Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Recovery Time Post Gallbladder Removal? (Page 1)

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
The majority of stories that I have heard have people going back to work the next day!! Can this be true? One lady said after her day surgery she went back to the office that afternoon for an hour. I can't say I believe this. I, for one, am a wimp. I am scheduled in a few weeks and the office I work in says you will need three days to recover. This is not what I am reading on all the web sites.

Any past experience in recovery of gall bladder removal?
First Helper nomoregallbladder
|

replied October 16th, 2005
I can only advise what I am going through. I have heard of people going back to work after about a week with no problems. I had mine removed just over a week ago. I am still uncomfy under my ribs & am having some problems with one of my incisions 'pulling' when I try to do too much, but I know there are a couple of stitches in there, which may be the problem. Still cant sleep on my side which is annoying me!! Other than that, I am not too bad. Still finding I am getting tired easy, but I am sure anaesthetic stays in your system longer than the drs make out lol.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 15th, 2012
Gallbladder care after removal
I had my gallblafdder out 3 weeks ago now and beginning to feel much better I had pain in right shoulder for over a week after op doc said its the gas they pump in when doing the op also anaesthetic and can take up to 6 weeks from date of op to leave the body I still feel some pulling in stomache but glad to say pain n shoulder now gone yahoo back aches a bit if I do to much I did go back to work yesterday but will need to take it easy I am a massage therapist so lots of stretching I workf for myself so can take it slow I have found a low fat diet is best also cut dairy right down be very careful with the diet for the first 2 weeks I am now able to eat some dairy but only a little or it's a visit to loo try and stay fat free hope this helps
|
Users who thank ceefirr for this post: siris1220 

replied January 15th, 2012
It was good to read your post - because it is recent! Thank you for writing it.

Here is my input for anyone else that wants to read it.

I am lying in bed and it is Sunday night. Had my gall bladder removed by lap. surgery last Monday Jan.9th. I feel so horrible that I still can't help around the house, get up and down off of the bed or couch without help, and can't lie on my side yet. I feel as if I am healing well, but its definitely NOT as fast as everyone - including my doctor - told me. "Ahh, a couple days and you'll begin to feel like your old self!" ... NOT. So my advice for those who want it. There may be a small handful of people out there who are back to work in a few days, but the majority I talk to and read of need at LEAST a week or two to even begin feeling close to normal.

My reality: I need at LEAST motrin to feel as if I can even get in and out of the shower by myself and move around and walk on my own. Still don't feel good enough to drive. I still have my butterfly bandages on. I still have internal stomach pain at my surgery sites, tire very easily. Unloaded the top rack of the dishwasher yesterday and tried to pull a broom on some spilled dog food yesterday - nope... not ready for that. Did help cook dinner by cutting up tomato and lettuce. Yesterday Sat at dinner table for first time with my family (5 days post op) with the help of a pillow against my tummy. Sneezing and coughing are not my friend. Post op follow up is Tuesday (8 days after surgery) and I will be waiting to go back to work til I am totally ready because I start a new position and hit the ground running. Still feel and look bloated, only sleep well with 1/2 a pain pill or motrin 800, and just really want to be well so my wonderful husband can have a break from my needing him.

Just take your time. My sister told me... "no-one in that family cares that you are laying down on the couch and healing but you. So take your time, take walks to gain strength, rest, and don't rush it or you'll be sorry you did!" She is right. This was surgery, and my body will heal only as fast as it can. I conclude that after 2 natural childbirths and 2 additional deliveries, I must know what pain is and be able to tolerate pain. This is just different and I need to listen to my body. You all need to do the same.

I hope you all heal well! Best wishes.
|
Users who thank UWright for this post: TimeTraveller 

