Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Bacterial Disorders Forum

Candida Albicans (yeast Infection)...22yr Old Male (Page 1)

Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
Hi ive posted before about symptoms ive been having. Im a 22 year old male with a long list of symptoms. Ive been to multiple doctors and undergone multiple tests that all came back negative. I decided to switch routes and went to see a naturopathic physician who diagnosed me with a yeast infection. Im taking similase, mycostate, gi capsuls, and vital plex. Ive also been on a diet for 3 weeks not eating sugars, breads, or drinking alchohol. Im posting to find out more information like...Has anyone else had this type of problem? How long can I expect for the yeast to go away?
Thanks,
dave
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 16th, 2006
Dave,

i'm sorry you're feeling awful and no doctor can explain why. Naturopathic "physicians" are usually quacks, certainly if they talk about yeast infections. Telling people they have a "yeast infection" is their bread and butter, interesting that every healthy person has the same "symptoms". Unless someone has hiv/aids they don't get systemic problems with yeast. Even if you took potent oral antifungal pills, you would never be yeast-free. No one is.

Mycostat? An antifungal additive for animal feed?
Http://www.Agil.Com/safety_mycostat.Htm

http://www.Quackwatch.Org/01quackeryrelate dtopics/candida.Html
dubious "yeast allergies"

stephen barrett, m.D.

Candida albicans (sometimes referred to as monilia) is a fungus normally present on the skin and in the mouth, intestinal tract, and vagina. Under certain conditions, it can multiply and infect the surface of the skin or mucous membranes. Such infections are usually minor, but serious and deeper infections can occur, especially in patients whose resistance has been weakened by immunosuppressant drugs and serious illnesses such as aids. However, some practitioners claim that even when clinical signs of infection are absent, yeast-related problems can cause or trigger multiple symptoms such as fatigue, irritability, constipation, diarrhea, abdominal bloating, mood swings, depression, anxiety, dizziness, unexpected weight gain, difficulty in concentrating, muscle and joint pain, cravings for sugar or alcoholic beverages, psoriasis, hives, respiratory and ear problems, menstrual problems, infertility, impotence, bladder infections, prostatitis, and "feeling bad all over." the list of symptoms is similar to that of multiple chemical sensitivity (mcs).

According to its promoters -- some of whom practice "clinical ecology" -- one out of three americans suffers from yeast-related illness, which they refer to as chronic candidiasis, candidiasis hypersensitivity, candida-related complex, the yeast syndrome, yeast allergy, yeast overgrowth, or simply "candida" or "yeast problem." many clinical ecologists view this alleged problem as an underlying cause of mcs. It is also touted as an important factor in aids, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and schizophrenia, as well as "hypoglycemia," "mercury-amalgam toxicity" and at least twenty other conditions. In recent years, proponents have suggested that chronic fatigue syndrome and candida infections are closely related [1]. This article uses the term "candidiasis hypersensitivity" in quotation marks to indicate that neither infection nor actual allergy is present.

The leading promoters of "candidiasis hypersensitivity" have been c. Orian truss, m.D., of birmingham, alabama and william g. Crook, m.D., of jackson, tennessee. Truss put forth his concepts with a series of articles that began in 1978 in the journal of orthomolecular psychiatry, an offbeat publication that caters to physicians who prescribe large amounts of vitamins to emotionally disturbed patients. In 1982, he self-published a book called the missing diagnosis. [2].

Crook, who died in october 2002, stated that he began treating and communicating about yeast problems in 1979 after reading one of truss's papers. In 1983, he published the first edition of his book the yeast connection [3], which he said was inspired by a television appearance that drew 7,300 requests for further information. Two years later, he established the international health foundation to help respond to the requests he kept generating. The foundation's goals were to "work to obtain credibility for the relationship of candida albicans to a diverse group of health disorders" and "helping children with repeated ear infections, hyperactivity, attention deficits and related behavior and learning problems." (he also espoused a variety of unconventional theories about allergies being at the root of these problems.) during the early 1990s, a booklet describing these goals listed tipper gore as a member of the foundation's 33-person advisory board [4]. In 1998, truss and crook launched an organization called the candida and dysbiosis information foundation.

