Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Wake Up Anxious Every Morning (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Lately every morning I wake up with butterflies in my stomach. I'm nervous and scared and have no idea why. About a month ago a stopped using a medication I had been on for the past 13 years. The medication had many side affects one of which was keeping me in a tired zombie like state. Now i'm up and aware. I wonder if that has something to do with it?
Does anyone else every get these feelings of doom and gloom in the morning? Once I get up and start my day it all goes away and everything is back to normal....Till I wake up the next morning
ella
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ella138
|

replied October 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
A lot of people get anxious in the morning...Don't know what the days is going to bring, where it will take you, etc. It is wonderful that the anxiety goes away, that means you have the mental power to stop it in the morning.

Did you stop your medication cold turkey? Maybe that could have something to do with it.
|

lmw80 wrote:
did you stop your medication cold turkey? Maybe that could have something to do with it.

no. I stopped my meds over a period of a month. I am glad it doesn't last all day. I guess as soon as I fill my mind with the routine of daily activities I am not focused on being nervous any long. Some days the thought of getting out of bed it scary.
|

replied January 10th, 2012
I do te same I just lay there sometimes then finally get up. But same thing again next morning. Yet at night I feel pretty good as long as I sty busy on the computer or watch a movie
|

Experienced User
Yes it is scary! I often think how much easier if would be for me to just lay in bed all day...Then I remind myself that I can't do that, it would only cause more problems if I didn't get done what I needed to.
|

I know what you mean
|

I seem to have to stay busy to feel good or watch good movie or get on computer..
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2009
I hate that feeling
Every morning I too get the feeling of doom and gloom. Ifeel it as soon as I go in the bathroom to start my morning routine. It goes away for me too, its just the daunting feeling is terrible. I'm glad others are in the same boat with me Smile
|

same here Ian. I get up thinkin I'm not going to be able to get anything done....or like its a huge task of some kind but actually small like going to post office...
|

replied July 10th, 2009
I wake up every morning with anxiety. It doesn't seem to really be about anything in particular, but I can't even sleep in anymore. It wakes me up early, then I can't get back to sleep. Once I'm up I'm okay. This has been happening ever since my mother died 6 months ago. I don't have trouble getting to sleep, and I don't feel anxious during the day, but it's just when I wake in the morning. I really don't like it.
|

replied July 11th, 2009
I have been waking up between 3-4am for the last 6 months or so & feel extremely anxious & trembling. This all started when I decided to go off my antidepressant of 8 years. I was tired of feeling like a zombie & didn't think I needed it anymore. Now I regret going off because the anxiety has returned 10x worse. I am seeing a doctor & they having been playing around with different meds but nothing is helping right now. I never have trouble falling asleep at night, but the wake up is jolting and quite exhausting.
|

replied October 21st, 2009
i just woke up at 5am with anxiety and nervousness. i take my pulse and often which is common with this disorder. i do try deep breathing and jsut ride it out. Sometimes i try to meditate listening to meditation music so i can calm down and not escalate symptoms. don't fight being awake, just accept it. I also have clonazepam when nothing else works.
|

replied October 23rd, 2009
Morning Clouds
I find that if a lay out as much as possible the night b4,cloths,coffee,list of what i plan to do tht day helps me to get through the morning "cloud",also to have something lite/positive to read in the morning...Hope that helps
|

replied November 6th, 2012
My feelings of anxiety started very about a month ago. It didn't really feel right to ignore it anymore...I'm going to try your suggestion!
|

replied November 10th, 2009
Hey, I have this same problem. It's terrible. I can no longer lay in bed and just relax anymore. My stomach hurts like crazy sometimes and forces me to get up. It's hard for me to get a decent night of sleep these days because my mind just won't let me. I didn't know that other people felt the same way.
|

replied November 14th, 2009
i used to be able to sleep in decently late, till around 11, or 12 in the afternoon. but recently i wake up everyday at 8 in the morning with the worst upset stomach that literally forces me to get up out of bed and go to the bathroom. it wont let me fall back asleep but once im up, im totally fine and it goes away.
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
anxiety in the morning.
I also got off an antidepressant about 4 months ago. I went off of the med slowly. I have anxiety, and a pit in my stomache everying morning for no reason. After a little while, I'll have to go to the bathroom. I wonder if there is a dumping of chemical in the stomache first thing in the am. I thought I read that cortisol is high in the am. It is difficult to get back to sleep in the morning. Eating will sometimes help. I'm trying Relora to see if it helps, but I'm really not sure yet. Alot of supplements tend to cause more feeling of anxiety in me. I have had OCD for 5 years, ever since I have had children. I have had 4 children, 2-3 years apart and have nursed them each about 1 year. I think I am nutritionally depleted. I've tried vitamins but to no avail.
|

replied August 9th, 2012
Diet plays a major role in anxiety. Not knowing why I felt nervous every morning was the real issue. If I go beyond 3 hours without a food high in protein, I can count on being nervous, doesn't matter what time of day. What I haven't learned is, how to balance the protein in the evening so that it carries me through the night. I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia and am told, anxiety is high on the list of symptoms for that problem. Something to think about!
|

