Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

3 Positive Urine But Negative Blood Test (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hello, about 2 weeks ago I thought I got my monthly cycle. So I did what I normally do and went to sleep. The next morning to my surprise I no longer had it. The next morning I took a hpt and it came back positive. So I took 2 more and they all came back with the same response. I have classic symptoms of pregnancy and everything. I went to my primary doctor since my ob couldnt see me for another 2 weeks. She took blood and urged the ob to see me the next day to make sure everything was ok. I went to the ob the next day and after her exam she said everything seemed fine. She also took blood. However my primary called me yesterday to say that she doesn't know what is going on but the lab came back negative for pregnancy. I am very worried and confused. I definately feel pregnant. Now I am playing phone tag with my ob's nurse and she said that I can't have a u/s til nove.1 I feel that is too late. Should I be worried, has anyone heard of this before, should I just go to the er and get an u/s there? :cry:
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper teadley
|

User Profile
replied October 18th, 2005
Community Volunteer
Ya I would go get one done in the er, or get another blood test done. That's kind of weird. Good luck!!!!
|

replied October 4th, 2012
I have had two blood test done both negative but every home test positive
|

replied January 29th, 2013
I'm confused as well. I took two urine tests after being 3 days late, one on a sunday and the other one the next day and they both came up positive. However, I started bleeding on that following thursday. I panicked and went to the ER. They told me I was NOT pregnant after they did a blood test and found no baby sacc and i might of had a miscarriage if i was. However, i should test again two weeks prior to the ER visit. Still have not tested because I haven't had the chance but I'm wondering if i still could be preggo. I pee so much and the bleeding only lasted four days...if it had been a miscarriage wouldnt it had lasted more? HELPPP me out please.
|

replied November 7th, 2012
To axisac I just had the same thing happen to me. I hadn't missed my p yet do the dr cldnt get a read. Those test we buy are designed to pick up after 14 days of the hormone is present. Mine wasn't quite late. She said they can't read anything under 4wks2 days. I'm 3 weeks and 2 days. Lol but I was tld to come back in two weeks. U might just be prego enough to get a reaction but their stuff is just more advance. Hopefully they dnt nickel and dimes either cuz I had two miscarriages this yr so I'm anxious to know what's going on. I only have one ovary left due to the 1st miscarriage so I'm praying hard for this one. Baby dust too u! Good luck!
|

replied October 18th, 2005
Results
Hey girls, well listen to this. After the ob/gyn that I tried to get a hold of told me that they didn't know who I was and couldnt find any of my paper work I called my primary. I took her advice and went to the e.R.. I was there from 8pm until 5 in the morning. But it was worth it!!! They did an internal sonogram since my bladder was not full. And there it was a little baby sac! The sonographer said that it looked like I just turned 5 weeks so there wasn't much to see. The doctor came in at that point and he confirmed it. So they took labs of urine and blood. Then he said that the prenancy was perfect and that I have a mild urinary tract infection. He said that the blood work came out positive for pregnancy! Iwas so relieved! So I am taking some antibiotics and am looking for a new ob/gyn! I will keep you all posted! Thanks
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
so wat did your urine test say
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2009
positive urine test negative blood test
OMG!!! the same thing is happening to me!!! i took 4 urine tests from a local clinic and they all came out positive!! so i went to my obgyn and they gave me a blood test and it came out negative!!! i dont know what to do
|

replied August 17th, 2012
the same thing happened to me but i get alot of lower back pain & i got hella lazy !
i pee every hour & i am getting a darker line around my breast wt does that mean ?
i need advice & help !
am i possablie pregnant or no ?
|

replied September 21st, 2009
Pregnancy
I took a urine test and it came back negative. However, I nausated and my stomache is crampy and my stomache feels bloated. My period was usual this month. It was spotty the first two days and one day of light bleeding. Then spotty the next day...then NOTHING. I did have unprotected sex on August 22, 30th, and 4th. Period was due on the 16th but the spottiness came on the 14th.

