Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Swelling- 5 Wks Post Hysterectomy (Page 1)

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
Has anyone had pain-pinching/burning type when I am walking or standing.I am 5 wks post abdominal hysterectomy-and my right hand side-near my hip has this pain and swelling when I put pressure on my feet.
My abdomen is still slightly swollen from the op but more so on the right hand side-doctor says its pockets of fluid under the scar?Since then the pain is worse. Surely I should be more mobile now that walking shouldnt affect me.
Any advice would be grateful.
Thanx.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Icre8art
|

replied November 25th, 2005
I am doing ok 5 weeks post op. I am definitely more comfortable walking than sitting. I still have burning sensations on either side of my abdomin but don't know why. It's mostly after I have been trying to do some normal things like cooking but I do nothing strenuous like vacuuming, etc.
|

replied April 9th, 2011
I am 2 weeks post op and since I woke from my surgery I have had a horrible burning pain on the right side around 5-6 inches from my hip bone. I have asked the doctors and the nurses at the hospital where my hysterectomy was performed and they said they have no idea of why I am experiencing this pain. I just had a visit with the surgeon this week and asked him and I got the same answer as well. The only thing they think it is maybe from the stomach muscle that was cut during the surgery. Does anyone really understand what this is from? Not even my pain medication is easing the pain and it is constantly there.
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2011
Hi Sandy66, I am just about 4 weeks post op, I have the burning pain as you and The doc is saying it is "Normal" I don't think this pain can be normal, I take pain meds and it just doesn't go away, I had 4 "c" sections and so now I was cut 5 times in the same area. I never had any of this pain when I had my c sections. I am hoping to get to the bottem of this problem,
|

replied May 4th, 2011
Hi Sindy33, I have been asking around to everyone I know and so far everyone is saying that this burning pain is due to the muscle they cut during the surgery. Yet you mentioned that you had 4 "C" sections and didn't go through this before. I was told that the hysterectomy was done with the same incision as a "C" section so I have no idea...I am almost at the 6 week mark and the surgeon is still asking me if I want more pain meds. I simple said no thanks since the ones already given to me were of no help what so ever so why bother putting more stuff into my system...I am finally getting some relief from the burning though thank goodness as the weeks are passing by it is getting either better or else my body has been putting up with the pain and got used to it.......
|

replied October 31st, 2011
Post Hysterectomy symptoms
Hi, my name is Maria, I am 46 and had my uterus and cervix removed. I had 3 c-sec, with the hysterectomy, this is the 4th incision. I also am experiencing alot of the similiar symptoms. The pinching/burning, soar and numbing feeling. It especially gets worse if i try to do housework and driving. I do believe that with time these symptons will start easing away. I too, didn't go through this with the c-sections, can't understand why, since they both require cutting all the way through into your body. I believe walking is the best way to start getting back into the norm, the beginning is hard, but we must do it.
|

replied November 4th, 2011
hi maria: i am 3 weeks post op hysterectomy (davinci robotic surgery) my top right incision has been brutally sore since day 1,and last sunday i started feeling very stiff on that side and now last night i started with the burning. and yes, it gets worse when i am driving. driving seems to put a strain on the side especially when making a turn. i am sitting here at work now and it feels like i have a sunburn inside of me to the right top of the bellybutton. i am hearing this is all normal, and it is the muscle that is cut. i also feel tingles liek teh nerves are regenerating. (but they do not hurt like this burning does)
|

replied November 10th, 2011
dear maria, had the same surgery as you with the same robotic instrument. My pain has been left lower quadrant pain like someone is stabbing me with an ice pick. that has started to subside but now having the burning sensation in left groin area around to back of thigh. It tingles and burns. Doc just says "normal, you're fine and healing." I am so bummed. I am sure you will be feeling better in a few more weeks. go slow.
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2011
Hi Sandy66, I am just about 4 weeks post op, I have the burning pain as you and The doc is saying it is "Normal" I don't think this pain can be normal, I take pain meds and it just doesn't go away, I had 4 "c" sections and so now I was cut 5 times in the same area. I never had any of this pain when I had my c sections. I am hoping to get to the bottem of this problem,
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
Hi Sandy,
3 week post-op from almost total hyst- left one ovary. had four c-sections, thus five cuts. Currently taking only motrin for pain- are you feeling better?
have you recovered? i am trying not to do to much so i don't need pain meds- how are you
|

