Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Hysterctomy - Swelly Belly 3 Months Post-op (Page 1)

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
I had a complete hysterectomy on july 22 of this year. After a slight complication (torn bladder) my recovery went well. My question is why do I still have a swollen belly. I have been working out 3 times a week and know that I am toning up but this belly is depressing me. Is this normal? How long will it last?

Thank you
eileen
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sharon48
|

replied October 19th, 2005
Hiya
sorry this isnt any help to your question but can I ask you -did you or what symptoms did you have when you had a torn bladder-im 4 wks post hyst-i have alot of swelling on my belly and my scar I certain areas are pinching.Also when I empty my bladder it hurts and have a feeling of heaviness. I have no water infection.I hope my belly goes down.I seemed to have lost alot of weight elsewhere but there.!!
|

replied November 2nd, 2005
Belly
I had a radical hyst. In early june. My weight gain is about ten pounds, and not just in my belly. Also, urinating is so frequent and sometimes painful. I guess I don't have any help to offer, but know that you are not alone. Let me know if it improves.
|

replied November 3rd, 2005
Torn Bladder
Dear tigsy,

my bladder was torn during my hysterectomy and I came home from the hospital with a bag for 2 weeks. Luckily after the bag was removed, I have not had any ill effects.

I hope you are keeping in contact with your doctor and letting them know your pain and symptoms.

Take care of yourself and stay positive.

Regards,
ebernier
|

replied November 10th, 2005
Post-hysterectomy
I also am 4 weeks post total abdominal hysterectomy with burch bladder suspension. You really don't give me a lot of hope for the swollen belly, considering i've had three other abdominal surgeries (2 c-sections and a tubal ligation/dual hernia repair). I felt better at 2-3 weeks than I do now. I too am experiencing pinching, pulling and also some burning around the incision area, as well as weightedness. I have lost six pounds post-op, but realize the potential for weight gain is pretty high.

At the same time my husband is suffering from manic depression and I have a lot on my plate. We are both going through a healing process, but I feel i'm the one supporting him emotionally right now. In other words, I could really use a hug right about now.

I just wanted to share with some people who understand what I am going through physically and emotionally. Thanks for listening ... And I wish you all the best in healing. We'll all get through this. Sharon
|

replied November 13th, 2005
Hyster-sisters Website
Thank you for your suggestion to visit the hystersisters website. I only went to one subject so far and was really impressed. I appreciate your reply and look forward to posting with you at hyster sisters.

Thanks again! Together, we'll all get through this - and hopefully, be much happier within a few months.

Sharon
|

replied August 28th, 2009
I too had a partial with some ambivalence on june 9, 2009 and my belly is giving everyone the impression that I am eating more than usual. It is bloated and inflamed and I have taken fish oil but I also have been reading on the web this is not an unusual effect and the doctors do not tell you this and there is scar tissue, keloids and the nerves do not completely heal. It is at lease 7 layers of flesh they are cutting through! I feel like I have gained 50lbs (i have not weighed nor have a scale at home). Timely healing is what you should shoot for vanity may cause more issues. i intend to return to yoga in October, but until then I will be annoyed at my belly and the other side effects that are creeping up! I hate it! and it is expensive since one has to buy clothes to fit or disguise.
|

replied August 28th, 2009
Will my stomach ever go down
I to had a partial hysterectomy on june 30th of this year. I also experience pain during urination. The worst tho is the swelling around my incision site. Although my husband doesn't complain I hate undressing in front of him. I also have resumed my workout but this ol' belly won't budge!
|

replied December 13th, 2009
Burning post radical hysterectomy, incision
I cannot get any answers!!! Will the swelly belly ever go down?? I am 3 wks out from radical hysterectomy due to uterine cancer. Very glad all was removed but the burning and swelling is incredible. I feel like I am coming along fine but very hopeful for a time frame, if there is one. I have lost 7lbs. and hope to keep it off but am still worried and in pain. Thanks for listening and looking for any advice.
|

