Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

3 Month Old With a Cold

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
Hey everyone!! My three month old baby boy seems to be getting a cold. Runny nose, coughing, ect. I was just wondering if it was neccessary to take him to the doctor?? Will it pass on it's own with some infant tylenol or should I go ahead and take him??

Thanks,
teresa
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper allnaturallyhealthy
|

replied November 2nd, 2005
Experienced User
You prob. Need to go ahead and take the baby to a doc. Its better to be safe then to be sorry in the long run...
|

replied November 2nd, 2005
Experienced User
Yeah...Your right. Thanks for the reply!!

Teresa
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Well my doctor wouldn't give my son any medication for his colds....He said its to risky to give a baby meds...He told me to give him saline drops in the nose when needed ...And at night rub vapor rub on the bottoms of his feet....It worked...But with those new vapor plug ins...I always have one plugged in at night beside the bed....And it keeps his stuffy nose gone ...And he breathes way better now....
|

replied January 5th, 2006
My baby is only 2 months old and my doc gave her saline drops and an antihistamine now I am a bit worried should I have gave it to her if your doc wouldn't give meds to your child?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
...Well I don't think you should worry with it...I guess all doctors are different...But I wouldn't give it to her every time she gets a cold ...B/c the way my doctor explained it to me ..Was saying that their bodies are so small that if you give them medicine everytime they are sick ...Their body wont learn to fight infection on its own...I don't think it would hurt...Just watch the amounts and dont give it all the time...
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Down here a child under 3 months with a temp over 37.5 is considered to have a fever and your supposed to bring them in now after the 3 months you give them 2-3 days unless it over 103 (can cause seizures) that is why they recommend this. There is not much you can do for a cold or flu because its viral but you can help with symptoms here are other things you can try
~gerber/johnson &johnson vapor bath
~tylenol for fever
~saline drops
~something to clean out babys nose
~humidifier (or fan/window open_)

after 3 months (unless recommended by dr/pharmacist)
~dimetapp cold & fever
!~vicks

there is other stuff im just really brain dead (forgetting everything lol_) so ill update later! This info is from hubby(rn) or from local childrens hospital.

Take care
jess
|

replied August 31st, 2009
I Have a 3 month old son and 2 year old daughter i used both of these methods on both my children I use rawleighs vapour spray you only use 3 sprays of it in the room close the doors up and stays in the room for atlest 2-4 hours rub Rawleighs medicated ointment on babies feet its just vicks and if there got congestion lie baby on there tummy prefably on a pillow and rub there back down with oil this should make baby cough plem up or if you don't have the nose pump that you get with saline, start at the top of there nose and rub down gently you can do it for as long as you like this will help baby get rid of any mucus in there nose
I hope this helps I am a 22 year old mum that likes to do the old fashion way
|
Users who thank hui for this post: destiny19 

replied November 24th, 2009
where can i get this rawleighs spray at?
|

replied July 21st, 2010
when my baby was just 2 weeks old he got a cold and now hes almost 3 months and when in those 2 weeks when we seen his doctor he said there no shame on them getting colds and it cant be stopped either he told me salt water drops in the nose and some water cause water helps keep the baby full of fluids and stops the vial as well
|

replied October 27th, 2010
My son is 3 months old, and his temperature is 37.5. is that considered a high temperature?.. he is a screamer when he cries, and now that he is sick, he cant scream. what should i do?.. ive been rubbing vix on his feet, and i have a vapourizer and i gave him tylenol last night... i'm scared, because one of you mentioned that babies can get seizures. why does that happen?... i think ill take him to the doc..
|

replied October 27th, 2010
MY 3 month old son is sick.
My son is 3 months old, and his temperature is 37.5. is that considered a high temperature?.. he is a screamer when he cries, and now that he is sick, he cant scream. what should i do?.. ive been rubbing vix on his feet, and i have a vapourizer and i gave him tylenol last night... i'm scared, because one of you mentioned that babies can get seizures. why does that happen?... i think ill take him to the doc..
|

replied March 11th, 2011
My 3 month old baby boy
My baby is 3 moths old and is really stuffy and very hard for him to breath can I give him Tylenol cold and flu and what would happen if I do????
|

replied October 5th, 2011
What to give my three month old baby that have a cold?
I have a three month old grand baby, when he came to stay with me he was coming down with a cold, not quite as bad at first, then a couple of days later it got worst this time with a running fever.
I know that babies are not suppose to take anything that young and my heart goes out to a sick baby. So here is a few remedies I did that works wonders. My family and I don't like taking medication unless it's necessary, so pretty much we do natural. At Gnc they sell natural herbs, I bought peppermint oil took the end of the q-tip and wet the tip and put it on his chest and that open him up for up to 12 hours. I also used the vicks on his feet, but didn't really need it. and I also took Hydrogen P. and clean his ear with it. Hope this help. My grand baby with the peppermint oil don't need to take anything, oh for the fever, I took his pacifier dip the top of the pacifier with Motrin children medicine, and this did the job. very little Motrin on his pacifier
|

replied March 18th, 2012
Baby colds
My 3 month old son just came down with a nasty congestion cold yesterday. I took him to the doctor right away and she said that he has the common cold but, to watch him very carefully because he is so young and it could easily turn to RSV. I have been giving him Saline drops and sucking his nose with a bulb syringe and am now running a vicks vaporizer for him. It has helped a little just from the little time it has been running. I am very scared when it comes to babies being sick and try to do everything I can to help them.
|