The yeast connection states: "if a careful check-up doesn't reveal the cause for your symptoms, and your medical history [as described in his book] is typical, it's possible or even probable that your health problems are yeast-connected." the book also states that tests such as cultures don't help much in diagnosis because "candida germs live in every person's body . . . Therefore the diagnosis is suspected from the patient's history and confirmed by his response to treatment."

crook claimed that the problem arises because "antibiotics kill 'friendly germs' while they're killing enemies, and when friendly germs are knocked out, yeast germs multiply. Diets rich in carbohydrates and yeasts, birth control pills, cortisone, and other drugs also stimulate yeast growth." he also claimed that the yeasts produce toxins that weaken the immune system, which is also adversely affected by nutritional deficiencies, sugar consumption, and exposure to environmental molds and chemicals. To correct these alleged problems, he prescribes allergenic extracts, antifungal drugs, vitamin and mineral supplements, and diets that avoid refined carbohydrates, processed foods, and (initially) fruits and milk.

Crook's concepts are a mixture of fact and fancy. It is correct that antibiotics, birth control pills, and certain other drugs can stimulate overgrowth of yeasts, most commonly in the vagina. However:

* a yeast problem should not be diagnosed without definite clinical signs of an infection. The signs of a local infection, for example, can include itching, soreness, rash, and a discharge.
* if an infection is present, treatment with an antifungal drug makes sense. However, the rest of crook's recommendations are senseless whether an infection is present or not.

Severe criticism

the american academy of allergy, asthma and immunology has strongly criticized the concept of "candidiasis hypersensitivity syndrome" and the diagnostic and treatment approaches its proponents use. Aaaai's position statement concludes: (1) the concept of candidiasis hypersensitivity is speculative and unproven; (2) its basic elements would apply to almost all sick patients at some time because its supposed symptoms are essentially universal; (3) overuse of oral antifungal agents could lead to the development of resistant germs that could menace others; (4) adverse effects of oral antifungal agents are rare, but some inevitably will occur; and (5) neither patients nor doctors can determine effectiveness (as opposed to coincidence) without controlled trials. Because allergic symptoms can be influenced by many factors, including emotions, experiments must be designed to separate the effects of the procedure being tested from the effects of other factors [5]. Several years ago, crook told me that he had no intention of conducting a controlled test because he was "a clinician, not a researcher."

the antifungal drug most often prescribed by proponents of "candidiasis hypersensitivity" is nystatin (mycostatin, nilstat), which seldom has significant side effects. However, they also prescribe ketoconazole (nizoral), which has an incidence of liver toxicity (hepatitis) of about 1 in 10,000. The liver injury usually reverses when the drug is discontinued, but ketoconazole has been responsible for several deaths. For this reason it should be prescribed only for serious infections. Both of these drugs are expensive [6]. In a double-blind trial, the antifungal drug nystatin did no better than a placebo in relieving systemic or psychological symptoms of "candidiasis hypersensitivity syndrome." [7] a study of 100 consecutive chronic fatigue patients found no differences in historical, physical, or laboratory findings among those who believed their problem was yeast-related and those who did not [8].
Problems reported

in 1986, two doctors from loyola university stritch school of medicine reported seeing four young women whose nonspecific complaints included chronic fatigue, anxiety, and depression. All four mistakenly believed they had disseminated candidiasis and were taking nystatin or ketoconazole, which had been prescribed by their family physicians. All had read the yeast connection and had carried the book into the office during their visits. One patient on ketoconazole had hepatitis, which resolved when the drug was stopped [9].

Worse yet, a case has been reported of a child with a severe case of disseminated candidiasis who had been seen by a "candida doctor" and given inadequate treatment. The report concluded that "the advice of yeast connection advocates may be inappropriate even for illnesses in which candida is implicated." [10]

perhaps the saddest report was a letter in a health-food magazine from a woman appealing for help and encouragement. She said that a clinical ecologist had been treating her for allergies and candida for four years, that initial tests showed she "was allergic to all foods" as well as to numerous chemicals and inhalants, and that so far nothing had helped.
Dubious diagnostic questionnaires

the yeast connection contains a 70 or 90-item "candida questionnaire" and score sheet to determine how likely it is that health problems are yeast-connected. Crook has marketed several versions to physicians who accept his theories. The documents state,"if your point score is over 180, candida almost certainly plays a role in causing your health problems." scores over 120 mean "candida probably plays a role," 60 to 120 means it "possibly plays a role," and scores under 60 mean it is "less apt" to play a significant roll.