User Profile
replied December 16th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi Twistedsister and welcome to ehealth:...The swelling will go down, but it takes time...It is a painful surgery, however each week gets better....They say, and I found, the 6 months to a year window was pretty accurate in getting back to normal....Hope this helps...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied December 24th, 2009
I too went through a total hsyterectomy in september of this year and still have pain 3 months out as well as a swollen belly. My incission was from my breast to my pelvic bone and i was told not to exercise to much other than walking . So i'm looking forward to no more pain as well..Long scar
|

replied January 5th, 2010
ok I need help I need to know how you all felt prior and after a hysterectomy....conplications, sex drive, menapausal symptoms, pain after surg..do's and don'ts befor surgurey...etc..I AM AFRAID OF HAVING THE SURG...I NEED ANSWERS I NEED HELP..PLEASE PLEASE write me......please help me
|

replied February 6th, 2010
Hi Sexy43
Sadly my hysto surgery didnt go to well, was all fine and dandy up till 5 weeks after surgery then I started leaking urine out my vj they call it a fistula when your bladdler joins to the wall of the vagina, so this was all back in Aug 09 had another surgery in Oct to try and fix fistula, which hasnt worked so Im still hanging about with a cathida and leaking from all the wrong places (really horrible) they havent given me a secure surgery date yet but looks like end of month hopefully, poor old tummy is looking rather rude after geing cut so many times including a c section 17 yrs ago. Other than that I found the hysterectomy to be not to painful (done through abdoman) I think my sex drive wasnt going to change (just on hold at the moment though) Try to get a really good surgeon even though i trusted mine but I think a registra had a wee play and sadly while sewing my cervix shut kind of attached it to the bladder, well thats what the urologist surgeon thinks. I hope your surgery goes well, do expect quite a bit of bloating for quite a while afterwards and remember to take it easy for at least 6 weeks. Good luck
|

replied February 21st, 2010
weight gain and hysterectomy
Hi Ladies:
I had my hysterectomy in Aug 09. Have had weight gain and issues afterward. I gained about 25 lbs, was always trim before. Have found cortisol hormone plays a role in this with that hormone increasing after this type of surgery. It also increases water retention and is a critical factor in stubborn weight gain no matter the amount of diet and exercise. (See Wikipedia under cortisol) Increase magnesium and Omega-3 vitamins, stay away from caffeine. Find a doc who knows about bio-identical hormone therapies to adjust the vitamins and minerals and check all your hormone levels, including cortisol, thyroid and estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. DO NOT STAY WITH ONE WHO DISMISSES YOUR CONCERNS. This will be critical to your recovery and health and comfort. You also need to get you blood pressure reviewed pre and post-op. Any increase should be addressed and may be a factor in your hot flashes, night sweats and comfort. Resperate ultra monitor works very successfully for reducing it. It works on the bio-feedback technology. I have one- no pills, no side-effects. It's too simplistic and dismissive to just tell women, eat less exercise more and does not address the various other hormones in play. The person who did the surgery may not be the best one for you post-op. I have now found one who is an MD and combines western technologies with eastern techniques and am losing weight and feeling better than I ever have. Keep fighting Ladies, until they hear us and start addressing all the issues. My sources are JAMA, NEW ENGLAND MEDICAL JOURNAL, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF OBSTETRICS AND GYNECOLOGY, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF OBSTETRICS AND GYNECOLOGY, JOURNAL OF OBSTETRICS AND GYNAECOLOGY CANADA, YALE and JOHNS HOPKINS websites.
|

replied February 27th, 2010
I too had a total hysterectomy last Dec 2 of 2009. I had a falling hair that was alarming and I passed gas uncontrollably. Will it go back to normal eventually? Most of all, I'm experiencing frigidity. I'm afraid my husband get fed up for my not responding. My ob-gyn said I can't have estrogen replacement due to my liver hemangeoma. Are there any alternatives? She prescribed EVENING PRIMROSE OIL, but it was a food supplement only. It lessen my mood swing and hot flashes though... Thank you. I'll wait for your reply...
|