replied August 3rd, 2011
3 weeks post op total hysterectomy
I am 3 weeks post op and i went back to work on monday, today is my third day back. I also have the burning pain more on left side and middle of my stomache. I had a total hysterectomy. I sit all day at my job, but i am working only 5-6 hours a day as opposed to 8-9 hours a day. It is still pretty sore, and my left side is more swollen than my right side. I make sure to stand up and walk around a little bit every 45 mins. it hepls. i also take a motrin 600 in the morning before i leave for work to reduce the swelling. I do think that keeping active no matter how little it is, hels alot with recovery. it keeps your body moving and functioning as normal as you could expect it to.
|

yes, i am 3 weeks post op hsyrterectomy and last night started with the burning towards the right top incision and towards the belly buttonright below. i am hearing this is normal. and it is worse driving
|

yes, i am 3 weeks post op hysterectomy and last night started with the burning towards the right top incision and towards the belly buttonright below. i am hearing this is normal. and it is worse when driving
|

replied March 22nd, 2012
I know how you feel. It has been 2wks since my surgery. My lower left side of my stomach feels like someone is holding a lighter to my stomach. I have taken my meds and still no change . It really hurts while I'm sitting or lying down in bed. I can't seem to get any relief so I just get up.
|

replied May 29th, 2012
I am a week post-op and had the same pain. I thought it was my hernia playing up with all the extra gas in the stomach so i took gavilast and I also took a very strong medicine I got for a pinched nerve in my back a few months ago called celebrex and this really sorted it out. Thank goodness I haven't had it again because it was worse than the op.
|

replied August 8th, 2011
Ovaries tubes removed due to huge cysts 1 ruptured
Hi had my hysternomy 5 weeks ago and on my left side is bigger than then the right side dont know why oh and my body aches arms shoulders my neck and my legs cant sit too long I went to hosptial he said oh is probably fron your surgery even a massage doesnt work lol tired of it Oh forget to mention my right hand was swollen too
|

replied March 13th, 2012
oh yes i had one 3 wks ago and i have the same pinching and burning pain in my stomach too. Also after the first wk i had tingling in both my legs.i asked my doctor about this and he said that during the whole surgery your legs are up. The upper part of my leg are swollen at times. Some people say they went back to work after 2 wks so i thought i had something wrong going on since i still have these pains but he also told me some people take longer to heal. i had a very good doctor so i trust things will get better.
|

replied January 13th, 2006
Pain/pinching At Incision Site!
I, too, had this same type of pain. Mine was on the left side though! My doctor said it was most likely a pinched nerve. He gave me a shot of local anesthesia. That helped a little. I am only 2 1/2 weeks out of a laproscopic supercervical hysterectomy (uterus only). I am 31. I am a school teacher, and want this recovery to be over soon. I miss my students. I had planned to go back to school in two weeks, but I have a terrible, burning, pressure-type cramping which seems to originate on the left side. It's deeper than the incision site. It is very similar to that pressure you have when you're about 8 months pregnant and the baby's head is downward. Anyone ever had that? How long were most of you out of work?
|

6 wks. will be going back Monday Nov 7th. The only part i'm dreading is the soarness i feel around the belly button and around the incision under my tummy. I too feel that pressure, sometimes i think it's because i have to urninate, but the feeling is still there. The surgery started as laproscopic, but once they saw my uterus was pushed up onto my stomache they had to do abdomin surgery, so double whamee for me plus my uteris was stuck to my bladder and when they tried to separate it, my bladder tore. It hasn't been a good recovery, so much pain and discomfort. I am barely feeling somewhat normal except for the pinching/burning and numbing feeling and now itchy.
|

replied January 30th, 2006
Re: Swelling- 5 Wks Post Hysterectomy
Well I am 2 weeks out of surgery with a lsh, and I too am having sever pain and burning in my right side. I am thinking that it is because I am right handed so everything I have done would have been on my right side. What I don't get is last thursday and friday I was beginning to feel normal again. Pain was less and it states that as soon as you are comfortable you could prosume normal activities so my husband and I had sex. Now I am in a ton of pain but only on the right side. Please help was I also wrong??

tigsy wrote:
has anyone had pain-pinching/burning type when I am walking or standing.I am 5 wks post abdominal hysterectomy-and my right hand side-near my hip has this pain and swelling when I put pressure on my feet.

My abdomen is still slightly swollen from the op but more so on the right hand side-doctor says its pockets of fluid under the scar?Since then the pain is worse. Surely I should be more mobile now that walking shouldnt affect me.