replied January 23rd, 2012
Recovery Time
I am glad to find recent postings. I found this website when
I was searching for the reasons of my back pain after gallbladder surgery.
I had my gallbladder out on Wed. Jan 18th and that very first night at home I forced myself to get up and walk. Since the worst pain I could feel was from the gas. It was stock on my back and right shoulder. Nurses advised me that this could happen and the only thing that could make it go away faster (18-24 hrs) was by walking. So, with my husbads help, I would get up and take small walks around the bedroom. Take your pain meds regularly with fat free foods, eat a lot of fruits and drink plenty of fluids. Also, buy a stool softner since more likely your pain med will cause constipation. All I have to say is that everybody is different and I have to say that this is not as bad as I read on most of these websites before my surgery.
By friday, I was able to take a shower with help of course and we remove the bandages, leaving the plastic stitch cover. They told me those will fall off by themselves in a week or so.
By Saturday, I was able to get up by myself and come down the stairs, using my lower body. Yes, my legs are sore but that's good ecercising. Just be careful, don't do anything stupid and the sooner you get up and moving, the sooner you will be 100% recovered.
Today is Monday and I could go to work, since I work in an administrative position, but my belly wound is still a little bit sore and pulling, and it is disconforting for me to be sitting for a long period of time (more than 3 hrs). So, I am guessing by Wednesday - a week from Surgery. I should be able to be back at work.
So, walk as soon as you can, eat lots of fiber, fat free diet, take your meds regularly, take a stool softner (NOT laxative) if needed, shower (its amazing how much better you feel when you are clean), enjoy your offtime doing things that normally you can't (catch up on old movies, read, listen to good music). E

I still have not found the answer of my back pain after laying downin bed for 2-3 hours..it is always in the same spot, but I am sure as soon I can sleep on my side it will go away.
|

replied January 30th, 2012
Gallballder surgery
I had mine out last Tuesday, the 24th and I felt better the day after than what I do now. Still allot of pain, can't eat, no appetite. I'm broken out in a rash and I feel like I have a bladder infection now. I had so many people tell me what a piece of cake this surgery is. RIGHT!!!!
|

replied February 2nd, 2012
gallbladder experience
I had my gallblader surgery last wednesday the 25th of January. I felt good the day of and the next day, no one could believe I had surgery, then it all started going down hill especially in the morning and at night. My face got flushed, so I just thought blood pressure was up because of pain and i was swollen in a very private area. By monday I had to be rushed back to the doctor who performed the surgery.I was doubled over in the worse pain I have ever felt, crying my eyes out and I have had 2 kids. I thought that was trapped gas. The more I walked the worst it got. It felt like I either had glass in me trying to push out or like a steak knife stuck in my side and with every shallow breath I took it felt like it was stabbing me. It was then that I found out that I am allergic to hydrocodone, hince the red rash on my face and the unmentionable swelling, and that I had sandy grit in the bile ducts hince the worse pain I have ever experienced in my life so he prescribed 6 weeks of Ursodiol to be taken 2 x's per day, 600 mgs aleve per day for swelling, and tylenol 3 for pain. I felt sooo much better the next morning. It was the 1st time I could stretch and yawn. I was completely exhausted and felt like I did a thousand cruches from the servere pain I was in the day before so I rested half the day. Today I went for follow up appt, he removed the staples (yeah staples) from all 4 incisions, ouchhh, now my dilema is the upper cut is still open, i can see fat inside, it is freaking me out. The important thing is he told me not to soak in tub and definately dont get in water at beach, it will open the incisions, especially salt water. I just wanna know how long before incision heals and will it close, the dr said it will, but it stings and is freaking me out a bit. My belly button incision isnt as bad but is also a little open on one side. I wish everyone who has this surgery the best of luck with recovery. My surgeon tells me that Im not out of the woods yet but ok so far. He says we wont know until follow up appt in 6 weeks. If not I will have to have endioscopic suergy to have my bile ducts stented so they stay open from the liver and pancreas, so you can bet Im praying that this medication, Ursodiol dissolves all of the grit coming from my liver. So far so good. Again, good luck to all of you.
|

replied February 13th, 2012
So glad to find this! I had my gallbladder removed on January 31st, 2012. It's been two weeks and I am surprised that I am not back to normal as my surgeon said I would be. I went back to work 9 days (including a weekend) after surgery. I couldn't get through whole days. The biggest issue I'm having now is the internal pulling feeling. It makes it impossible for me to find a comfortable sleeping position. I am on my 4th day of no sleep due to my inability to find a comfy way to sleep. I am back at work today but between the exhaustion and the discomfort of sitting at a desk and pressure on my wounds from my arms when I type, I don't know how long I'll last. I am so tired. My uncle is a doctor and he said a more realistic expectation is that it will take about 2 months to get back to full functioning. Ugh!
|