any advice? Should I take another one...?go to the ER to do a sonogram/blood test? HELP
|

replied October 10th, 2009
False positive HCG, or positive urine with negative blood
Yeah, the same thing is happening to me right now. Had multiple brands give me a faint but definite positive urine test 2 mornings ago, and the positive showed up right away (less than 1 minute, and it's still there 2 days later). I had a quantitative HCG blood test less than 24 hours later (yesterday morning) and it was <1, so not preggers. Had unusually mild cramping and heavy flow starting the evening after the multiple positives in the urine and hours before the blood test, so probably NOT pregnant. Still you'd think if EPT and ClearBlue Easy and a hospital brand all gave a positive that there would be something in the blood less than 24 hours later. Very confused and disappointed...
|

replied January 29th, 2013
I'm confused as well. I took two urine tests after being 3 days late, one on a sunday and the other one the next day and they both came up positive. However, I started bleeding on that following thursday. I panicked and went to the ER. They told me I was NOT pregnant after they did a blood test and found no baby sacc and i might of had a miscarriage if i was. However, i should test again two weeks prior to the ER visit. Still have not tested because I haven't had the chance but I'm wondering if i still could be preggo. I pee so much and the bleeding only lasted four days...if it had been a miscarriage wouldnt it had lasted more? HELPPP me out please.
|

replied November 12th, 2009
Hi i am in the same boat. i have took 5 hpt (all first response) all positive had 2 neg blood tests.i am still late for my period and still get pos hpt(first resopnse) i have researched and found that they are the best tests and that they pick up from 4.6mol. better then the blood. could i be pregnant i did tests after the blood came back and surprise suprise positive please some1 help me.
|

replied November 13th, 2009
Positive urine prenancy tests, and negative blood tests
As near as I can figure, there are several possible explanations.

First, there's a chance of a mix-up in the lab. If a re-drawn blood test is also negative, then that is not as likely.

Next, I would try a different brand for the urine test. There are incredibly rare cases, from what I've been reading, of women whose pregnancy tests don't turn up positive for a few months. This is very, very rare. I would put this option in the category of "least likely."

Third, testing with too sensitive a urine test may pick up an early miscarriage and give you false hopes, as I've been having.

Blood tests that are quantitative (ones that give an actual #) as opposed to qualitative (yes or no) are more sensitive than anything that gets sold in stores.

With my positive urine testes and negative blood test, it turns out mine was another early miscarriage. I have seen the explanation that HCG shows up first in the blood and then in the urine. It leaves the blood first and then leaves the urine, in cases of miscarriage and also after delivery of a baby. This is a possible explanation for my results. For your sake, I hope this isn't happening to you, too. However, it may be the most likely explanation.

There are some questions to ask which may help clarify this.

If you don't mind me asking, how late are you? Do you know when you ovulated? At how many days post ovulation have you tested urine and blood. Which type of blood test have you had done(# vs. Y/N)? Are your First Response tests faintly positive or strongly positive?

If another brand besides First Response also shows positive, I suggest you bring them to a doctor. Do a little show and tell with your urine and some brand new tests there in the office, if they will let you, and see what a doctor says about WHY you have positive urine and negative blood.

The reason I ask about whether or not you know when ovulation happened is that sometimes it can happen later in the cycle than you expect, and therefore your period will be correspondingly "late." It also is important to know how late you are.

For instance: last month I had an early miscarriage, as indicated by positive urine and negative blood. My period started at 29 days, even with the positive urine tests.
This month I ovulated an entire WEEK later than normal. My cycle went from 29 days last month to 35 days this month, with my period starting on day 35. I had more positive EPT tests (25mIU sensitivity) this month around day 29 and 31, but had I not been checking my LH levels and known I ovulated late, I would have assumed my period was late. Knowing when I ovulated, I was able to figure out when my period was due (approx 14 days after the LH surge). Seeing the positive EPT go away around day 32, before my period was "due" (according to when I ovulated, instead of according to the number of days) lets me know that it looks like another early miscarriage this month.

