Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Blocked Nose After Swimming - Help (Page 1)

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
Each time I leave the pool I start sneezing. Four or five hours later my nose is completely blocked and starts running like a tap. After a night of disturbed sleep - it's gone! Have been swimming 5-7 times a week for years and for 3 years at the same pool. It started about three weeks ago. I must swim for 30-60 mins most days (won't bore you with the reason). Has anyone any ideas to stop this? :roll:
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper DHr
|

replied November 11th, 2005
Blocked Sinuses After Swimming
I've been swimming on and off for 20 odd years. Recently after recovering from a cold I returned to the pool and have been suffering from the exact same symptoms ever since. I'm desparate and am currently trying to get the bottom of it. I'd appreciate any results you find and of course i'll do the same.
|

Blocked Nose After Swimming
Mmmh - well i've solved it - bought a nose clip!! Don't like using it but it has resolved the problem. Thought I might try another swimming pool but the thought of the same thing happening put me off. It must be some intolerance to chemicals in the water. Why do they keep "secret" the water analyses they do? I'm trying to get a look at them. Will keep you informed if find anything. Good luck - (buy yourself a nose clip, not very fetching but ...)
b
|

replied August 24th, 2011
I am a keen swimmer and have experienced exactly the same symptoms - blocked up nose so bad that it didn't even clear up between swims. I had it down as a chlorine allergy until I started swimming open water and the problem got worse! The answer to this problem, which I have found after having tried decongestent sprays, paracetamol, etc is to wear a nose clip. Having reached that conclusion however the problem is then finding one that will stay on during the swim without it having been a complete pain and falling off every length or so. Having tried pretty much all of the most commonly available nose clips (speedo, zogs, etc etc) I have found that the only clip that actually works is the Smileys Nose Clip. Serously, this is not supposed to be an advert, but every other clip I have tried comes off at least once or twice per swim, but I have owned a Smileys now for a month (swimming 4-5 times per week including 3km open water racing) and it has not fallen off even once. In my opinion, if you are suffering from a blocked nose after swimming, you need look no further for an effective, hassle free solution than a Smileys nose clip. Take it from someone who has tried just about everything and is now confident that this is a problem of the past!
|

replied January 7th, 2012
Tried the Smileys nose clip with no success!
Felt like I was suffocating!
Took all of the joy out of swimming!
Back to swimming for an hour then sneezing and being congested for a few days! Will follow with an ENT.
|

Blocked Sinuses After Swimming
Well it was going to be the last resort but i'll give it a go. Thanks for the reply.
D.
|

replied September 28th, 2006
Re: Blocked Nose After Swimming - Help
bebeleke wrote:
each time I leave the pool I start sneezing. Four or five hours later my nose is completely blocked and starts running like a tap. After a night of disturbed sleep - it's gone! Have been swimming 5-7 times a week for years and for 3 years at the same pool. It started about three weeks ago. I must swim for 30-60 mins most days (won't bore you with the reason). Has anyone any ideas to stop this? Rolling Eyes

i have the exact same problem. Have you found out why or if there is a solution or treatment? Shargo
|

replied October 8th, 2006
Re: Blocked Nose After Swimming - Help
bebeleke wrote:
each time I leave the pool I start sneezing.

it sounds like a classic allergy to chlorine. If you started swimming at a new pool, they may use more than you are used to. Many people react to chlorine-- it is very toxic. I personally cannot stand chlorine and swim in oceans and lakes only.

Try swimming in natural water and see if you get this reaction. I have a feeling you will not-- and if you do not-- you will have your answer.

What is so silly is that there are other ways to clean water without chlorine.

If you search Dr. Weil's website, he talks about those alternatives.
|

replied May 27th, 2009
I have the same issue and like you, it only started recently. It was so completely blocked that I had to go to the chemist and buy a decongestant spray, which works rather well, but I'm somewhat wary about prolonged use of it (it advises against using it for too long on the bottle- I don't know what damage it does. Now, after swimming I have a steamy spa and try to inhale a lot through my nose and use Fess, which is only saline solution, to flush out my sinuses - it's made it slightly better. Out of interest I currently swim in a chlorine pool, but found the sneezing issue was worse when I swam for a while at a salt pool - though I didn't get the blockage thing happening then. Hopefully there'll be some better answers and we can fix it.
|

replied December 18th, 2009
I get the exact same symptoms after swim practice every night-excessive sneezing (we counted 40 times in an hour one time) and a stuffy/runny nose. I've noticed its worst on the first days of the week (monday and tuesday) since I usually haven't swam for 2-3 days over the weekend and gets better as the week goes on (only to start up again mon.) I would try a nose plug except that all the other swimmers would make fun of me (shallow I know, but I am in high school)... any other ideas?
|

replied June 16th, 2010
Allergy symptons after swimming
I had the same symptons i.e. blocked/runny nose and sneezing for about 24 hours after each swim.