replied February 13th, 2012
I had my gall bladder out on Jan. 17. Some days are better than others but most of my issues now seem to deal with my digestive track. Have really not felt a whole lot better now than I did before the surgery. I did not have stones, just a inflamed gall bladder that was only working at about 7% acording to the hydascan (sp?) The doctor told me that I should be able to eat anything I want, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far. Some foods, even fatty ones, don't seem to bother me, but others do and things that didn't bother me three days ago might today. I HATE this. I was back to work after a week and a half and have been doing ok, just wondering when and if I will ever FEEL better. Thanks!
|

replied October 25th, 2012
It's been 4 weeks since I had my gallbladder removed by laparascopy. The doctor in the hospital wanted to give me 3 weeks off from work to recover. I thought that a week would be enough! After the first week I asked my personal physicial to give me another week, which he did. He also gave me carbon/magnesium capsules for the gas and trimebutine (French) for the intensine. Both helped. I went back to work the third week and was exhausted. I am much better this week, but after three days am pretty tired and am looking forward to the weekend. I saw the surgeon and told him how tired I am and he said that it is perfectly normal to feel tired and I have to remember that I did have an organ removed. He also told me to listen to my body and to not push myself. That was a relief.
|

replied February 19th, 2012
Gallbadder Surgery
Thank you for sharing and being so honest. I am having my surgery Tuesday 21st. I have been wondering how fast I will recover. How much I can do and can't do. I am use to doing it all myself.

I hope you are feeling better. Rest well.
|

replied March 3rd, 2013
Even though this is more than a year old, oh, so glad you posted your story because it reads just like my experience. Many friends say "oh, I bounced right back immediately" or "Oh, after day 2 I didn't need anything but ibuprofen" and I'm thinking "your pain tolerance must not be the same as me" because my belly button incision especially is so sore I almost can't get up without rocking to do so, and holding my stomach and it's 9 days post-surgery. Today was the first day I could get out of the house by myself and after about four hours, I was wiped. It makes me feel so much better that others have had similar slow recoveries because I was thinking something was seriously wrong, given all the "bounce right back" anecdotes.
|

replied June 11th, 2013
I just had mine removed last Thursday and feeling good overall but belly button indecision hurts the worst. Still can't lay on side though. Haven't had gas pain too much but when I try to do too much I feel it so definitely take it easy. Dr gave me 3 weeks recovery time due my Job requiring a lot of standing and driving
|

replied March 14th, 2012
Great advice... Thank you
I'm post op 4 days. My gall bladder surgery was March 8, 2012 and I agree with everything you've said. These Doctors Telling people they'll be fine after 3 days not true. I'm glad to
Know now nothing is wrong with me after 4 days as I thought I should be good to go. No one told me about a special diet, don't take a laxative, but a stool softener would of been great to know. I'm not going to try to rush my recovery anymore and relax an rest as needed. Thank you for your post and so everyone knows, do not expect to bounce back. I've gotten more out of people's posts online than the hospital and Dr information.
|

replied March 22nd, 2012
3 days post op and life is great!
I think it just depends on the person. I had my gallbladder out on Monday March 19th, 2012 it is not March 22nd and I feel PHENOMENAL! still a little pain at the incision sites but otherwise I haven't felt this good in I don't even know how long. 3 weeks ago I went to urgent care because I was having sharp pains in my abdomen and my right shoulder and here my gallbladder had been chronically inflamed for years and it was just the breaking point. Surgery was hell I'm not going to lie the first day I didn't think I would ever feel better but each day the pain has subsided a little bit more and today I'm finally off pain killers only taking 1 motrin every four hours. I introduced solid food yesterday started off with some mashed potatoes and by today I ate a english muffin pizza and some low fat ice cream with no bad side effects. I've heard horror stories from some people about recovery but I've been very very very lucky in how fast my body has been healing its self I still get tired if I'm on my feet for a long time but I have had this whole week off to recover and each day I'm getting stronger. I'm 3 days post op and haven't felt better even with the small amount of pain from the 4 incisions.. and I have a very very very low tolerance to pain. Hang in there everyone heals differently! but my advice to others considering the surgery is GO FOR IT!!!! My motto going into surgery was scars heal gallbladders don't and I'm grateful for the pain I've felt the past several weeks because it made me go get this checked out and get it taken care of and now I have energy and excitement again! I had no idea how much pain caring around the dead weight of a crapy gallbladder was causing me until post surgery and its great to feel good again!
|

