Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Average Time For Flu-like Symptoms???

Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
What is the average time for ars symtoms to appear? Is it possible to have flu-like symptoms of hiv 3 days after unprotected sex?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 27th, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
There are no 100% symptoms associated with hiv.
|

replied October 28th, 2005
Thanks for your reply. But my question was specific, cause new infected people (80 - 90%) will experience flu-like symptoms soon after infection. But I don't know what means "soon" - days, weeks or months?
|

I'm telling you right now, hiv has no symptoms; you could go years without knowing your infected. The effects that it has (destroying your immune system) could occur after several months or many years. Effects won't be seen in days or even weeks.
|

I was going to ask the same exact questions. I am not satisfied with the reply though. I have read a few articles that indicate after being infected hiv can cause flu like sypmtoms within a month or 2. But maybe 10 years, it highly depends on the individual. I mean if you never get tested there must be symptoms caused by hiv that would show a decline in health. Anyway don't take my word for it, just punch in "hiv early symptoms" in a google search. Here is one link that seemed credible:

http://www.Labtestsonline.Org/understandin g/conditions/hiv-3.Html
|

replied October 30th, 2005
In most cases, what is happening is that you have contracted the flu or another virus/illness. Because your immune system is weak, you are unable to fight it and you have what seem to be "flu-like" symptoms from hiv as an effect. They are not, however, a symptom or caused by hiv directly.
|

replied November 16th, 2005
Experienced User
Symptoms
Though the symptoms of ars are not definitive in terms of the period, some get it during the window period when the body struggles to create the antibodies. Many recognise a flu like illness followed by rashes and or sore throat. Some recognise lymph gland enlargement though not common.

However, symptoms are not the diagonsis for any disease. Similar symptoms could also accur due to anxitey and other virul illness. The only way to confirm is to get tested at 3 and 6 months interval.
|

replied November 16th, 2005
Re: Symptoms
kiklis2k wrote:
however, symptoms are not the diagonsis for any disease. Similar symptoms could also accur due to anxitey and other virul illness. The only way to confirm is to get tested at 3 and 6 months interval.

absolutley right! The "cold-like" symptoms described are often said to be like a cross between mono and the flu. But once again, hiv reacts differently in everyone, some people get certain symptoms, while others don't.
|

replied January 20th, 2006
Experienced User
Symptoms
Hiv is not always symptomatic, but sometimes it is. Though this is in no way a reliable means for diagnosis, hiv+ people can often experience such things as drenching night sweats, episodes of lymph node swelling and tiredness - without having full-blown aids.

But the question was about hiv seroconversion - which does not occur 3 days after the episode. That is far too soon.
|