The point of this long-winded explanation is that if you ovulated late, your period might not be "due" when you expect it to be due.

If you respond, I'll try and help you figure this out.

For my stuff, I'm at the point now where I've decided after this past month to just STOP checking for both ovulation and pregnancy until I'm an entire month "late," at the very least. I've lost count of the number of my early miscarriages, and for my sanity's sake I need to let this go and just let myself be surprised.
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
Hi jadephoenix76

I know that its almost 2 year since you posted this but i'm writing to you in the faint hope that you may still check this, i,m in the same situation as you i track and monitor my ovulation cycle and i 2 am having very early miscarriages(4 so fare) as i get several positive urine test then a negative blood test from the doctors every time. Im under going an ultrasound and several blood test next week to maybe shed some more light on why i have had so may early miscarriages.

I would love to hear from you and find out how you went and if you had any luck finding out why you had these early miscarriage's?? Also i would love to know if you have successfully conceived and had a baby?? it would give me some hope:)
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
Hi jadephoenix76

I know that its almost 2 year since you posted this but i'm writing to you in the faint hope that you may still check this, i,m in the same situation as you i track and monitor my ovulation cycle and i 2 am having very early miscarriages(4 so fare) as i get several positive urine test then a negative blood test from the doctors every time. Im under going an ultrasound and several blood test next week to maybe shed some more light on why i have had so may early miscarriages.

I would love to hear from you and find out how you went and if you had any luck finding out why you had these early miscarriage's?? Also i would love to know if you have successfully conceived and had a baby?? it would give me some hope:)
|

replied October 2nd, 2012
Confused
Can I ask for your help since you don't mind answering... I've been trying to conceive. My period was suppose to come on sept 27. But Monday the 24 I took a dirt response test and it was negative. On the 28 when I realized I was late I took another and got a faint posative. I wet to the doc and there test came up negative so they did blood and it also came back negative. I am now 7 days late. Could I still be pregnant? My doc says I might have ovaries late cause I ha a miscarriage in July. You can text me 8323496668. I'm desperate for someone to talk too.
|

replied January 2nd, 2010
ok I am so happy to have found these posts. we have been trying to get pregnant for 9 years.(pocs)..so I was over the moon when my dr told me I was pregnant--from urine tests. only then to have my heart broken when she called and said that i am not pregnant according to my blood tests...i have been crying since the call came. idk what to do. I want to believe that the tests were wrong or just done too early, but i dont know. i feel pregnant. i can't sleep on my stomach. my breasts seem larger...the week i think i got pregnant my back was killing me and i felt this heaviness in my pelvis.
how the heck can the tests come back like this???? my heartaches and i am ticked! has anyone had this and come to find out you were in fact pregnant? HELP
|

replied February 11th, 2010
posative hpt negative blood test
i am going thru the same thing right now i have done 6 hpt all different brands and all have posative but doctor took blood yesterday and said negative im really confused i have all the symptoms but dont no what to think ????????????? please help Sad
|

replied June 9th, 2010
positive urine test, negative blood test?
The same thing is happening to me. I went to the ER on friday for asthma symptoms and they took a urine test. It came back positive and I was overjoyed due to the fact that I have complications getting pregnant. On tuesday a blood test was taken and early wednesday morning my ob called to tell me that the hCG was negative. Very frustrating for a woman who was so excited finally. The other posts have really helped though. When the positive urine test came back I would only have conceived a week prior. Now I am wondering if I had a chemical pregnancy.
|

replied June 12th, 2010
Three positive pregnancy tests - negative blood test
Thank goodness for this thread - This week I had three positive pregnancy tests then a negative blood test.

I have been doing quite a bit of research on why this could be and have come to the conclusion that I did in fact have a very early miscarriage and by the time I got to the Dr for a blood test my HcG level was already under 5.

Its heartbreaking because you start to mourn a miscarriage only to find you haven't miscarried at all - or so the blood test says..I too will not test again until well after my period is due, in no way want to go through this again.