replied March 28th, 2012
I also think it varies person to person. I had my gallbladder removed on March 21st. From what I had read online, I thought I would be feel much better after only 2 days. That isn't what happened though. The first 2 days were very painful and exhausting. I had lose stools for a few days after I would eat and I have learned that my diet will probably need to change a bit in the furture. After 5 days of very low energy and having abdominal pain and the incision sights,I finally got back to normal and returned to work. I still have slight pain where the gallbladder was actually taken from and I also had a problem with feeling dizzy, which was very bothersome and is one of the problems I had when I would have an attack. That is finally starting to subside and my energy is getting better and better each day. Overall though, even with all the discomfort that has come with the surgery, it was so very worth it to know I will never have a gallbladder attack again.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
It has been almost 3 weeks since my surgery and I am still in a lot of pain when I get up and down or sit upright for to long. I have been on pain meds the whole time and now my doc has said I cannot take anymore. I went to the ER about 4 days ago because I couldn't walk without getting a sharp pain. I had a CT scan and they said it was healing great but that I have a small hernia which is not helping. I am not sleeping because I can only sleep on my back and it is so uncomfortable! I feel a pulling and burning pain and cannot bend over or take deep breaths without extreme pain. I am trying to be positive but it has taken a toll on me. I am glad to hear I am not the only one taking so long to recover I thought I was going crazy!
|

replied April 18th, 2012
take your time
Had mine out Monday. Today is Wednesday. Still very weak & tired. Ate one slice of whole wheat bread and a banana. Advise to everyone - take your time. No pain killers needed, just lots of sleep.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
take your time
Had mine out Monday. Today is Wednesday. Still very weak & tired. Ate one slice of whole wheat bread and a banana. Advise to everyone - take your time. No pain killers needed, just lots of sleep.
|

replied October 23rd, 2012
Post surgery sleeping position
I'm a side sleeper so I know how tough it is to be on your back all night. What I found is positioning a pillow under the knees and slightly pushed back towards the butt helps to relieve some of the pulling. For the first 3 nights, I also propped my upper body up a bit by using 2 pillows, the top one being longer and laying it horizontal to my body so that the bottom of it was at the small of my back. Maybe that will help others to get some additional relief while sleeping.
|

replied June 19th, 2012
Hi,
I had my gallbladder removed 2 days ago. I am in so much pain, and the meds are barely helping me. I can't move, walk and even breathing hurts. I took this week off of work to recover, but I was told as well that I would be back on my feet within a couple of days. My tummy is super bloated still from the gas, do you think this level of pain is normal?
Oh and for anyone who still has their gallbladders and are having attacks all the time, I found that Advil helped stop the attack almost everytime.
|

replied July 27th, 2012
Hi - I had gallbladder removed last Tuesday - pain is not as bad as last week but I agree that I am tired also. I had bad reaction from bandage and my incision above my belly button is red and bubbly. I found out I am allergic to latex. I am not released yet to go back to work for another week. But I feel so much better -- no more attacks which were coming more frequent with much more pain. Happy to have it removed.
|

replied October 16th, 2005
Anonymous
I will say two weeks is a good time frame, I had my galbladder out 4 weeks ago, and after about 5-6 days I was feeling well enough to go outside and drive (very little though) and by the following week I was feeling almost normal, if you have a moderately sedentary job than you'll be okay, but if your job requires you to strain yourself physically then you may need to take more time to let your body heal.
|

replied April 29th, 2012
I work for the post office so my job requires quite a bit of motion. It has been a little over a week since my gall bladder surgery. My surgeon has me scheduled to be off work for 4 weeks, however my supervisor is upset that i am not cleared for light duty assignments. I feel pretty good now. Should i go back to the doctor and request modification to my leave?
|

replied January 17th, 2013
I had mine out last Thursday and went to work for a few hours the following Monday - which was too soon for me. I stayed home the next day and then worked a full day on Wednesday. So for me, it was basically about a week. Granted I do not feel 100%, I still have the gas from surgery a little and my incisions are a little sore but that is about all I have going on at this point. I have found that walking as much as you can as soon as you are able after surgery does help get the gas out.
|

replied October 18th, 2005
Re: Recovery Time Post Gallbladder Removal?
ccorn wrote:
the majority of stories that I have heard have people going back to work the next day!! Can this be true? One lady said after her day surgery she went back to the office that afternoon for an hour. I can't say I believe this. I, for one, am a wimp. I am scheduled in a few weeks and the office I work in says you will need three days to recover. This is not what I am reading on all the web sites.