Shorter questionnaires have appeared in magazine articles, ads for products sold through health food stores, and flyers used by chiropractors. The most notorious were used as marketing devices by nature's way, of springville utah, whose product cantrol, was a conglomeration of capsules containing acidophilus, evening primrose oil, vitamin e, linseed oil, caprylic acid, pau d'arco, and several other substances.

Under federal law, any product intended for the prevention or treatment of disease is a drug, and it is illegal to market new drugs that do not have fda approval. In 1989, the fda's health fraud branch issued instructions and a sample regulatory letter indicating that it was illegal to market vitamin products intended for treating yeast infections. In 1990, nature's way and its president, kenneth murdock, settled an ftc complaint by signing a consent agreement to stop making unsubstantiated claims that cantrol is helpful against yeast infections caused by candida albicans.

Nature's way promoted cantrol with several versions of a self-test -- one of which is pictured below -- based on common symptoms the manufacturer claimed were associated with yeast problems. The ftc charged that the test was not valid for this purpose. The company also agreed to pay $30,000 to the national institutes of health to support research on yeast infections [11].

This questionnaire was part of a health-food store display nature's way distributed in 1986.
Do you know many people who would not answer "yes" to at least three questions?

This action and several others have driven most of the "anti-candida" concoctions from the marketplace and stopped their direct promotion to the public. However, the ingredients of these products are still marketed individually as "dietary supplements" and practitioners still prescribe them to their patients.

In 1990, the new jersey state attorney general secured consent agreements barring linda choi, m.D., and pruyakant doshi, m.D., from diagnosing and treating "candida albicans overgrowth syndrome." both were assessed $3,000 for investigative costs and had their medical license placed on probation for one year. Among other things, investigation by the state medical board had concluded that "candida albicans overgrowth" was not generally recognized as a clinical entity and had not been established as the cause of the conditions the doctors treated.

I believe that practitioners who diagnose nonexistent "yeast problems" should have their licenses revoked. Some apply this diagnosis to nearly every patient they see.
|

replied March 17th, 2006
Thanks a bunch for the information!
|

replied March 17th, 2006
I ditched the naturopath months ago after being diagnosed with depression/anxiety.
|

replied March 21st, 2006
Dave,

glad to hear the naturopath's history. I've got depression with anxiety, sometimes called atypical depression even though it's quite common. That's important to know because many psychiatrists don't know the drug combos that might work. They try one antidepressant, and don't try combinations if one drug doesn't work. In my case, it took 16 years before I finally found a psychiatrist who did. I feel almost normal now! Are you feeling better, or can I suggest some resources and drug combos?

Ok, to be more acurate atypical depression is diagnosed if someone's depressed and has 2 or more of the following symptoms: increased sleeping, increased appetitie, anxiety, sensativity to rejection, or leaden paralysis (feeling like your arms and legs are really heavy). I had them all except the last one.
|

replied March 22nd, 2006
Hey thanks for the post. Im taking effexor. I started feeling back to normal for about a week, but the drug hasnt really seemed to work very well, even though im taking 150 mg. I still feel tired and anxious, headaches and the heavy arms and legs thing went away after the meds. Any reccomendations?
Thanks again,
dave
|

replied March 22nd, 2006
Ya I still dont feel normal at all.
|

replied March 25th, 2006
Effexor
With me, I thought I was getting better when I first started a new antidepressant, but then realized after 2 or so weeks that that was just wishful thinking, however, I have heard that the newer drugs can work very well at first and then stop working. It seems to happen to effexor a lot.

This is a link to the texas medication implementation algorithms (tmia):
http://www.Dshs.State.Tx.Us/mhprograms/tim a.Shtm
it's a good general guideline for what to try why x,y,z didn't work.