replied April 24th, 2010
Swelly Belly
I had total hysterectomy in Nov 09, I have been on Biogenic hormones for several year before so I have not experienced any of the issues these others have had, other then the swelly belly. It is now about the size of my fist but I have lost 17 lbs in 2 months and the belly is still there 6mt post. It feels like it is fluid filled at times and very hard at other times. I am a size 4 with this aweful lump at my waist. Neither my OB or my cosmetic surgeon had a clue as to this SWELLY BELLY. I would of been freaking out except for the articles on Hysyersister. I would suggest going to a Dr who is up on Bio Genitic hormones they are not the same as OB''s. or call Dr.Rouzier in Palm Springs for a referal he wrote the book on Bio Hormones and teaches Dr''s all over U.S. Hope this helps Alleykat
|

replied October 13th, 2010
alleykats

Hi i think you have fluid retaining in your belly, that happen to me.i went to my doctor today and he drainage the fluid out of my belly in his office and now i'm great with out the swelly belly.because it was to unconfortable for me, feeling a lot of pressure like if had a water ballon inside. i also was looking like a 4 or 5 month pregnant because of the fluid.so go a head and talk to your doctor. mine is a very can say excellent doctor. good luck!!!
my uterus,cervix and left ovary where removed on 9/27/2010
today is 10/13/2010
i'm 30 years old an i had 4 c-sections!!
|

replied November 10th, 2010
I've had a total of 10 abdominal surgeries 4 where cesarean sections, 4 where removal of large cysts, 1 was removal of the uterus and cervix, 1 was removal of endometriosis, and my last was the removal of my ovaries. My uterus and ovaries where removed this year 2010 and I can say with all my surgeries I never had a swollen belly after my 8 week post op. "I would definitely get it checked out." I have a lot of bladder pain when I use the restroom still and the Dr. can't find anything wrong, and with both surgeries this year he looked at my bladder while in surgery and all cleared. No infections or anything. I'm not sure why I have the bladder pressure and pain. I've lost a total of 45 pounds since my first surgery this year in March of 2010 "uterus removal" to August 2010 "ovary removal". I am 27 years old and in very good health except my reproductive organs.
|

replied November 10th, 2010
I've had a total of 10 abdominal surgeries 4 where cesarean sections, 4 where removal of large cysts, 1 was removal of the uterus and cervix, 1 was removal of endometriosis, and my last was the removal of my ovaries. My uterus and ovaries where removed this year 2010 and I can say with all my surgeries I never had a swollen belly after my 8 week post op. "I would definitely get it checked out." I have a lot of bladder pain when I use the restroom still and the Dr. can't find anything wrong, and with both surgeries this year he looked at my bladder while in surgery and all cleared. No infections or anything. I'm not sure why I have the bladder pressure and pain. I've lost a total of 45 pounds since my first surgery this year in March of 2010 "uterus removal" to August 2010 "ovary removal". I am 27 years old and in very good health except my reproductive organs.
|

replied December 5th, 2010
swollen belly before and after hysterectomy
Im scheduled to have an open hysterectomy in a couple of weeks. Is the swollen belly and long term weight gain inevitable? Does the swollen belly go when recovery is complete?
I am having my hysterectomy because of HUGE and multiple fibroids? Did anyone else have that and if so, was your stomach very swollen BEFORE the surgery??? Mine is - and it is so depressing and uncomfortable. Id love to hear your experence please........ Thank you girls.
|

replied October 30th, 2011
abdominal swelling after hysterectomy
I had abdominal hysterectomy on Aug 30th 2011 becuase of fibroids also. My doctor told me my uterus was enlarged like I was 5 months pregnant. I also had a big belly before surgery so I thought after the utertus was taken out my stomach would go down but now I still have a big swollen belly with numbness in my lower stomach 2 months post op. Everyone keeps telling me it will take 6 months up to a year or longer before it goes away. Very depresssing !
|

replied January 9th, 2012
Hi, just read ur posting about ur hyst op. I am 3 mnths post op, after a partial abd hyst bcos of fibroids and hav a very swollen tummy all of a sudden. I hav also had a sharp stabbing pain constantly on the left side. As u are a little further along than me i wonderd if u exp similar pains and has ur swollen tummy gone down at all? Thanx for reading this. Hope u recovering well.
|
12 >>