Any advice would be grateful.

Thanx.
|

replied July 22nd, 2011
1 Week Post Op Pain Lower Right side
Hi I to am experiencing this pain on my lower right side its like a pinching sensation but once I start walking I no longer feel it. I just had a complete hysterectomy Monday July 18th. Fear walking upstairs but had no choice being that I live on the 3rd floor. But had no issues going up the stairs. The only issue is the pain lower right side and I start to stand up and after I am fully standing up. As anyone gotten a answer as to what this really it, it has to bee something being that there are a lot of girls feeling the same sensation.
|

replied September 28th, 2011
2 weeks post op Da Vinci Robotic Laproscopic total hysterectomy
I had a total hysterectomy via Da Vinci robotic laproscopic device and was told by my doctor ABSOLUTELY NO-thing in the vagina for at least 6 weeks. She also said that you may feel pretty good, but you just had major surgery so take it easy for about 6-8 weeks. I had a post op appointment 1 week after surgery and another one scheduled at 5 weeks. I am currently 13 days post op and have definately experienced the hip pain in both hips, but the right has been worse. My doctor said that they had me in a position with the legs in stirrups and the head lower than the heart for about 2.5 hours and that it is normal to have the hip and shoulder pain. She also said that the abdomen is filled with air during the procedure, then it is filled with water to displace the air on completion of the procedure. The air rises when you are sitting and causes additional neck and shoulder pain. The hip pain isn't as bad as it was the first week, but it hasn't gone away completely. Last night I developed consistan rt upper quadrant pain (right side under the ribs) and it hurts when I breathe. I have also been having terrible intestinal discomfort whenever anything is passing through the intestines. Taking Miralax and mineral oil to avoid formed stools. Hoping this subsides soon.
|

replied November 11th, 2011
Dear kumudini,

Had davinci robotic surgery also 2 1/2 month ago. At first I really had the hip and back pain along with pain under my rib cage. That finally subsided in a few weeks. Now I'm face with burning sensation in left groin radiating down thigh and going around leg. Surgeon just blew me off and said it was normal and to "quit focusing on my pain". Typical man. I told him when it hits a 9 or 10 on the pain scale it is sort of hard to not focus on it. He only looked at me. Someone tell me this will eventually quit. I don't want to wait 6 months for relief. Bless you all.
|

replied May 30th, 2012
Same symptoms post op hysterectomy
I'm 4 wks post op and have experienced the same symtoms as you, especially the abdominal discomfort with intestines. How did that all work out with you and how long did it last after your surgery?
Thanks!
|

replied December 18th, 2012
Hi i am 5 wks 3 days post op abdominal hysterectomy left my left ovary. Have the same burning, pulling pain etc. My gp has been brilliant and explained that its due to the dissilvable stitches as your body is trying to dissolve them thus causing inflammation n heat/burning. He advised me that it will take time to stop but will eventually, varies from person to person. Hope this helps
|

replied March 9th, 2006
to Baby Blue Or Anyone Who Has a Clue
I had a vaginal hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. I've had pain on my right side and my lower back. It has been a crippling pain and usually occurs at night. During the day I feel quite normal and therefore, I think I do to much. Tonight, my husband and I were playing around and he penetrated me. Did anything happen to you as a result of intercourse prior to the six week time? I feel so foolish and i'm ashamed to tell my doctor. Maybe, i'll wait until I have some signs that somethings wrong. What are your thoughts?
|

replied October 13th, 2007
Burning Pain Is....
My doctor told me it is where he attached the ligaments that he took off of the uterus and ovaries etc. Once is all heals up, we should be fine. Meanwhile, its a searing sharp burning pain at times,

My total abdominal hysterectomy was seven days ago.
I hope this helps.
|

replied July 22nd, 2011
Just had my 4 days ago, thank you for information. Did you have any problems with bowel action still wait here for the first expulsion eating the right food and nothing is happening except for lots of gas.
|

replied December 27th, 2011
thanks ... I think this explains some things.
|

replied April 30th, 2008
pain
I had a tvh 7 weeks ago and returned to my teaching job after 7 days. We had a field trip last week that resulted in several hours of hiking around the zoo and now....I am in some serious pain.

Getting back to work was tiring, but this is crazy!
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2008
Your not alone! I had my partial hysterectomy last November and I'm still in pain.
My suggestion is to get a CT Scan it will help your doctor see whats really going on. Not just one scan do it in 3 month cycles.

