Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Fishy After Sex (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
Is this a normal thing to smell fshy after sex?? I dont have a yeast infection or anything this just happens after semen leaks out on my panties.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Myblossom
|

replied November 4th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
I get that sometimes too :? I guess cuz the wetness of u and the sperm of him are combined ,
|

replied October 17th, 2011
It's mainly caused by imbalance in vaginal pH levels, also flagyl might kill the good bacteria too...that's why i used 100% natural methods that cured my bv infections within 3 days
|

replied November 5th, 2011
MALE AND VAGINAL SECRETIONS.
HOW LONG DOES THE SMELL LAST. NOT FISHY BUT THE SMELL OF MY VAJAY JAY AND HIS SEMEN. AND HOW LONG DOES THE SEMEN LEAK FOR
|

replied November 4th, 2005
I think you should have a pap test, to clear things out
|

replied November 5th, 2005
Fishy Smell
The first time I had a fishy smell after sex I was diagnosed with baterical vaginosis. Sometimes when you have sex your ph levels change. I purchased a book called the v book by elizabeth g stewart. Ladies this book is excellent on educating you on you vagina. When I was diagnosed I was given metrogel, basically you insert the gel into the vagina for 5-7 days or u might be given oral med called metrodonizle aka flagyl. I recommend going to the herbal store too for suggestions as well. Please see you doctor for the correct diagnoses.
|

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
But doesnt sex and semen usually have some odor afterwards??
|

replied November 8th, 2005
After sex the odor is tolerable and does not smells fishy, I think you have a bacteria in you, I have experined that before and my pap test revealed that I have vaginosis. My Dr. Gave me 1 week medicationto to be inserted the name of the med is neo-penotran.
|

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks
Guess I better get to the doc to check that out, thanks!
|

replied December 7th, 2005
This happened to me before but I never thought anything of, and never did anything about it, and it never happened again!
|

User Profile
replied December 8th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
I dont thinkthere is anything wrong with me...Because its only when I have semen leaking out hours later...I may go 5 days without intercourse and have no unusual smell at all...Oh well I think it will be okay.
|

replied August 1st, 2011
I have it as well, i had a pap done in March and everything came out clean. It may be the semen. if your bf or significant other doesnt have a healthy diet that can cause it. just wash up real well and i put deoderant on between my thighs to help with the sweat
|

replied October 6th, 2011
Bacterial vaginosis isn't like other infections that require medications just to get rid of it. If you smelled like fish, you probably had it. People think of infections and think: sickness and medicine. I mean, it does mean your vagina is not as healthy (at that point in time) as it could be but"Bacterial vaginosis" is merely a word to describe what kind of bacteria populates your vagina. When the bad bacteria outnumbers the good, you have it. This can change often and even daily- what you eat, sperm, what pills you take all change it. Our bodies are either acidic, alkaline, or somewhere in the middle of the two. When we eat processed foods or consume too much sugar, we become more acidic, which allows the bad bacteria to grow faster. Caffeine, smoking, and drinking can cause us to be acidic. Douches, soap, and the medicines used to treat Bacterial Vaginosis kill good bacteria. I highly recommend reading more about bacterial vaginosis. Because a lot of people don't know that the medicines doctors give for that merely kill all of the bacteria in the vagina, it doesn't really "cure" anything. Sperm is acidic and it just being in your vagina changes it. So, you did probably have it, but your body balanced itself out.
|
Users who thank sweetievee for this post: Mzdonerson24 

replied December 16th, 2005
Hey lily, you think you're okay but it sounds like bacterial vaginosis. I had it before, and my Dr. Told me all about it. He said the semen and the bacteria mixing together is what caused the smell. A fishy smell is never normal. Get it checked out.
|

User Profile
replied December 23rd, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Ummm I dunno I really hate going to the doctor but if it doesnt go away I guess I will have too...If I have bacterial vaginosis will it keep me from getting pregnant or whatever?
|

replied October 6th, 2011
Bacterial vaginosis can hinder you from getting pregnant if it gets serious enough. It also can spread up into your womb if left unchecked for long enough. Pregnant women are more prone to getting it. So monitor it closely if you do get pregnant. I had it when I got pregnant and they gave me medicine and said it would go away. But some (unlucky)women keep getting it. The doctors failed to tell me that. They also failed to tell me that the medicine just kills all the bacteria and bad bacteria grows back faster, so I should have been eating better and making sure it wouldn't come back. I didn't know this and because of it the infection came back and caused preterm labor. The amniotic sack broke 4 and a half months into the pregnancy. My baby died because the doctors failed to inform me of the risks and didn't explain how serious BV can be.
|

replied March 6th, 2012
Lilypad, you should hate smelling fishly more than hating going to the doctor to check yourself out. Don't ignore the signs your body gives you. Teh bacterial vaginosis isn't bad in fact its common in most women just as yest infections, however, it still must be treated. You can go to wal-mart and purchase RePHesh that will get rid of you BV and smell.