Any past experience in recovery of gall bladder removal?

i just had mine out in august. It took me a full week. I got worse after all the first two days. I am ok now but have no idea what I can eat or can't. I still feel the same after surgery.
|

replied October 18th, 2005
Post Gallbladder
Can anyone tell me why I still feel like I have my gallbladder? Same symtoms, etc......

It was removed 08/05

what is the best diet?

Thanks in advance!
|

User Profile
replied July 22nd, 2011
i had my godbladder out4 years ago still get them pain s if i drink beer its cat very sore having opertion took me months to recover id have aey any day compare to the pains with tat godbladder..
|

replied October 21st, 2011
When you feel like an organ is there, but you had it removed it is called phantom pain. The actual nerves are still intact and believe the gallbladder to be there when it isn't. The best diet post-surgery is low fat. If you can find foods that are fat free, those are best. Also, avoid any fried or spicy foods for at least two weeks. Some people can go back to their normal diet a few weeks later, but some people need to watch what they eat more closly for life. It all depends on how your body functions without the organ.
|

replied October 24th, 2005
Anonymous
Thank God....
I am so happy to have found this website I actually cried. I had my gallbladder out last wednesday. Like others who have posted, I did my research and found that a lot folks (including my own Dr.) said I could return to work that friday. Friday came and went, the weekend came and went. Here we are now, monday, and i'm still in pain. It's not excruciating, but it is in my right shoulder, at two of the incision sites and in my back. I haven't tried to drive yet, as the pulling is pretty intense sometimes on my navel incision. I am also very tired still. I try to walk around the house, and I try to go up and down the steps inside, but it wipes me out. I'm nauseaus and can't eat much either. I honestly thought I was losing my mind. How could I be so sick when folks said I should have already been back at work????!!! It was such a relief to see that others took off a week or two, and that it took that long to feel better. I am going to try to stop worrying now and concentrate on getting better instead of concentrating on why I feel so bad!

Why in the world don't the drs. Let patients in on the fact that it could be a longer recovery?? I was given no post op instructions beyond the "no lifting or driving for a week; call us if your temp goes above 100.4". I was told, in my post surgical stupor, to remove my own dressings in 48 hours. When I did, I almost passed out from the pulling pain of the surgical strips. Turns out I wasn't supposed to take those off. How, then, was I supposed to get the dressing of plastic off? Would have been nice to have had a nurse clue me in. No diet directions; no follow up instructions; no guidelines. Maybe I don't ask the right questions and should take more responsibility for my health, but I didn't know the right questions to ask.

Sorry for the vent, iam just extraordinarily relieved for the first time in five days!!!! I'm not dying....I'm recovering!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
|

replied June 7th, 2011
HI I JUST READ YOUR STORY

iM 14 HAD MY GALLBLADDER TAKEN OUT A DAY AFTER MY BIRTHDAY ALMOST TWO WEEKS AGO.

I STILL HAVE A LITTLE PAIN AND ITS STILL HARD FOR ME TO LAY ANY OTHER WAY BUT ON MY BACK BUT I HAD GOOD DOCTORS

I WAS TOLD

DONT TAKE A SHOWER INLESS YOU PUTE ON WATERPROOF BANDAGES

I HAD INCISION ON MY NAVEL CHEST UNDER MY RIGHT BREAST AND ON MY SIDE

THEY TOOK MY BANDAGES OFF THE DAY AFTER SURGERY

IF YOU STILL HAVE YOURS ON TAKE THEM OFF BECAUSE THE AIR HELPS THEM TO HEAL AND HURT LESS

ITS GOOD TO WALK EVEN THREW PAIN AND TIREDNESS I FELT THE SAME WAY BUT THE MORE I WALKED THE BETTER

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR DONT KNOW ANY TO ASK..LET ME KNOW BECAUSE I KNOW ALOT ABOUT GALL BLADDER SURGERY ECT ECT.
|