I'd ask to be on 50 micrograms of t3 - cytomel, less than 50micrograms doesn't work, and it's a low enough dose that it won't have an effect on what your thyroid normally produces. (t4 works too but you need to take more). T3 doesn't seem to have any side effects. It also speeds up response to antidepressants as well as making them more effective. Lithium does this as well.

If you've been on effexor for 6-8 weeks, you could give it more time with t3 or lithium, and then switch to another antidepressant or a combination of two. I think you can increase the effexor dose as well. Then there are the other drugs you can take in as well.
----------------------------------------
effexor - general guidelines

posted by: christopher57
date: wednesday, 15 september 2004, at 9:41 p.M.

Effexor at any dose for more than 3 months should first be discussed with md..Reason = to avoid serotonin "crash" with all the untoward side effects..Rule of thumb...Person been taking 150xr mg 2 am = 300 mg of effexor for 6+ months..Usual reduction titration = 300 mgs to 225 first 4 days,
175 mgs next 4 days...137.5 mgs next 4 days...100 mgs next 4 days..75 mgs next 4 days...37.5 mgs next 4 days..37.5 mgs every other day fo four days

unlike most ssri's effexor produces activity within the norepenephrine synapses..Effexor should be cautiously titrated down, please discuss with your md..Effexor also has a higher tendency to "poop-out" stop working, than the standard ssri's..I have seen an unusually large amount of individuals titrate down to zero and begin zoloft @ very low doses 25 - 50 mgs daily - odd, but for some reason, individuals who did fairly well with effexor (until it feels like it just stops working after 1 to 5 years) and have had numerous experiences with just about all of the "anti-depressants" going back to tofranil, other 3 ring combo's(elavil, desyrl, serequan, etc. Used in late 60's prior to prozac (1986)and it's chemical cousins. Unless your md is a psychiatrist and a cracker-jack psychopharmacologist...Most other md's have not heard of the anomaly of effexor reduction titration (slow) to zero and then almost sub-clinical doses of zoloft..Be well...Chris57

http://www.Rxlist.Com/rxboard/effexor.Pl?N oframes;read=4768
----------------------------------------
|

replied September 2nd, 2009
Lithium, Yeast or what can it be
HI there,
I am a 34 year old women, who is experiencing many physical things with my body. I have had many tests and ultrasounds but every thing keeps coming back normal (what ever that is). I have Bipolar and have finally just been diagnoised with that 3 years ago and the meds i'm on (Lithium and seriquil) have helped me tramendousley. My Thiroyd has always been low and looked after by medication but it along with my litium just had to be elivated due to wacky blood levels. My levels seem to be fine again Thank God. But my big problem now is that my stomach is bloating its hard And i look like i'm ready to give birth (no i'm not pregnant tested and tubes tied a year ago) I'm not in any pain jusy uncomfortable due to the pressure. Question i have could this be yeast problems due to the meds i'm on??????? Thank you in advance D
|

replied October 8th, 2009
Chronic Candidiasis
Dave,

I realize that you may never read this as it is several years later but I am still responding with great hope to enlighten and possibly help others with this condition.

First of all, I empathize with you on your situation. I am not a medical doctor and cannot tell you that chronic candidiasis is what you have, however, it cannot be excluded. It is extremely frustrating when you have gone to multiple doctors who cannot give you an answer as to what is causing your symptoms and worse blame it on anxiety, depression, or psychosomatic illness.

I am quite familiar with this as it has happened to me and was diagnosed by the aforementioned Dr.C.Orian Truss. After years of trying to figure out what was wrong with me and my multiple seemingly non-related symptoms, I found Dr. Truss who diagnosed me with chronic candidiasis and began treatment immediately.

As a RN in the surgical ICU, I would have at one time had great skepticism to this diagnosis as well as any so-called alternative medicine. That is until my symptoms became so severe that I had an unrelenting head-to-toe exfoliative rash that led to multiple skin infections while working with patients that had bacterial infections. I no longer had a protective barrier of skin and had to coat my entire body with Aquaphor to maintain some form of skin integrity. While this is a more extreme case I did have many other symptoms prior to this that are commonly found in patients with chronic yeast overgrowth.

