Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Gout And Broccoli

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
Hi there,
does anyone know why broccoli triggers gout? If you look at some diets, they actually call it a cure! But it just brings it on! I was hoping someone could tell me why. :? :!:
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper JYY2
|

replied December 10th, 2005
Experienced User
How much you have to eat broccoli to trigger gout attacks? What else you ate with it?

Broccoli is higher than most vegetables in uric acid (ua) content. But as compared with meat and seafood, it's rather small. I haven't seen a study that shows broccoli can actually triggers gout. Uric acid (ua) content of some foods per 100 grams are: broccoli-80 mg; tuna-260, sardines in oil-480; liver (beef)-550; beef-130; chicken-120, pork-140; apple-15, banana-60, broccoli-80, spinach-60, kale-50, asparagus-25, cabbage 22, potato-16, lettuce-13, tomato-11, cherry (sweet)-7, bread-14; beer-8~13.

There are other food and drink that contains no ua but can raise the blood ua level and trigger gout, e.G., alcohol, fructose, acidic foods and drinks, etc.
|

replied November 4th, 2006
Uric Acid Content of Foods
Hi! Where did you get the uric acid content figures? My boyfriend has elevated uric acid and i'd like to help him and get him this info. Thanks for your help!
|

replied November 4th, 2006
Experienced User
Uric acid content and ph of foods and drinks are available in section 4 of http://www.Icuredmygout.Org.
|

replied July 30th, 2009
I just started a high intake of theramic vegetables trying to loose weight. I have also just recently been diagnosed with gout. I have been doing well with little or no symptoms of gout until I began eating the broccoli. My family physician said that "old fashioned" veggies would cause an attack. Can anyone tell me what veggies these are? The diet that I chose consist of okra, cauliflower, beets, all the "older foods" is this why sudden gout attack?
|

replied March 18th, 2010
Remedy for Gout
So far the only proven natural remedy is Cherry fruits.

Even I tried with so many vegetables and fruits but vain.
|

replied March 18th, 2010
Flax seed powder can prevent the gout attack some extent, but as I mentioned earlier, only proven natural remedy is Cherry. But unfortunately we can get Cherry in the market only at the !**@! end of April in India.

Is there any other country , Cherry fruit available now in March ?
|

replied September 18th, 2011
dont know what to eat to avoid gout
what else can we to avoid attack of gout
|

replied March 11th, 2012
i use dried cherry fruits, which are available year round. also good is bottled cherry juice, which i find in the larger grocery stores. Both are available year round. when fresh cherries are available, i get them and love them, but alas, they are only available a couple of months each year.
|

replied July 13th, 2012
Gout Treatment - Try Celery
A friend of mine says that celery provides more relief for her mother who suffers from gout than cherries. I don't suffer from gout, but my husband does, and I have been unsuccessful in trying to get him to eat lots of celery when he has gout issues, but my friend swears that it works as well if not better.
|

replied July 13th, 2012
Gout Treatment - Try Celery
A friend of mine says that celery provides more relief for her mother who suffers from gout than cherries. I don't suffer from gout, but my husband does, and I have been unsuccessful in trying to get him to eat lots of celery when he has gout issues, but my friend swears that it works as well if not better.
|

replied November 23rd, 2012
Deep Vein Thrombosis
should you avoid eating broccoli when suffering with
deep vein thrombosis.
|
Tags: triggers, diets
Quick Reply