Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Pounding But Slow Heart Beats

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
Has anybody here ever experienced a slow yet pounding heart beat? One that lasts for a short amount of time and for no particular reason except for maybe standing up or sitting down? I have had short rushes of adrenaline and palpatations for no reason before which feel somewhat similar but i've never noticed something quite like this before. It feels like its really beating hard but it will beat about the same rate as if I am at rest.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 19th, 2009
YES!
Hi, I have experieced the same symptoms! When I stand from a reclined postions, laying postion, or if I kneel down to pick something up, I will feel a slow and forceful heart rythem. I have consulted with my cardiologist and he has recommended that I take a TTT (Tilt Table TesT) I researched the test and it is mainly used for those who experience black out spells. It is possible that you are experienceing what is reffered to as bradycardia or a slowed heart rythem. I would HIGHLY recommend that you see a cardiologist as soon as possible. I see that your post was written in '05. I hope you are feeling better and that you have since then consulted a doctor. PLEASE WRITE ME BACK To let me know if you have experiecned any improvements. The symptoms are very upestting and have caused a deepening anxiety about the whole situation. The doctors have told me that my heart is very healthy and is working fine... with the exception of this symptom that they have yet to explain or understand. Hopefully after my TTT this friday I will have a better understanding as to what is happening and how to fix it.
|

replied June 28th, 2009
Slow, Pounding Heart
This happens to me sometimes at night when I lay down. My heart slows dramatically and beats really hard. My whole body goes numb, I get naucious and then a really bad headache. Lately, I have been taking Advil, but I don't know if that is even helping. This has been happening for over a year, but I still have not seen a doctor. I don't have health insurance, and I can't afford to get it. Please help...

|

replied July 31st, 2009
Pounding Heart and body goes numb
I had that happen to me just lastnight....thought to myself is this a seizure or a stroke or a heart attack ??? Never been that concerned about the possibility of not waking up ever again. Took me 2 hours of this to finally get back to sleep
|

replied February 1st, 2011
Hard heartbeat & GERD?
I have GERD and late night indigestion AND the Hard beating heart you described.
I have found if I lessen my indigestion, I lessen the hard heartbeat occurence.
|

replied February 5th, 2011
Ive been having the same heart prob for 48 hrs now, not straight, but good half hour to hr at a time while resting! Trying to nap now but it's annoying me! I've had it b4 but only for short 3-5 mins. I do get lil blurred vision if I stand up quick. Other than that I have no symptoms or diseases. I'm 28 and physically fit. Enjoy running. I'm guessing it's palpitations possibly??! No insurance or I'd have it worked up. Feels almost like an extra heartbeat or even maybe a skipped...funny I cant tell the difference between the two. It's definitely bradycardic and pumping hard!! Anyone fig out what this is?
|

replied February 5th, 2011
I get this all the time. I have a heart murmer (I have one extra beat in my heart). I also smoke. I usually experience this during/after I smoke, but I sometimes do experience this out of the blue. Maybe you have a heart murmer? I really don't think it is anything serious, but seeing a doctor wouldn't hurt either. Best of luck!
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
Slow heart rate and pounding hard.. Blacked out on TTT
I also am experiencing the same symptoms. I've been on the tilt table test and passed out in less than 5 minutes. I was given two options... Get a pacemaker or live with it. Not too reassuring. Could there be something else going on besides vasovagel syncope?
|

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2011
have same/similar problem
just woke up, was laying there and felt slow, thumping heartbeat for about 30 seconds until i sat up
also have acid indigestion (woke couple hours ago with "back of mouth vomit sensation/burning sinuses, took antiacid and went back to sleep)
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
I had this slow strong heart rate once and assumed it was a reaction to something I had just eaten. It was about 10-15 minutes after I ate something and I felt overwhelmingly exhausted. I laid on the couch and I could feel my heart was beating slowly. It felt like I would die of exhaustion but it wasn't a bad feeling. About 30-60 minutes later I was back to normal.
|

replied March 17th, 2012
Can anyone please detail if they are overweight at all if experiencing this condition, or suffer from diabetes or hypoglycemia?
|

replied May 20th, 2012
Hi I'm 16 , I was in my bed trying to fall a sleep but than I have touched my chest and felt like my heart is not beating than it was beating very hard and slow , it felt like it was about to pop out , I'm fit but I smoke a electronic cigarette , I'm skinny , should I go and see a doctor ? Thank you
|

replied June 19th, 2012
happened to me right now its 12am i just smoked and then ate even though i was thinking i shouldt because its late and when i stood up and drank something cold my hearrt felt like it had an extra beat and it was hard.. happened before fof secondds this time likr a minute.. im 20 and fit i work out eating habits not the best tho
|

replied March 2nd, 2013
I have been experiencing this hard heart pounding for about 2 years. At first it was something that happened once a while for a few minutes. I have been seeing a cardiologist and have had ECG, holter moniter and event monitor tests done, but only PVC turned up in one of the test. I have come to the point that the pounding is almost all day and night, my chest is tight, hard to breathe and I am weak and fatigued. I cannot bend down because when I get up I feel like I'm going to pass out. Even thou I have been seeing my doctor and cardiologist regularly about this they really havent done anything. I don't know what else to do.
|

replied April 10th, 2013
MRI and heart pounding onset.
I ate some ice cream and had a acid stomach so took a Prilosec and one hour later had a migraine start to come on and then after about 2 hours I ate a double cheese and a soda pop and then hot fudge sundae and about a hour and a half this pounding in the heart is here and im thinking it has something to do with the Prilosec but I also have partial clogged arteries in the carotid arteries in the neck and have tinnitus in the right ear and also been diagnosed with a heart murmur but I had the first experience of this while in a mri tube getting a mri so im thinking this also had something to do with this sudden onset of all this heart pounding experience im going through from time to time.
|

replied April 10th, 2013
MRI and heart pounding onset.
I ate some ice cream and had a acid stomach so took a Prilosec and one hour later had a migraine start to come on and then after about 2 hours I ate a double cheese and a soda pop and then hot fudge sundae and about a hour and a half this pounding in the heart is here and im thinking it has something to do with the Prilosec but I also have partial clogged arteries in the carotid arteries in the neck and have tinnitus in the right ear and also been diagnosed with a heart murmur but I had the first experience of this while in a mri tube getting a mri so im thinking this also had something to do with this sudden onset of all this heart pounding experience im going through from time to time.
|

replied April 18th, 2013
The best thing to do if you have any abnormal symptoms with your heart is to go to the doctor straight away as your heart is not something you can play around with. The doctor's can hear your heart rate with a electronic stethoscope. Please don't leave this if the symptoms persist.
|

replied June 5th, 2014
I have the same slow and hard heartbeat, when my heart should go from slow to faster pulse. I also pass out a lot.
It resulted in some testing in the hospital, showing that I have genetics for left ventricular hypertrophy.
When someone has the genetics, they will also experience some symptoms, even when the heart is ok.
|