I went to several doctors who made great attempts at trying to figure out the cause of my symptoms but were unable to do so. These doctors had specialties in internal medicine, allergies, and dermatology. After almost a year and a half, my symptoms were so debilitating that I had to quit working and go on short-term disability much to my frustration and dismay.

I came to Dr.Truss as a last ditch effort and in hopes of finding someone who could finally provide some answers. I will never forget sitting in Dr.Truss's office as he named off every symptom that I had ever had without my saying a word. It seemed almost impossible that this physician could know my symptoms and that they could all be related. Of course I broke down and cried like a baby but that is only to be expected after having gone through such a terrible ordeal.

After beginning treatment with Nystatin four times a day, a yeast-free and carb-restricted diet, as well as allergy injections that included titrating different strains of Candida, my symptoms began to improve and eventually disappeared entirely. I got my life back to say the least and was thankfully able to return to work.

I cannot entirely blame the physician above for his skepticism as well as that of many others as I would probably feel the same way if it had not happened to me. Apparently and unfortunately, there is not enough research being done to prove that this diagnosis is in fact real. However, to call Dr.Truss and other well- educated and highly respected physicians who believe in this diagnosis "quacks" is completely disrespectful and shows what little education the naysayers themselves have on the subject.

After saying all of this I would like to pose a few questions to all of the incredulous physicians out there. If a patient comes to you with symptoms with an unidentified cause would you rather give in to the possibility that there may be a diagnosis and treatment plan that you are neither familiar with nor believe in or let the patient continue to suffer? If no harm would be done to either you or the patient then why not try to at least seek out alternate or unfamiliar treatment for the benefit of the patient. Is this not why you chose to become a physician, to try to help those in need?

Finally, I cannot thank Dr.Truss enough for his research and belief that this diagnosis truly exists. It is physicians like him who are entirely dedicated to the care of their patients and who can think outside of the box that give patients a second chance at recovery and a healthy life. He practiced medicine until his death in September 2009 at the age of 86. He was truly an amazing doctor and will be forever missed.

The Missing Diagnosis I and The Missing Diagnosis II are both books written by Dr. Truss for anyone interested in learning more about Dr. Truss and chronic candidiasis.

As a side note, if anyone knows of another physician who treats this with the above mentioned plan, please reply as I need to continue treatment.

Thanks and God bless!
Sarah
|

replied October 27th, 2009
Sarah,

I'd be interested in your take on an antifungal called lufenuron. It supposedly breaks down or prevents the formation of chitin that is found in the cell walls of yeast. Lufenuron is said to be very inert in regard to mammals and has apparently been used with dogs for quite a while. From what I understand, it doesn't require a prescription. The only name I've heard in conjunction with lufenuron and candida is a lady whose last name is Vaughter.
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2009
Experienced User
The yeast thing seems like bunk but I have to think there is something like that in people, including myself, which is going undiagnosed and/or is uncurable like a cancer. I suffer worse than you can imagine and have tried the anti-yeast diets and pills to no avail. The one area that I think should be focused on is the sinuses, thats where all the problems seem to lie yet it seems almost impossible to get a concrete diagnosis.
|

replied June 12th, 2010
Does this sound like candida to you?
I have been experiencing weird symptoms for about 2 years now and I wonder if this sounds like candida to anyone:

1. slight itchiness/pressure around eyes

2. darkening of under eyes

3. white, fuzzy tongue that I have to brush at least once daily... I quit smoking but when I smoked I noticed the coating would be grey instead of white. quitting smoking hasn't stopped the coating from forming, it's just whiter instead of greyish.

4. lowered tolerance to alcohol

5. gas, frequent diarrhea

6. persistent mild groin rash, looks like a heat rash from where my legs rub into my groin and into each other .. it doesn't itch but it never quite goes away

7. tiredness after eating a large meal

8. general feeling of lethargy

9. cravings for alcohol (even though my tolerance seems much lower)

10. white spots that appear on hands and feet sometimes... not a rash. sometimes they are very noticeable and other times they're not. I wonder if it's circulation-related?