replied June 16th, 2011
I am a surgical RN who just had a laproscopic gallbladder removal 1 week ago. I KNOW what to expect and it still surprised me how sore I was and still am. My surgeon told me 7-10 days and I'd be back to work. Then I talked to some of my recovery room RN friends and they said "no way-you need 3 weeks" Well, I'm definately not going to work on Monday with the kind of physical work I do. Plus working 12 hour shifts!!
As far as post op instructions-this should have been given to you before AND after the procedure so that your healthcare team knows you understand all of it. The shoulder pain comes from the gas that is used to inflate the abdomen for the surgery. It works it's way out within 24-48 hours usually but patients have to be good about WALKING as soon as possible post op. Just slow walks around the house, (not stairs-that's too much) slow, progressive activity. Don't lay on the couch like a lump and feel sorry for yourself. Yes, it's going to hurt;. Take it easy on the pain meds, too. And take advice from an RN who sees ALOT of this-post op constipation. Buy some over the counter Senekot or Colace and take as directed. Don't eat cheeseburgers and fries, either. Your diet should be low, low fat and soft for at least a month post op.Then, a burger now and then will probably be ok. This is a good chance to lose those extra pounds!!
And you hit the nail right on the head when you said we need to take responsibility for our own health care! It's unfortunate that you didn't receive the proper instructions-that is the RNs job and obviously it wasn't done. But DO call the DRs office and ask questions. They shouldn't assume you know what you should be doing. All too often, I will give a patient discharge instructions and they hear half of what I say because it's overwhelming amt of info or they are just anxious. It's ok, though, to ask your RN giving you instructions to repeat it. And if she/he gets huffy-too bad~! Then report this behavior to a superior or if you receive a survey in the mail, fill it out and be brutally honest. That's the only way things change!
Take care and feel better. If you ever have surgery again, please don't let them push you out of the office/hospital without clear directions. Happy Recovery! LW, RN
|
Users who thank LWieland for this post: hpwilson10  kdubwand 

replied August 23rd, 2011
Thanks Nurse Wieland!! It really helped to read your blog after your own experience with this procedure! I am four days after my lap chole (gall bladder removal) and my recovery is going very well, and the past few days have been really good, and I have been making good progress - eating anything I want with no problems. But I made the mistake of taking a harsh laxative yesterday to relieve constipation, and after I had a bowel movement I felt terrible!! I called the nurse, and she told me that they don't recommend using laxatives, but rather stool softeners, as laxatives will often wipe out EVERYTHING, including the GOOD bacteria in your colon helping your digestive system. I didn't know that, and no one told me, even though, I DID listen to all of my post-op instructions, and read all of my sheets. I am also very tired today, so taking it easy, and just napping and trying not to feel guilty about that!! Anyway, thanks for your post! My nurses were great, and it sounds like you are too!!
|

replied September 25th, 2011
Off work for gallbladder
I just had my gallbladder removed on Thursday Sept. 22nd, it is now Sunday and I still haven't had a bowel movement and am not sure what I am to eat. I'm just being careful and sticking to a low-fat diet. i did too much activity on saturday and paid for it all night and on sunday have done nothing. I expect to be off work for a full week, but I also work in a hospital and walk up to 5 miles per day. I told my employer that I would need to be off for 2 weeks just in case.
|

replied October 8th, 2011
i had mine removed Sept 30 ... was discharged Oct 3 ... the next day i was doing a little housework ... my RN friend said i should stay active to avoid complications... i am writing everything down like what goes into my mouth , the no. of times i passed out stool , etc etc .... i was bloated yesterday , looking like 4 months prego ... i increased my water and fruit intake and i think that helped ..... what concerns me now is my back ... it feels sore ... Sad what should i do?
|

replied November 25th, 2011
THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH! Although, I have Not yet had My laproscopic GB (soon to be scheduled) I STILL can remember the awesome 'Shoulder Pains' from another lapraoscopy 19 years ago; 'Shoulder Pain' lasted 3 days and I was clueless (Why was this happening?) because the Scope was down around My Uterus! Simply, because No one took the time to explain it to Me. Finally, after 19 years, You've answered an almost 2 decade occasional nagging question.

