Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Tingling In Face

Is a tingling sensation in the face common with tmj?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ephillips413
|

replied December 28th, 2005
I was wondering this too. For the past week everytime I yawn I get almost like pins and needles just on the right side of my face near my chin. Its now starting to do it even when im not yawning.
|

replied December 28th, 2005
Supporter
Yes, tingling in the face can be associated with tmj. It is downright amazing and aggravating what those silly little tmj joints and discs can do to the human body. It has to do with how close all the nerves and blood vessels/arteries are in our face. And don't even ask how much the muscles all have to work together perfectly or ouch, pain.

Amber, I noticed another posting from you and saw that you currently have the tmj under control. I try to tell people that it can be controlled with bite splints and a few other helpful suggests, but many don't have the patience and want a quickie fix or a miracle. Usually a fix such as yours can only happen if the problem is caught relatively early and no or little damage has been done to the joint and surrounding area.

But even then, it still has the possibility to heal enough that the pain can be a somewhat controlled. I'm an example of that. After pain for 20 years, the right combination - prozac, no-stress job, liquid diet, bite splint - allowed the pain to go completely away for two years.

But i'm finding that people want quick fixes or feel they have to have surgery (like a knee) to be fixed. Sadly, all tmj surgeries have such a low success rate that I would never do that to my body unless I basically had no more joint (which I do know a few people as such).

I got on my bandstand a little too much there, sorry. I mean to say about the tingling that you will have odd thinks happen (stuffy or itchy ears, etc.)and you'll wonder if something is wrong or is it the tmj. In most cases, it will be the tmj causing the effect. If you ask your family doctor what is wrong with you, if they aren't familiar with tmj, they may run expensive tests on you and find nothing wrong. Believe me, I am used to that.

So, if it doesn't hurt and it's not too aggravating, in most cases you can just add that to your tmj symptoms and enjoy your life. Good question to ask on these forums though, so don't ever hesitate to ask any questions no matter what it is.
|

replied August 13th, 2007
Re: Numbness/tingling In Face
I noticed that TMJ can cause the numbness or tingling feeling in your face. This has been going on with me for 3 years now. I had a CAT scan and everything was normal. Can TMJ cause the numbness to last that long? It is only in the right side of my face, kind of around my sinus cavity...under my eye, around my cheek, and in the roof of my mouth on the right side only.
|

replied August 14th, 2007
Supporter
Wendy,
I think you should have the numbness checked out by your doctor. Did you have any surgery or dental work that might have affected the nerves in the area?

I used to have face tingling and pain all the time, and some numbness, but I now take Lyrica which has helped the pain tremendously. I can still feel a few spots that are numb and tingling does occur, but not as much.

Massage therapy by a good MT can do wonders. Intra-oral massage is also great but make sure that the MT has been trained to do so and I usually recommend that the massage inside the mouth be just for a short time.

God bless...
Carol
|

User Profile
replied August 15th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
i get this all the time. its not as bad now because of all the treatments ive had.
|

replied August 16th, 2007
Mine is constant. It never goes away. Sometimes I don't notice it as much as others, but its always there.
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Well...
what kind of doctors have you seen and what treatments have you had?
|

replied August 27th, 2007
Re: Well...
At first I saw a couple of different doctors, but I was pregnant at the time that it started and I could not have any tests ran. After that, I just kind of dealt with it, which I know was stupid.
|

replied September 5th, 2007
Yes this is definitely a symptom. I used to have it all the time, now only once in a while. Sometimes its worse than having a constant pain because you never know when its going to kick in and it can do some weird things to you, I've almost felt like I was going to pass out before from this feeling. I hope you can get the help you need for it.
|

replied September 5th, 2007
As far as dealing with doctors, you should keep going to different doctors until at least one of them gives you a diagnosis of TMJ, it seems like some doctors don't know much about it, I've been to a number of doctors, including two different ENTs and one of them seemed to have the attitude that if you don't have a major problem then this wasn't his area to be dealing with, he worked in a complex that is part of a hospital so I wonder if this had something to do with it (I figure he probably sees people with life threatening illnesses so to him maybe TMJ is just something to send off to a physical therapist or some other doctor). The other one had his own practice and seemed to deal with TMJ a lot more often and gave me the advice to see an oral surgeon about possibly getting cortisone injections.