I'm having my tubes removed tomorrow hope this is the end of sharp piercing pain I've been having for months!

Take care all...my prayers are with you all! Wink
|

replied June 10th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I am 5 months post hyst and I still have some tenderness. It is getting better but it is a slow process. Mine was an abdominal full hyst with salpingo-oopherectomy. I still have some back pain and some abdominal pain. Sorry I'm not much help but it is definitely better than it was at 5weeks, or 8 weeks even.
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2008
Hope your pain goes away soon Aflsh.
My surgery this past friday went well.
My fallopian tubes were swelled to the size of sausages!
They were finally removed! Thank god!
The pain I'm feeling now is at least bearable in comparison to the pain I was feeling 6 months after my parcial hysterectomy.
I think we'll always have tenderness, it's the throbbing sharp pains that are really hard to handle.
|

replied June 10th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Thank you and I am glad your surgery went well. Good luck.
April
|

replied January 15th, 2009
Re: Burning Pain Is...
Icre8art wrote:
My doctor told me it is where he attached the ligaments that he took off of the uterus and ovaries etc. Once is all heals up, we should be fine. Meanwhile, its a searing sharp burning pain at times,

My total abdominal hysterectomy was seven days ago.
I hope this helps.

My burning pain has just started in the last day or two. i had my surgery 8 days ago. My doctor told me that it is part of the healing process. If you have ever gone in a tanning bed too long, that is what it feels like, there is more relief if you lay flat. nurse
|

replied February 7th, 2009
hysterectomy
to those women who have had a total hysterectomy i need some support dealing with this i had mine done 3wks ago and the pain is unbearable and the thoughts of how my life is going to be after the pain and swelling goes away, and it also let me see the spouse that i though was for me is'nt in a time of need.
|

replied January 16th, 2012
That is sad, I feel for you! You should not be doing anything at all for first several weeks! I had the opposite result, and my husband showed me how caring he is for my speedy and easy recovery...take care of yourself
|

replied April 22nd, 2009
hysterectomy
Hi ladylove44

I have just read your comment I was just wondering how you are now? I hope your ok. I had my op 2 weeks ago everything seems to be going ok so far.
|

replied June 2nd, 2009
People keep telling me that 6 weeks after a full Hysterectomy I should be gettig back to normal, well i'm not i'm now 4 weeks post op, i'm still swolen, sore, and walking long distances brings on alot of pressure down below, I'm also still gettin backache.
I know everyon heals diffrently, was just wanting some reassurance that i'm doin ok and its nothing out the ordinary?
|

replied July 23rd, 2011
I am 31/2 weeks post op and have the same symptoms. Still swollen in abdomen and especailly like you, feel a lot of pressure down low if I walk or am on my feet alot (like go shopping etc...) I also have a backache when I walk, stand or sit in a straight chair for any amount of time. My hands and feet swell alot too, along with my stomach which gets worse throughout the day. Do your hands and feet swell as well? I am on an estrogen patch, I didn't know if it was that or from the surgery.
|

replied November 11th, 2011
Dear Batty, don't know if we are normal, but I'm in the same boat with you. I am 2 1/2 month out from total robotic hysterectomy with lymph resection (uterine cancer) and bladder suspension operation. Felt like my 50,000 mile check up. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, things are getting better, but not as fast as they had told me. I still get some sharp pain in lower quadrant and now for about the last week burning in groin area and then throbbing on back of thigh. Surgeon said "just healing" and "quit focusing on pain." Told him if he had this pain he'd be focusing. I guess we are just slow healers, but we will get there! Lets hang in there together!
|

replied June 2nd, 2009
Community Volunteer
You are doing great...I had a full Hysterectomy and my Surgeon told me not to vacuum for 3 months...No sex for 6 weeks...Told me it would take months for all my inner organs to feel in place and near a full year to get back to normal...I would say that he gave me some good advice...

Like you say, everyone is different...The severity of our surgery is never alike...We can heal either fast or slow.....There is no time schedule on this....You are doing great...Get a lot of rest and honey, just let the rest of the world go by....