replied August 9th, 2012
Something else to think about! I believe in 'cause and effect' and anxiety is an effect! Work more on learning what causes the anxiety and treat the cause. Treating symptoms will mask the problem and delay finding a way to resolve the issue with anxiety. Make sense?
|

replied May 8th, 2010
Wow, it is good to see other people have the same issue. I started feeling this way about a year ago while going through a very trauma filled week. Granted, I was digging up and discussing childhood sex abuse to testify in court 15 years after the events, but my concern is that a year later..I am still having the same issues. It comes and goes, but usually lasts every morning for a few weeks. It is a terrible feeling though. When you wake up feeling nervous, it is hard to want to get up to go to work or anything. The other huge problem I have is that no matter how long I have slept, when I wake up nervous, I feel exhausted. Like the other posts, once I get up and get ready I am usually ok.

I now take Ativan, but it seems so terrible to be taking right when I wake up. As if I need something to make me sleepy first thing in the morning, but I think it is even more of a placebo effect...just taking the pill on those days seems to calm me down fairly quickly.
|

replied May 8th, 2010
Id say 50 % of the same feeling every morning, you just gotta go out and take on the world !
|

replied August 29th, 2010
i just want it to go away. im scared to go to sleep because when i wake up my stomach does loops and i hate it. i want help. i want it to go away. i feel alone. when i say i feel depressed to my dad or mum they just roll theyre eyes or giggle and say im too young. help me please.
|

replied May 9th, 2011
Reg: Anxiety among young people
You're not alone.. I have felt exactly the same.. I'm worried to go to bed just because I know how I'll feel in the morning. Taking control of your mind is really key. I've decided that things like this have to be conquered from within to really kick it to the curb. just KNOW you are not alone.. there are thousands like you out there, and there is always a reason that makes us feel like this. something subconconcious that we can't quite put a finger on, but it's there.... and it's legitimate!
You can;t expect your parents to understand, the same way mine didn't. It's not to say I dont still feel like that often, but I've started meditating.. like really trying to let go of it all, body included and just focus your mind on a beautiful calm scene... maybe just you sitting alone at the beach with a huge smile on your face. once you start feeling a bit calmer you can start to introspect a bit, I got a lot of answers through introspection and now im trying to solve them. i know it's a long road but the kind of strength one feels after being able to understand and help yourself is something else. and i know we can do it! hang in there, dont let people tell you you're too young and dismiss you, but accept they have other problems you wont get and call it quits.
since you're so young, i'm 22.. we have our whole lives ahead of us and cant afford to feel like this. you WILL be better, it's just a phase and everything is transitory. mark my words the cloud will lift.
Make light of a situation... Life isn't as serious as we've come to believe
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2011
No Ginger, what your feeling is very real - to you. Often family members and friends don't understand, because they do not know what it feels like to have such issues. Also, it is not uncommon to feel alone when feeling depressed, anxious, and scared of "nothing". I lived with it for a number of years - but, I learned to overcome those mental issues by acknowledging there existence and talking it out with those who understand. Writing your feelings in a forum like this is a good move. The next time you share your fear or anxious feelings - follow up with why you are thankful for something good. In other words, "I woke up scared again this morning, but at least I am thankful it went away." Being thankful helped me move farther and farther away from the fear. I hope this helped. Remember, you are most certainly not alone.
|

replied December 26th, 2011
seek a doctor...friends and parents are not professionals and stay with doc orders...may take several different medications.
|

replied September 23rd, 2010
Hope you have talked to someone else gingerpips. It's nothing to be laughed at no matter what your age. Not sure where you are but in Oz we have organisations like Beyond Blue and Lifeline. Even people like Good Samaritans or your local church could help you. I think you know the type or organisations I mean. Please don't feel embarrassed, there are a lot of young people in the same boat and you can do something about it.
|

replied October 20th, 2010
anxiety in the morning.
I feel the same way. I am awakened between 4- 6 a.m. everyday by this feeling, cant explain it - just a feeling of being scared, helplessness. Cant get to sleep after that. Just lie in bed.
I have tried getting off and trying to do something useful - work or read technical documentation, but that leaves be sapped all day long.

I dont want to take medication as I dont want to be dependent on it.

Is there a solution for this? I know it is all in the mind, so some mental exercises that will help
|

replied November 13th, 2010
Anxiety upon waking
I started taking St. Johns Wort about a month ago. I don't know if that has something to do with the fact that for the past few days I feel serious anxiety as soon as I open my eyes in the morning.
|

replied December 2nd, 2010
Anxiety every morning
I've felt this way as long as I can remember. I've never been on any medication, but I've often wondered if I should be. I wake up every morning with anxiety and butterflies like it's the first day of school. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it lingers. I tend to have the same issue throughout the day about stupid things that shouldn't bother me. It's so frustrating. I'm sorry to hear so many others have this issue as well, but glad to know I'm not the only one.
|

replied January 21st, 2011
scared feeling and anxious
Last Friday i came home from work sick, and it lasted all weekend and finally was able to return to work on Wednesday, but still felt really bad, since then i have been having this scared anxious feeling in the morning, and have to make myself go to work, once im there i start feeling better.. I just seem to want to stay home where i feel safe.
|