If the smell is presistant, then you need your doctor. You should always play it safe.
|

replied December 27th, 2005
Re: Fishy After Sex
lilypad wrote:
is this a normal thing to smell fshy after sex?? I dont have a yeast infection or anything this just happens after semen leaks out on my panties.
|

replied January 6th, 2006
It's normal...It's happened to me and my boyfriend before...Usually when we have a lot of sex. My gyno said i'm perfectly fine and that it's just one of those things. My advice: take a shower (preferably with whoever you just had sex with!) and change your clothes afterward.
|

replied January 9th, 2006
If it is a very strong bad fishy smell then you probably have an infection. Go to your doctor just to be on the safe side.
|

replied January 28th, 2006
I had that happen before, I was pregnant at the time and it was a bacterial infection. Does have to do with ph levels. Go to the doctor, its not a pleasent situation to be in.
|

replied January 30th, 2006
Fishy Is Never Good...
I had the exact same symptoms and they would go away and then come back and finally I got tired of it and went to the doctor and it was bacterial vaginosis... Here are some facts off the web...

Women with bv may have an abnormal vaginal discharge with an unpleasant odor. Some women report a strong fish-like odor, especially after intercourse. Discharge, if present, is usually white or gray; it can be thin. Women with bv may also have burning during urination or itching around the outside of the vagina, or both. Some women with bv report no signs or symptoms at all.

Having bv has been associated with an increase in the development of pelvic inflammatory disease (pid)

although bv will sometimes clear up without treatment, all women with symptoms of bv should be treated to avoid such complications as pid. Male partners generally do not need to be treated. However, bv may spread between female sex partners.

Treatment is especially important for pregnant women. All pregnant women who have ever had a premature delivery or low birth weight baby should be considered for a bv examination, regardless of symptoms, and should be treated if they have bv. All pregnant women who have symptoms of bv should be checked and treated.

Source:
http://www.Cdc.Gov/std/bv/stdfact-bacteria l-vaginosis.Htm#whatis

carolyn
www.Gselite.Com/vitaminsunlimited
|

replied November 5th, 2007
Re: Fishy After Sex
I don't think its normal to be smell fishy.. this happend to me before and I went to my doc to have me check-up and she give me the meds and she told me to use it for about a week. Actually she give me 2 kinds of medicine and after that the fishy smell is gone and even now its almost 7 months the last time I used it (the meds) the smell never came back even after we have sex. You should go to the doctor..
Somebody mention about the Neo-Penotran here, but you can't buy it in USA bec. its not in here at all..
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2007
Supporter
there's a post about this in sexual health, too. i smell fishy down there after sex. it is not an infection, because the only time i get it is after my bf ejaculates in me. old semen just smells rank. there's nothing wrong with you.
|

replied November 16th, 2007
how about douching yr vagina after sex with some chamomile? just to get rid of the sperm and bacteria..i was wondering..sperm can cause infections? but the vagina is made to receive sperm..it is nature..can u get an infection like that? anyway..a little douche with chamomile will help u..
|

replied August 17th, 2011
bacterial vaginosis
I had the same thing. I had no odor until my husband and I had sex. Makes you not want to have sex for the smell later! I went to the gyno and she said bacterial vaginosis and treated it with meds and it went away. As far as douching, if you have a bacteria in your vagina, by douching you will force the bacteria into your uterus causing more problems.
|

replied March 17th, 2009
Its normal, I had the same problem and i went to the gyno she said that its because of the semen and the ph levels. She recommended just taking a shower as soon as you know what happens and changing your clothes and it should go away on its own or buying a product from the pharmacy such as represh or something to restore your balance down there. I disagree with the BV posts if its only when your bf you know...in you then it doesn't sound like a problem.
|
Quick Reply