that my hands start itching really severely while i'm having an attack.. i thought it was an allergy but i haven't been exposed to anything abnormal or new in my diet or products that i use.. does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve self-medicating?
|

replied January 25th, 2012
Hives
I have been breaking out since I was 13. I'm 43 now. I break out in hives and my fingers swell. It is merely stress. It only lasts a few hours. I take anxiety meds as needed when I feel too overwhelmed.
|