PS: FR can pick up HcG as low a 6.5 so it makes sense that by the time you get your blood done you could be under 5 - with a very early miscarriage anyway.
|

replied November 15th, 2012
3 digital home pregnacys said I was prednant. Blood test said no
Thank you for all your posts. This week I felt really crazy. The day before my piriod I was feeling nervouse that I was pregnant. So I took a digital pregnancy test before bed thinking it would say "not pregnant" make me not worrie so my period would come on time. Instaid it said I was Pregnant. I called my husbend and balled my eyes out for 10 min. before I could show him. (he's been wonderfully supportave through this whole thing.) But I still didnt give in to the idea of being pregnant. I waited 3 days after my period was spose to come, and took two more digital tests on saterday. They both came back possitive. So I gave in to the idea I was Pregnant and acctully felt happy about it. two hours after the test I started spotting. I cryed for two days like someone shot my puppy(deep sorow crying). So Sunday my husband took me to a walk in clinic around 3pm. He felt my tummy for sorness everything was fine. Gave me a pee test and it was negative. I had terably light spoting for 4 days not even enought to equal a birth control period. I wore underware the hole time. I went for a blood test tues. and Yesterday it came back nagative. I balled my eyes out again all the way home from the walk in clinic. I have a dc app next tues day. My boobs still hurt, my tummys blotted and I felt very confused. All of your coments are so helpfull. I no longer feel like its just me and i must me crazy. In 24 hrs I went from balling cause I thought I was pragnant to balling cause I thought I was loosing it, to wondering if it was even their.

My husbend and I have desided Im not going back on birth control, but where also not going to try. leave it to the powers at be. Now I feel like weather I get my period or not its not the end of the world.

I hope this helps and thanks those already willing to talk about it. Thank goodness for the comunity of the internet. Smile
|

replied November 15th, 2012
I have had the exact same thing same situation seriously exact same let me know if you are!
|

replied June 18th, 2010
i was 5 days late for my period so i took a home pregnancy test and it came back positve, 2 days later i started bleeding so i went to the er and had blood taken, blood came back negative. I also feel very confused and i am wondering how that happened?
|

replied June 19th, 2010
pregnany test both positive and negative
I took a pregnancy test 2 days ago in the morning and it came back positive. I went to the dr this afternoon and took another urine test, this one came back negative. I did drink A Lot of water and my urine was pretty clear. So I was soo upset. I bought some more tests and I haven't drank too much since then. Took another urine test and it came back positive. Not sure what to believe or think! Any suggestions:)

Thanks
|

replied July 9th, 2010
Im 21 years old, the past 2 months,i have been having symptoms of pregnancy,sore breasts,blue veins in breasts,very sensitive nipples,nausia,dizziness, back pains,and major fatigue. My period for this month came very late, and two weeks after i finished that period,I started bleeding again,it lasted as long as a period,but it was the lightest flow that I have ever had. this has never happened to me. 2 out of 4 tests came up positive. I went to the doctor,who wasnt in, so the nurse had me pee in a cup and she tested with a hpt and it came up negative. That is all she did. She told me I only got positives because I tested when my hormones were at their peek and that false positives are more common that false negatives. apparently,I was just getting these symptoms because my body was trying to have a period. the weird thing is, I had like 2 periods(though irregular) while experiencing these symptoms. I still feel like Im Pregnant. My boyfriend wants to take me to get a blood test done and see a DOCTOR, because everything the nurse said sounded fishy, all those answers just from a negative home pregnancy test? Can anyone give me any advice???? Mad
|

replied August 18th, 2010
me too.
3 days after missed period I got 3 (+) HPT's (2 answer lab strips, one First Response)
Went to OBGYN the same day of the (+) first response...
Prior to the 3rd day of my missed period, I had BFNs from 6 days before my period was due...

I'm having this same issue, and I had a urine test a transvaginal ultrasound and a blood test within 45 minutes of one another this is what was shown up. I'm dumbfounded.

Urine in OBGYN office +
Blood in OBGYN office -
Ultrasound? See for yourself...

