Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

How Effective Is the Day After Pill?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I have a ? I am not sure if any 1 can tell me an exact answer... But if you take that day after pill. Which you can take up to 72 hours after a man has cummed in a women... But the longer you wait the less effective it is I kno that much...Well see I am worried bc this happen to me on a friday nite at 1:00 am in the morning so actually saturday but no planetparenthood is open arround me til monday and I have skewl monday so I had to wait til about 4:30 to take the pills.

And my ? Is how effective is that pill? :?:

thanks for the help
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 18th, 2005
Experienced User
If you don't get your period in three weeks, take a pregnancy test or go see your doctor for a home pregnancy test. Some say that it does keep some of its effectiveness for 5 days or so after sex. There is also the option of having an iud inserted. This can be done up to 7 days after. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 20th, 2005
Experienced User
Re: How Effective Is the Day After Pill?
inversechick wrote:
i have a ? I am not sure if any 1 can tell me an exact answer... But if you take that day after pill. Which you can take up to 72 hours after a man has cummed in a women... But the longer you wait the less effective it is I kno that much...Well see I am worried bc this happen to me on a friday nite at 1:00 am in the morning so actually saturday but no planetparenthood is open arround me til monday and I have skewl monday so I had to wait til about 4:30 to take the pills.

And my ? Is how effective is that pill? :?:

thanks for the help

****************************************** ****************************************** ************************************
it worked wondeful fo rme once I took it the next day. I think I bough tit at like around 5 the evening and I took it then and then 12 hours after that and it worked. So I hope that it works out for you too.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 20th, 2005
Experienced User
Ha Ha!
Apparently it's not effective enough. My sister is 6 weeks pregnant after taking it the day after. I'd be happy, but my sister is stupid and wants to kill it.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 21st, 2005
Experienced User
Re: Ha Ha!
oatmealfairy wrote:
apparently it's not effective enough. My sister is 6 weeks pregnant after taking it the day after. I'd be happy, but my sister is stupid and wants to kill it.


boy!!! That must be really tough. I just lost my baby at 12 weeks. I had to go into hospital on monday and actually deliver it too, that was tough. Ya know a baby is a blessing from god. My dad used to say to my brother and I that we are on loan from god and god allows parents the right to raise his kids and that as a parenst we shud do so to the best of our ability. I wud give just about anything {except sell my soul to the devil} to have a baby right now. I had three miscarriages. I suppose I don't know or understand your sister's situation. Maybe she isn't ready at this time in her life for a baby, they can disrupt your life if you are not mentally ready for them you know, and no one wants to bring an unwanted child into this world. But she shud think long and hard about having an abortion {sigh}. I don't want you think that I am in anyway judging her either, that is not my intention. I just think that she doesn't know how lucky she is to actually be pregnant. I do envy her :(
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 21st, 2005
Experienced User
Exactly!!
My problem is she won't listen to anything anybody says to her unless it's pro-abortion. My mother and I have also tried to explain that for every abortion there are 2 families out there than can't have children of their own. But yesterday she said, "do you know how hard that would be?" (to give the baby a better life than she had, through adoption). I told her it would be a hell of a lot easier than an abortion. But she stopped listening.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 21st, 2005
Experienced User
Re: Exactly!!
oatmealfairy wrote:
my problem is she won't listen to anything anybody says to her unless it's pro-abortion. My mother and I have also tried to explain that for every abortion there are 2 families out there than can't have children of their own. But yesterday she said, "do you know how hard that would be?" (to give the baby a better life than she had, through adoption). I told her it would be a hell of a lot easier than an abortion. But she stopped listening.

########################################## ########################################## #########

adoption is another option. My sister-in-law has been trying to get pregnant for the past 8 years now. She went to a series of doctors who gave her all kinds of remedies, nothing doing. One day I happen to mention to her about doing the dye test, where they check to see if your tubes are blocked and true enuff hers were. Not one doctor she went to ever thot of doing it. Eventually she had to have an operation done to have her tubes unblocked, sadly though so much damage had already been done over the years that they cud only unblock the right one, the left one was in such a mess that it made no sense doing anything about it. She was told that she had to get pregnant within a year, otherwise she cudn't get pregnant at all, the. Tube wud block back up. Well, she had that operation done three years ago and she still isn't pregnant. I had 4 pregnancies, three miscarriages and each time I got pregnant I never knew how to tell her, and when I finally did she was always so deflated. When I had my miscarriages she was there for me every step of the way as painful as it was for her. I even wanted to be a surrogate for her at one point in my life. I wud have done anything to make sure that she had a baby. She always has this longing look in her eyes when I see her with her neices and nephews. She has so much love to give to any child and to see her breaks your heart.
Well, she & my brother just went to see a fertility specialist at the beginning of the month, and the consultation alone costed them $300. The actual implantation is $10 000, which they clearly do not have and there is no guarantee that it will take the first time, so if it doesn't she will have to go back and pay another $ 10 000.
You need to tell your sister how lucky she is. I have no guarantee that I will ever have another baby becuz of my fiance's chromosone problem and now my sister-in-law has no guarantee either.
I mean we can't tell her how to live her life is true, at the end of the day it is her body and her decision to make. I just hope that you and your mom cud get thru to her. I know two women that wud gladly adopt her baby in a heartbeat: me or my sister-in-law. She has no idea.
But just tell her not to make any hasty decisions that she will regret in the future that's all. Her situation is not as bad as it seems. You need to tell her about ours.
I hope she does the right thing :(
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 21st, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: How Effective Is the Day After Pill?
inversechick wrote:
i have a ? I am not sure if any 1 can tell me an exact answer... But if you take that day after pill. Which you can take up to 72 hours after a man has cummed in a women... But the longer you wait the less effective it is I kno that much...Well see I am worried bc this happen to me on a friday nite at 1:00 am in the morning so actually saturday but no planetparenthood is open arround me til monday and I have skewl monday so I had to wait til about 4:30 to take the pills.

And my ? Is how effective is that pill? :?:

thanks for the help
according to your post, you had unprotected intercourse on saturday early in the morning and took ec at about 4:30 in the afternoon on monday, correct? This time period would still fall under the most effective time for the pills - about 85 - 87%

oatmealfairy wrote:
apparently it's not effective enough. My sister is 6 weeks pregnant after taking it the day after.
you can become pregnant within a time span of about 24 hours. If your sister was ovulating while she was having sex, there was a good chance that fertilization took place and she conceived within 24 hours of that. Ec does not disrupt or dislodge an embryo that has already implanted into the lining of the uterus. It is very possible that your sister was already pregnant when she took ec and since the purpose of the pills is to prevent a pregnancy and not end it, it could not work for her.
|
Did you find this post helpful?