Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Arm Numbness After Eating/drinking (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I am 21 years old and have always been in relatively good health. However, recently after a large meal my arms went numb and I became dizzy. I went into the bathroom of the restaurant and thought I was going to pass out. The symptoms were somewhat similar to those of a panic attack, and the numbness remained for most of the evening. There was a point where I thought I needed to go to the emergency room for a heart attack, blood clot, or something similar.

Since that occurence (about a month ago) I often get heavy, numb, sort of warm arms after eating (but without the panic attack feeling of before). It happens about 50% of the time.

Also, for as long as I can remember, I have experienced the same symptoms when I drink any amount of alcohol. After just a few sips -- not nearly enough to feel intoxicated or even "buzzed" -- my arms become heavy and numb. It is the exact feeling I get when I eat.

If anyone has any idea what could be causing this, or has ever experienced anything similar, I would love to hear it. The only thing I can think of is that it may be some sort of blood sugar issue, but i'm really ignorant on the subject.

I also read these could be symptoms of gallbladder trouble, but i've had no real pain.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Deansalvatore
|
Users who thank stacy314 for this post: kimcra 

replied May 1st, 2009
Iget it too....it has been going on for about a year.....also, when i am stressed....can also have abdominal cramping and mild chest discomfort.....i wish it would end!@
|

replied June 22nd, 2009
I am a 23 year old experiencing this as well. I have spent the last year panicking silently about this terrible numbness. After a large meal my arms get numb and often times panic ensues. I have been eating smaller meals lately in order to avoid the numbness which lasts most of the evening.
After a night of heavy drinking I experience these same symptoms only much worse. The numbness is much more prominent and lasts 24 hours or more. It is primarily on my left side and on top of the numbness is the troubling weak feeling in my left arm and leg... I convinced myself that I had something wrong with my heart. Then I convinced myself that I was having a stroke. But after having these episodes repeatedly and recovering I realized that this was not the case. Thank God!
After doing a little research I think that it is a blood sugar issue as well but like you I am uneducated on the subject. It is good to know that I am not alone in experiencing these problems but I wish I knew the cause. Another health website suggested that powerade and simple sugar intake could remedy the problem. Honey on toast was suggested. If anyone could shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it.
|

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2009
Just this evening, I left a friend's house early (before dinner) because I was feeling quite nauseous. I knew it was only a matter of time before I was going to vomit and I wanted to get home for all of that. On the way home (on the freeway) I suddenly began to go numb in both arms. They felt heavy and extremely tingley. Then, I became very dizzy and short of breath. I remember thinking that it would be nice to just lie down and go to sleep. I began to sweat and the thought occurred to me that I was maybe having a heart attack. Just then, I felt an uncontrolable urge to vomit, which I did after pulling over to the side of the road. Twice I did this and then began to feel much better; however, I still have the numbness in my arms and am a bit lightheaded now. I am also very nauseous still with diarea. This is strange.
|

replied August 20th, 2009
I Am also experiencing this same thing. I am 20 and it's been going on and off for about 2 months. If I eat smaller meals its generally fine but when I eat a larger meal my hands and mouth get numb and usually last 24 hour. I also get chest pains and the same feelings as a panic attack.

Any help on this subject would be appreciated
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2009
i am 33 and have been feeling this for about 3 months now...anyone find out what it is???
|

replied September 2nd, 2009
anybody have any information at all?
|

replied September 9th, 2009
Panic
WOW. even though its not a good feeling and it's quite scary it helps a little to know that I'm not alone. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on. Doctors have yet to give me a diagnosis. I just feel like if I knew exactly what it was it would be easier to deal with. I have been getting this everyday now and it's driving me insane. seriously.
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2009
puzzled
I'm 37 and I've only just recently been getting this after I've drank a bit too much the night before. The next day late in the afternoon my arms feel heavy, numb, sort of warm. I find I have to sit down and keep still because if I try to move my arms they spastically twitch. It lasts for about 10 minutes before I'm fine again. It is really scary. I'll have to keep checking to see if anyone knows exactly what this is. I can't seem to find any info online.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied February 13th, 2010
Did anyone find out what this is? I have started experiencing the same things as well, and it is really frightening.... Please, please post a follow up if you discover the cause.
|

replied April 7th, 2010
I noticed similar symptoms after eating at a particular restaurant. Mostly my arms and back just feel numb and heavy though not really any discomfort. I thought it was MSG in food or something lol. It happens dam near every time It there recently.
|

replied April 7th, 2010
I''m back did a quick search on some commonly reported side effects of MSG and I found this
REPORTED REACTIONS TO MSG
* Burning sensation in the back of the neck, forearms and chest
* Numbness in the back of the neck, radiating to the arms and back
* Tingling, warmth and weakness in the face, temples, upper back, neck and arms
* Facial pressure of tightness
* Chest pain
* Headache
* Nausea
* Rapid heartbeat
* Bronchiospasm in MSG-intolerant people with asthma
* Drowsiness
* Weakness
|

replied October 31st, 2010
i get pain in my left arm when eating driving me mad
|

replied December 6th, 2010
I agree, it may be an MSG-intolerance!
About a year ago, I noticed my arm went numb for a few days. One day I was just so concerned that I went to the hospital because I thought I was having a stroke or something. They had no idea what was wrong with me, so they gave me a note to go easy with Cheerleading. Then, it went away.