I tried everything, but after years of trying finally resolved the issue by using s scuba mask that has the nose sealed from water. I may look silly, but am able to swim two or three times a day with none of those nasty side effects!
|

replied June 20th, 2010
It must be some intolerance to chemicals in the water. Why do they keep "secret" the water analyses they do? I'm trying to get a look at them. Will keep you informed if find anything.

I have the same thing, I'm also a lifeguard so can tell you that the pool water tests test for pH and chlorine levels at least 5 times a day, calcium once a week and water hardness once a month. I'm pretty sure it's the chlorine that's affecting me as it only get it after swimming at particular pools. After much 'googleing' I've found that it's an intolerance to chlorine rather than an allergy (allergies to chlorine result in rashes on the skin). hope this helps!
|

replied July 4th, 2010
hey i have these same symtems but im swimming in lakes and rivers. different ones to. it has happend like almost everytime after swimming. i dont know if it happens in a pool or not i havent tryed but this really sucks. keeps me up at night. also an itch on the roof of my mouth in the back i get to.... help mee33ee!!!!
|

replied July 11th, 2010
running nose
I "googled" for this because it became unpleasant for me too. I don't have my nose blocked but it's running continuesly. In this cases I have put a little of salt water in my nose and it stopped. I's very unpleasant but....it's working for me. I want to find a better way for dealing with this disconfourt. My nose it's acheing for one minute and my eyes became injected. I look like Jesus Crist immolate for the sport.
|

replied July 23rd, 2010
Chlorine intolerance
This has happened to me too. No problems whilst doing normal swimming routine then I got a bad cold early this year. After this I was training for a 5km swim and found that after leaving the pool I got a terrible runny nose and sneezing going on for at least 12 hours. Kept on going with this until I think I actually made myself ill. Now even a short swim makes me feel bad. My regular swim has been such a good thing for me over the last 9 years so I really miss it.
|

replied August 25th, 2010
I too have experienced similar symptoms and it's really annoying, because the night after my swim I can't sleep. I also get head cold symptoms for 24 hours after - it only started a couple of weeks ago. I am going to ask the gym I go to, whether they have changed anything in the pool. Thanks for the nose clip tip - I'll give that a go too. It's nice to hear I'm not the only person suffering and this seems to be a common issue.
|

replied August 31st, 2010
love swimming/hate being miserable after
Same issue here and I'm so glad to read I'm not alone. (though that is not necessarily comforting to the rest of you suffering out there!) I swam a week and a half ago for the first time in a few months and was absolutely miserable afterwards for about a 2 days. (sneezing, SUPER runny nose, stuffy nose, could not sleep; just miserable.)
I tried it again this last Saturday with the same result. I am ready to throw in the towel with swimming (pardon the pun) because I feel so miserable, but I was so glad to start swimming a bit more regularly again. I will try the nose clip and see if that helps.
|

replied October 20th, 2010
I too am having the same symptoms and was good to read that I'm not alone..... I will try a nose clip as I'm training fir half ironman and need to swim lots! I'm finding it's getting worse each time I go.. I started taking hayfever tablets and this worked short term but now longer works!!
|

replied November 2nd, 2010
I also have the same issues - it doesn't matter if i'm swimming in salt water pools, chlorine pools, or in a lake - i get terrible allergies for 2 -3 days afterwards.

i've tried sinus rinses, nasal steroids, antihistamines - still no luck.

anyone know what is causing this...am i allergic to swimming? or water? honestly...
|

I also have the same issues - it doesn't matter if i'm swimming in salt water pools, chlorine pools, or in a lake - i get terrible allergies for 2 -3 days afterwards.

i've tried sinus rinses, nasal steroids, antihistamines - still no luck.

anyone know what is causing this...am i allergic to swimming? or water? honestly...
|

replied July 18th, 2011
swimming and nasal issues
I have the exact same problem i swim in lakes and pools and have the same result I wonder has anyone maybe thought the cause might be a nose spray previosly used I wonder if it could be a cause because I have never used nose spray before until my wife had some and I used it when I had a cold and ever sense I remember using that I have had this problem I dont remember having the problem before that any body have anything other than a nose clip would be mutch appreciated
|

replied July 18th, 2011
swimming and nasal issues
I have the exact same problem i swim in lakes and pools and have the same result I wonder has anyone maybe thought the cause might be a nose spray previosly used I wonder if it could be a cause because I have never used nose spray before until my wife had some and I used it when I had a cold and ever sense I remember using that I have had this problem I dont remember having the problem before that any body have anything other than a nose clip would be mutch appreciated
|

nasal irritation after swimming
Using nasal strips does help with the blocked nose and I get to sleep properly after a swim. Applying Vaseline into nostrils before the swim some times helps as well.
|

replied November 3rd, 2010
Chlorine intolerance
I had no idea this was such a common problem!Lately it doesn't even clear up between swims. Have decided to try vaseline up the nose, continue with anti-histamine pills and dig out goggles, however uncomfortable I find them.
|
12 >>