Instructions: Absolutely overwhelming under those conditions, or even after a simple tooth extraction; and I always thought I was the only one who couldn't handle the listening and absortion of the given instructions! I really thought it was ONLY me! And Yes, they usually get an attitude when asked to go slower or repeat. But I still do say something, but then My anxiety becomes worse - so I still don't hear what they are saying anyway. Gosh! It's common sense. Human beings can only handle so much in stressful situations. This should be taught in Med school as most professionals don't have the time or common sense in that arena.
|

replied January 24th, 2012
Hey got a? My husband had his removed a week ago Thursday his bp dropped and he fell and blacked out is it normal to have bruisin and he feels like day one of recovery
|

replied March 28th, 2013
Hi I am 9 days post op gb and gs removal,moderate pain in stomache,but have cold feet and calf pain is this normal,also my stomache is making really weird noises.
|

replied October 24th, 2005
I had my gallbladder out last tuesday, I too went through the same thing. I swore that the dr screwed up, that something was severely wrong cause I wasn't healing and I was still in pain. I was sooo relieved to see this forum, that real people don't heal in 2 days from this.

I have another question. I have one of the incisions that still bleeds a bit. Especially after shower or at night if I roll over on my side. Has anyone else had this happen? I haven't taken the steri-strips off yet, but they don't look good. The blood on them doesn't seem to wash off in the shower. The other 3 incisions the steri-strips have been cleaned up. It doesn't hurt too much but the bleeding is concerning me a bit.
|

replied October 25th, 2005
Mich, maybe book in to see a nurse & have that incision looked at. She will be able to take the dressings off, clean it up & re-dress it for you. I had my gb removed a little under 3 weeks ago. I am still a little sore in the region of my incision (in the middle under my ribcage) and under my right ribcage. It still feels a little 'pully'. I have a dissolvable stitch in there, which is still causing me a bit of discomfort. I must say though, that I was very worried & went to the drs last thursday (2 wks post surgery) because everyone kept saying 'you'll be back to normal after a week' & I was very uncomfortable & getting very sore by the end of the day. She basically told me, that some people just take longer to heal on the inside & checked that there was no infection lurking anywhere. So dont be disheartened or worry, if it is taking you longer to heal. Take more time off work, do some regular stretching and walking & you will get there eventually :o)
|

replied November 4th, 2005
Anonymous
Gallbladder Removal
It sure feels good to see that others did not heal in 2 days, and then go back to work. I thought I was a wimp, but i've had 5 children, and I knew that I wasn't a wimp. I just took a little longer to heal.

I feel great, though. I thank god that I can handle pretty much so any food that I eat. I do not feel as bad as I did before the surgery (i had it approximately 2 weeks ago).

I still feel tired, though, but I think that when you teach and have 5 children, you get worn out so much faster. I also found out the hard way that I am still not strong enough to climb up and down on counters. I hurt my back, because after the surgery, the core of your body is not as strong. Take my word for it, just stay on level land for a while.

I feel great, though, and I hope that everyone else recovers quickly and is back to normal soon.
|

replied November 5th, 2005
I'm on day 9 and still can't move too well also I still have 2 of the wound sites steri stripped they came off yesterday but 2 of them were gaping wounds the surgeon didn't put me back together to well :shock: I still have difficulty getting up and down and cant bend good job my 3 kids can pretty much get themselves sorted out in the mornings,i cant sneeze because it pretty much makes me cry and it's a nightmare coughing although a cushion does help a little,i've had many ops before and I feel like a wimp because I still cant get up and go,nut at least I can now eat without being in agony so I suppose that is one thing to be grateful for,i'm so glad i'm not the only one who thinks the doctors view of returning to normal with in days is basically rubbish,it's a major op no matter which way you have it,the only difference I have found is I have a smaller scar (i have a friend who had the same op done a few months back and she seemed to recover better than me and hers was open not lap!)
|

replied April 2nd, 2011
I just had mine out yesterday, and am happy to here a little bleeding is normal, I was sick shortly after I came home and I think it caused a little bleeding in the top right insision. I had a c-section 20 months ago and flew through recovery, my doctor was shocked at how fast I healed. So I had preety high hopes for this surgery especially since your in and out the same day but so far I feel way worse, I think its the air they pump in you Sad
|

replied November 15th, 2005
Anonymous
I had my gallbladder out 8 days ago. 2 days ago I was bent over cleaning and had a horrible pain where my gallbladder used to be. Has anyone else done this?