Take care,
Caroline
|

replied July 5th, 2009
i had my uterus n cervix removed on june 3, 09 i am 39yrs old never had a child and i was diagnosed with pre-cancer cells here i am going on my 5th week and i feel a horrible pain at the ends of my incision i told my doc she said it was normal my friend says i could be having a hernia i have done nothing since my surgery i pray and wish that my life will be normal soon but the way i feel i think this recovery will take a long long time im so tired of this..god pls give me more patience
|

replied July 5th, 2009
I had my total hysterectomy and 1 ovary removed April 29/09. I still feel the burning in my lower abdomen and I also have an open area that hasn't healed on my abdomen, 1/2 inch long. My total incision was 13 inches and I had lots of bleeding from the wound lasting days and days. Now the bleeding has stopped and some days I feel great and others I feel a lot of pain. I find I am still weak and can not move the way I use to. I just got back to work last week (I am a nurse) and it is painful trying to do simple things. I was told by my Doctor that the burning sensation and the pain can be the nerves. With a abdominal Hyst. some nerves can be damaged when cutting. I also have no feeling on the top portion of my upper thigh and until last week I could barely feel the lower part of my abdomen. I know that some of my pain on my right side is from where they stitched up my ovary to hold it in place (so it wouldn't be hanging down). I find when I move or stretch on that side it pulls causing a little pain. In response to others talking about having sex before 6 weeks, this can cause the sutures to tear and I wonder if you would be at risk for infection because if there is even a little open area that hasn't healed you could be introducing bacteria. Also like others I have been told it can take up to a year to feel normal again.

Thank-you to all the posts, I have learned a lot from these postings.
|
Users who thank mnp for this post: JavaMissus 

replied July 5th, 2009
Community Volunteer
tx wrote:
i had my uterus n cervix removed on june 3, 09 i am 39yrs old never had a child and i was diagnosed with pre-cancer cells here i am going on my 5th week and i feel a horrible pain at the ends of my incision i told my doc she said it was normal my friend says i could be having a hernia i have done nothing since my surgery i pray and wish that my life will be normal soon but the way i feel i think this recovery will take a long long time im so tired of this..god pls give me more patience

Honey, you are only one month out of surgery....You will hurt for a long time...I had this same operation plus my ovaries...Sometimes I felt like they gutted me...It just plain hurts...Continue to take it easy...Don't count each day as to how you feel, but each week....Your life will be normal but give it time...Nothing heavy...Don't lift anything...You will be just fine...Anytime you want to PM me feel free to do so...

Best wishes,
Caroline
|

replied July 5th, 2009
Community Volunteer
mnp wrote:
I had my total hysterectomy and 1 ovary removed April 29/09. I still feel the burning in my lower abdomen and I also have an open area that hasn't healed on my abdomen, 1/2 inch long. My total incision was 13 inches and I had lots of bleeding from the wound lasting days and days. Now the bleeding has stopped and some days I feel great and others I feel a lot of pain. I find I am still weak and can not move the way I use to. I just got back to work last week (I am a nurse) and it is painful trying to do simple things. I was told by my Doctor that the burning sensation and the pain can be the nerves. With a abdominal Hyst. some nerves can be damaged when cutting. I also have no feeling on the top portion of my upper thigh and until last week I could barely feel the lower part of my abdomen. I know that some of my pain on my right side is from where they stitched up my ovary to hold it in place (so it wouldn't be hanging down). I find when I move or stretch on that side it pulls causing a little pain. In response to others talking about having sex before 6 weeks, this can cause the sutures to tear and I wonder if you would be at risk for infection because if there is even a little open area that hasn't healed you could be introducing bacteria. Also like others I have been told it can take up to a year to feel normal again.

Thank-you to all the posts, I have learned a lot from these postings.

I also had the total Hysterectomy and both ovaries removed...Cut from navel to crack at hairline...Sore...You have no idea...Took me a long time to heal ...Plus took me months to really feel great...When my husband had a hip replacement it took 3 months for all his stitches to heal...So I know what you mean...Take it easy...No heavy lifting...I was not to vacuum for 3 months...Like this broke my heart.. Very Happy ..My left thigh is still numb and has been like this all this time...Must be some nerves that they severed...

Now take it easy and don't over exert yourself...

Take care,
Caroline
|

replied September 25th, 2011
Full Abdominal Hysterectomy 4 week Post OP
Hi Caroline, I am 4 weeks post op of a full abdominal hysterectomy. I was in plenty of pain and 1 week out of the hospital i got an infection. That was surely a setback , like i had to start all over again with chasing the pain. Now @ 4 weeks I have back pain, belly pain and pain in the front of my legs. As I rub my stomach it is still numb. At what week were you able to go back to work?
|