Hopefully you have insurance that can help cover the costs of the appointments as they are incredibly expensive for how little time they spend with you, just keep trying, there's no reason to give up and settle with living with TMJ.
|

replied May 5th, 2008
Tingling in Face
I have the tingling all over my face. Recently my doctor put me on Lyrica and it has really calmed the tingling down.

Beth
|

replied November 27th, 2010
tingling and TMJ
Hi, Stephan from Belgium here.

Sure, tingling in the face and back (or side) of the head, is a TMJ symptome. I might be considered better than having pain..although it is a strange feeling that would worry you having some kind of tumor.
Try to live calmer and not to think about it all the time, it might get worse then.
Also the big muscle starting behind your ear and ending at yuor chest (steriod?) is a cause of tingling. You can stretch this muscle by putting your fingers (or a ball) beside it, and turn your head in the opposite direction. It feels great! (sorry, but my English writing is not so good..) God luck to you all!
|

replied May 1st, 2012
Tinling and Numbness on rightside of face
I have tingling, and Numbness that comes on that comes on at different situations. It comes on when I chew, when I bend over, if I shake my head, if I exercise OMG I cant even tell if I am breathing its soo bad. It starts oright side of my tongue, and travels to my face, chin, down my throat, up to my eye. I dont get what it is I went to ER they did EKG, and Cat Scan and everything came out normal. What type of doctor do you recommend me see for this? I do have 3 wisdom teeth impacted-one has broken thru the gum in the past year.
|

replied May 1st, 2012
Tinling and Numbness on rightside of face
I have tingling, and Numbness that comes on that comes on at different situations. It comes on when I chew, when I bend over, if I shake my head, if I exercise OMG I cant even tell if I am breathing its soo bad. It starts oright side of my tongue, and travels to my face, chin, down my throat, up to my eye. I dont get what it is I went to ER they did EKG, and Cat Scan and everything came out normal. What type of doctor do you recommend me see for this? I do have 3 wisdom teeth impacted-one has broken thru the gum in the past year.
|

replied May 15th, 2012
Did anyone have this go away with splint therapy? I'm almost 7 weeks into an NM splint and not getting much results. I have constant severe muscle pain with some nerve pain over it on my left side.

Neurolgist thinks atypical facial pain or trigenminal neuralgia, but if lots of people have this type of pain with TMJ there must be a connection.

Does anyone get better? How long did it take?
|

replied May 23rd, 2012
I have heard of several TMJ sufferers have tingling in the face that wore good TMJ splints, but the tingling did not go away.

So, I think that TMJ and tingling in the face are caused by a similar factor...I don't think muscle relaxation by wearing splints will cure the tingling.

So, look for treating the stress and the chemicals that stress causes to be secreted.
|

replied May 27th, 2012
I went to the ER last summer cause my left side from my nose to my ear was all tingly, they had NO idea what it was from. After looking on the net I found alot of people get the tingling. Doctors are useless for the most part. lol
|

replied August 13th, 2012
TMJ?
i noticed ive been clenching my jaws alot lately and previously my tongue had gotten really sensitive and pain and lately ive been getting tingling sensation in my mouth , is this TMJ? im so worried about whats going on..
|

replied September 19th, 2012
Tmj Weird tingling and pain
I i have TMJ and ive Been Getting like a tight tingly feeling on the left side of my face that extends onto my scalp making it feel almost like a dull ache. I also have fibromyalgia so weird crap happens to me everyday. I have been taking ativan when it flares up as i am unable to see my doc till oct 4th. I must admit its a very frightening experience and it does get worse at work when i am stressed or when it is raining.
|

replied May 8th, 2014
I get tingling, decreased sensation, numbness right below my eyes. It can be anywhere from right up near the eyes, to in the middle of the cheek below the eye to the upper lip or tip of the nose, but normally right in the middle.

Occasionally it may burn a little, but rarely. I've had TMJ like issues for a long time. I've looked up this area of the face and the maxillary branch of the trigeminal nerve serves this area, so it could be that.

I mostly just have chronic temple pain on both sides, neck pain and masseter pain on the right side when I press into it.

When I chew the back of my neck/head hurts.

I can open my jaw very wide and may not have "true" TMJ. Some people say that elongating the teeth and moving the jaw is not the solution, but rather removing trigger points in the neck and back muscles.

When I move my jaw side to side in a quick tapping motion or some other motions I can sometimes cause the numbness sensation.
|
Quick Reply