I was told this was a baby gestational sac, until my Midwife called the next morning and told me I wasn't pregnant. Then she said this wasn't a gestational sac? I'm confused. I'm also pretty DEVISTATED.

I'm having increased CM as of tonight, too, like a leaky faucet (sorry if TMI)... If I miscarry, shouldn't I bleed or something? Why would my CM be in full force, too instead of blood?

I cant post on some of those baby sites anymore, everyone is so... mean and pretentious and insensitive. I just want some help and some answers. Does anyone have a resolution on their situation?

Prognosis doesn't look good for me. How long until I start bleeding, because I know its coming... I should just accept it.

I don't know what i'm doing, this is my first pregnancy... I'm scared and don't want to lose this baby. I feel like I don't really have another option. and I'm sad...

I'm going back for another blood test tomorrow, just incase the results were mixed up... fingers crossed... if that even counts for anything.

Everyone says that I cant even be chemically pregnant, but why is my body acting like I am? I'm so confused.
|

replied February 6th, 2012
Ok, Im scared and confused. So I took 3 at home urine tests 2 positive and 1 negative. Saturday at work I was feeling really sick. Nauseated, vomiting, sensitivity t to smells breast tenderness and cramping/a pulling feel near my belly button. I went to the ER and they took a urine test. The doctor said there was a lot of hcg and it came back positive. Than they took a blood test and that came back negative? She said hcg was present but not enough to call it positive. She was confused and took another urine test which oddly came back negative....What gives? How does this happen? Am I pregnant or not? Any advice or any info please!!!

I am still having all of the signs!
|

replied June 9th, 2013
I struggle with PCOS. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 2 years, and Oct 2012 found and cleared a blockage in R tube. My period has been regular since. April 15 I started, regular monthly. 5 Days prior to my expectant monthly due - I tested (Digital), Reads positive. Needless to say I was overjoyed, went to doctors and both urine and blood work came back negative. My world seemed to crumble, even though I didn't want to allow myself to believe it until it was "confirmed." Was told to wait for my period, it still hasn't come. I will be 4 weeks late tomorrow. Have taken 6 hpt (4 digitals and 2 droplet/disk tests) all negative, but no blood. My mother told me I didn't "show up" until she was 4 months. - My moods are like the Himalayas, have only felt sick 2-3x, (my husband periodically feels sick often), my breasts are getting bigger (so he tells me), and I feel drained/exhausted all the time. I can't seem to get enough sleep, and I am gaining weight. But I don't want to get my hopes up, because it literally breaks my heart every time its a negative. I have been explaining every sign/symptom away - which can be done. These are things that can be caused by something else BUT I desperately want my cautious/afraid self to be wrong Sad Anyone have any advice?
|

replied June 9th, 2013
I struggle with PCOS. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 2 years, and Oct 2012 found and cleared a blockage in R tube. My period has been regular since. April 15 I started, regular monthly. 5 Days prior to my expectant monthly due - I tested (Digital), Reads positive. Needless to say I was overjoyed, went to doctors and both urine and blood work came back negative. My world seemed to crumble, even though I didn't want to allow myself to believe it until it was "confirmed." Was told to wait for my period, it still hasn't come. I will be 4 weeks late tomorrow. Have taken 6 hpt (4 digitals and 2 droplet/disk tests) all negative, but no blood. My mother told me I didn't "show up" until she was 4 months. - My moods are like the Himalayas, have only felt sick 2-3x, (my husband periodically feels sick often), my breasts are getting bigger (so he tells me), and I feel drained/exhausted all the time. I can't seem to get enough sleep, and I am gaining weight. But I don't want to get my hopes up, because it literally breaks my heart every time its a negative. I have been explaining every sign/symptom away - which can be done. These are things that can be caused by something else BUT I desperately want my cautious/afraid self to be wrong Sad Anyone have any advice?
|

replied June 9th, 2013
1+ Urine hpt, 1- Urine & 1- Blood, 4 weeks later no period ?
|
12 >>