Then, it started happening again this year, A LOT... I think the arm numbness we are all relating to is due to MSG-intolerance, eating too many carbs, stress, or a combination of these... I eat a lot of fast food and a lot of carbs when I cook my own meals, which all of that stuff contains MSG. I noticed a lot of you guys said you ate large meals or partied and that's when you noticed these side-affects.

I recommend getting a blood test or talking to your doctor to see if you should be on any medication and to know if you are MSG-intolerant, so you know what to avoid.

The reason I believe it has something to do with MSG or maybe even eating too many carbs is because I just ate garlic sticks drenched in butter and salt and I started feeling extremely nauseous and my arm went numb and felt very heavy. I also started getting dizzy and feeling sick to my stomach.

Also, I have chronic asthma and have started to notice spasms that burn so bad.
|

replied December 15th, 2010
i have mitral valve prolapse and experience many of the symptoms here. my left arm heaviness had been excessive lately...came across this researching about it. a mitral valve prolapse episode feels like a panic attack because of increased erratic heartbeat, but is usually harmless aside from the uncomfortableness.
|

replied December 23rd, 2010
I partied hard for 2 nites, was heading for a third, too much alcohol and "other things" too and had a line of something to wake me up to go another nite and both my arms went numb, my fingers gnarled up a bit and I felt really weird...was nautious and after some time I got sick and the numbness went away, has anyone been through this, someone told me I may have had a mini-stroke!!
|

replied February 6th, 2011
Same here...
I'm a 34 year old male and have just had the same symptoms. I partied the night before drinking excessive alcohol and ended up vomiting that night because of it. Woke up the next day and ate at a Hamburger joint. I then hopped in my friends ride for a 30 min drive and then the symptoms started. Both of my arms went numb and part of my face did too. My breath was shallow and it felt like some sort of panic attack was coming on. This lasted for 20 minutes until I got out of the car and immediately started drinking a gang of water. Only then is when I started feeling normal again. I'm no doctor but it seems to be some sort of chemical imbalance in your body with dehydration in the mix. I suggest that if this happens to anyone else try doing this and post back. I'm also assuming Powerade could possibly help too.
|

replied March 25th, 2011
Numb, Symptoms, Symptoms Of Heart Attacks, Anxiety, Panic
I have the same issue from last 3 years and I am under treatment from last 18 months. After all the tests, doctor came to a conclusion that this is a case of Anxiety/ Panic disorder/attack and I have been taking pills for that. I quite often take Alcohol and as a result I go through numbness on my right arm and leg and the same when I have a packaged Juice. The heart beat will go up and arm will go numb.

I would advice have short and frequent meals with less amount of sugar in everything. Also, one should stop consuming Alcohol and live life with meditation.

The best solution is to get yourself out of Depression and stuff like that.

Hope this helps!!!!
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2011
numb hands and lips/face after eating
just came across this while trying to do some research for what my boyfriend is going through, a lot of the comments have been very helpful! He is 21 years old and has just recently developed a sort of numbness in his hands and mouth/face, sometimes over his whole body. He can still move his hands and face, but says they just don't feel like his, and its kind of a drunk feeling.
It started a few weeks ago after being very sick, some sort of GI bug. We've finally realized it happens usually after he eats, and is much worse if he has alcohol. He hardly drinks, but after he had just a sip of my mojito the other night, he had the numbness at the most extreme and it lasted a few hours.
Someone commented that they have similar symptoms accompanied by extreme abdominal pain. I hadn't thought to connect the two, but he has had abdominal pain every couple months or so for a few years now. The pain can be so bad that he cannot stand up straight. I thought this may be a type of ulcer?
A doctor that he saw was of no help at all. She only asked him if he was currently experiencing pain, and when he said "no", she basically said "well what do you expect me to do about it?" and told him to lose weight. He's maybe 30 lbs overweight and he is already very self-conscious about it, so he isn't too excited to be seeing any other doctors without knowing a little bit more of what he should be asking about specifically.
Some comments suggested gall bladder issues or MSG intolerance, both very possible in his case. He also thought it may be yeast in his stomach, he said he knew someone in highschool who had this and it made him drunk when he ate sugar. This is probably unlikely, but still in the same ballpark.
Sorry, this is a very long comment! one last thing is that it surprises me how many of the people who have these symptoms are roughly 20-30 years old. I wonder if this has anything to do with it as well? interesting. If anyone has a diagnosis I would love to hear Smile
|
12 >>