Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Bowflex/exercise And Cold Weather

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
I've used a bowflex for about four years. I've run into an interesting (read: frustrating) phenomenon the last two winters. I don't heat my home during the day, so when I return home after work to exercise the house is cold. I've noticed during these times that my weight lifting ability declines dramatically.

I can understand that one who is chilled (which I am during these sessions) might not possess the same muscular strength that one has when warm and comfortable, but the difference is so great that I have to think that something else is going on.

I'm wondering if the bowflex power rods demonstrate varying stiffness depending on ambient temperature. That is, they stiffen when cold and offer more resistance to bending. Thus a 50 lb power rod might provide 50 lbs of resistance at 80 degrees and, say, 60 lbs at 60 degrees.

Has anyone experienced the same situation and, if so, can you offer an explanation?

I appreciate any advice that can be offered.
Don
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 5th, 2009
I've noticed the exact same phenomenon with my Bowflex. I've had to take at least 10 lbs of resistance off my Bowflex when the weather is cold (I exercise in an unheated garage).
|

replied December 7th, 2009
I agree with Rhovan. i am also in a unheated garage and have to take about 10 lbs of resistance off. i keep a log and track the weather and wt i used. it helps out alot.
|

replied February 15th, 2010
When you say an unheated garage, where do you live? I'm trying to figure out if my garage would be too cold for the Bowflex. I live in Ohio and the weather gets down to single digits in the winter routinely. When I use it it could be in the 20s (F). Any input?
|

replied February 15th, 2010
I'm in California and gets about high 30's.. I have mine in the tandum portion of my garage. I recently but a curtain up and a space heater and it has helped alot. My garage is unfinished except for the tandum part. In all honestly it will effect the rods but if you keep track of weather and resistance you'll see a pattern and can still track your progress.
|

replied January 7th, 2012
I live in NYC and it gets cold here, obviously. My Flex is on the "Sun" porch so it is exposed to the elements all the time because I have no room for it anywhere else. I just want to be sure that they won't break. I actually like the idea that the rods get heavier in cold weather. I can use that to my advantage.

Anybody answer that question? Will they snap?

I really need to know because I have not been using it and I really need to.
|

replied March 1st, 2012
Bowflex and Temp
We live in eastern Oregon and where we would have a Bowflex is out in our garage, too, so we were curious about the same things. I called Bowflex just now and they said the machine should be room temp (60-80*) or you could snap the power rods. Now, I'm sure there is some flexibility in temp and that they have to tell you this, but just wanted to share. Unfortunately, we are no longer in pursuit of a bowflex. =(
|