11. Until about 7-8 months ago, I had what I can only describe as prostratitus (sp?).. my pee would come out in a trickle and I'd feel a lot of pressure. It took FOREVER to urinate. Ejaculating was pretty much impossible. It felt like my prostate was swollen up huge, like a golfball was inserted into my rectum. This however has completely gone away, which may or may not be due to some supplements I took for a couple months.

12. I don't know how to classify it other than "rumbly gut." It's almost like feeling hungry all the time.

I am 29, and male. I've read that candida is extremely rare in men, and it scares me to death because I don't conclusively know what is wrong with me. I went to a health clinic and the doctor basically thought it was all anxiety, and tried to prescribe me an anti-depressant, and also prescribed some antibiotics. I took the antibiotics, which did absolutely nothing for me. Luckily, it didn't make my symptoms any worse.

I just can't think of how/why I might have candida...

I am not really in a risk group for HIV... I am straight, from the midwest, and I do not sleep around. Although one time about 2.5 years ago I did have unprotected sex with a co-worker at the time, and I found out later that she had a reputation for being really easy if you know what I mean. I haven't been sick in a long time.. the last time I was sick was the January before last, and before then it was at least a year or two since I've been sick.

I know that I can't write off HIV as a possibility, I guess I'm just mentally trying to convince myself that I don't have it. Diabetes does run in my family though, so it's a lot more likely that I have it, or that I'm developing it.

The really weird thing is that I didn't start to notice any symptoms until after I made some positive, healthy changes in my life. I used to hang out at bars every night and drink a LOT of alcohol, and i never noticed any problems. However, a couple of months after I stopped drinking all the time, I started noticing these symptoms.

Can a guy get candida without having diabetes, cancer or hiv? I do have a lot of stress and anxiety.

feel free to write me.
|

replied June 14th, 2010
Lufenuron for Candida Species
I have been hearing a lot about Lufenuron lately has anyone tried this? Supposedly it doesn't harm the good bacteria which is a great thing! I am currently taking Nystatin 3 times a day plus a pro biotic but really no change in symptoms.

It sure is one heck of a thing to get rid of! Sadly so many are just suggesting things (supplements) and it doesn't get to the root of the problem.
|

replied July 3rd, 2010
Candidaiasis and monononucleosis
Skunk3 - I just found a link between candidiasis and having mono. Think that may be your problem? Found it on Wikipedia. I've been talking to a few friends who also have been diagnosed with candidiasis - one a cousin who erupted with terrible skin lesions all over her face and had to be treated at hospital. It triggered a thought that we had all had mono and checked to see if there was a link. Weird, huh?
|

replied July 3rd, 2010
I also just ordered Lufenuron. Hoping this helps me and will report back on my results.
|

replied March 5th, 2011
I highly recommend lufenuron. Same exact results in just a few weeks course of taking it as being on the diet for six months. No side effects whatsoever. Amazing!! Finally I can have a piece of bread or a glass of wine and not suffer from what feels like a massive allergy attack.
|

replied April 4th, 2011
I agree that the description of "quacks" is disrespectful.

No physician or specialist has been able to help me. All they've done is cost me money - and completely overlooked which now seems obvious (if not - worth a shot). Candida.

If there's any field that truly needs adjustment here, it's the medical field.

Perhaps it is an overprescribed diagnosis by naturopaths, but at least it's a consideration!!
|

replied May 21st, 2011
I too am taking Lufenuron. So far day 6 I feel terrible so it is killing the overgrowth of yeast and I can get back to normal. Also I am looking into low dose naltexone, (search ldn on google), to boost my immune system because I have sjoegrin's syndrom-like symptoms. I refuse to give up getting better.
|

replied June 1st, 2011
Tongue and intestinal
Hello skunk3,
Sorry you are feeling poorly. I have to be vigilant to every problem you mentioned, except #6 and #10. I have been helped by: (1.) drinking water. Since I never thirst for it, I often sneak it into what I eat, turning things semi-soupy! I am also greatly helped by(2.)Following Dr. Adkins advice on increasing fats and stopping sugars. (Artificial sweeteners excluded as well).
For my tongue, I found it was helpful to take a tsp. of plain old mustard 2 or 3 times a day ESPECIALLY at bedtime.
I realize now that yours was an older post. Can you update us on how your doing?
|
12 >>
Quick Reply