It still hurts and I wonder if I tore something inside. I go to see the surgeon tomorrow for a follow up so we will see.

The first 2 days after the surgery I felt great and was up doing light house work. I think I overdid it, the next 2 days I had a fever and felt really bad! I am better now other than the pain from bending over on sunday.
|

replied November 16th, 2005
You probably just pulled on the clips they use to close off where your gb used to be, or just pulled on something. 8 days isnt that long ago & you will take longer to heal internally. Mention it to the surgeon at the follow up, to make sure you havent done any damage, but I am sure you'll be fine
|

replied November 16th, 2005
I am 5 days post op and I have to say it has been a lot easier than I thought it would be, I was in a bit of discomfort when I came home from the hospital, and needed help getting out of bed the first few days but now I am feeling better day by day, I did have bit of drainage from my belly button inscision and really only have discomfort from the inscision straight up from my belly button.. Not nearly as bad as I thought..

I am very gassy and hope that goes away soon, but I have not been nearly as nauseated as I was before the surgery, and no pain in my back or shoulder blades..

So far so good, I go back to the dr tommrrow for my first follow up and hope she says things are normal..

If things keep going this well, the surgery was so worth it...

Also I have not taken any pain pills since day 2 cause they make me sick to my stomach and I am moving around and not in really any pain just uncomfortable...Good luck to everyone dealing with this...
|

replied November 17th, 2005
Hi
I had my gb out in 1990, I was one if the first in my city to get it out the belly button. I had a wonderful surgeon. You need to do your research on the Dr. I know people who have had a terrible time and those who have not. It depends on the bowel clean out the days before and how much gas is used in the poceedure. I was on my feet that day and moved cross country the next week with 3 kids and a husband. It did not clear me on all the pain though. The next year I had a stint put in my bile duct to keep it from collapsing. I think the recovery depends on the person and how your body recovers. Good luck!
|

replied November 17th, 2005
Well i'm on the 3rd week I could've done with a follow up but my surgeon didn't want one ,i'm still very sore when I cough or sneeze and turn I guess I just need patience,but one good thing I am starting to eat properly again,i was terrified of having anything but I ate the one thing that hospitalized me (cheeses on toast) and it was good no pain nothing so I feel good in a way.
|

replied August 28th, 2006
Wow I Guess We Are Not Alone...
Hi there, well I had surgery over a month ago now, and well i'm still not back to work, my husband is freaking out.. Got to pay the bills you know.. And well I was under the assumptions as well that you can go back to work in a few days.. Well my issue is, since the surgery, every time I eat, I end up in the bathroom either vomiting or have diarrhea... Oh my god.. It is driving me nuts, how are you supposed to go to work, when ever 2 hours you are in the bathroom for an hour. I tried going back part time, and well it was still uncomfortable. I have had some incision pain, put not alot.
My main issues, are excessive gas, bloating, and diarrhea and vomiting.
I have went to the doctors and they say, "well it's normal until your body gets used to not having a gallbladder to disperse the bile.." wish I would have known this..
I wish I would have been more prepared with the post surgery issues...
I am glad to hear others are having problems as well. I would like to know if anyone out there has figured out a diet or some kind of resolution to this problem..
My boss is very impatient with the recovery and stress probably isn't helping.
I would like to know what to eat, not eat, or even when not to eat..
Help...
Anyone.. And like others have said, it would be nice for someone to have told us from the start.. My doctor told me the day after surgery, "back to your regular diet...." well that didn't work and neither did, just liquids, so semi soft foods, doesn't matter what I eat, it comes back up or out..
The greasier the faster .. Of course..
Thanks for hearing my story...
|

replied September 8th, 2006
Hi, I really hope people are still visiting this site as replies seem old, anyway here goes, I had my gallbladder removed on 6th december 05 and although in post op pain was glad to see the back of it, however the pain I felt at after op, i.E cant lie on my side and stitch like pain [after running kind] has just got worse and worse over the last few months, im a carer with the elderly so I am lifting or carrying shopping every day and it makes it worse, ive been on holiday recently for 2 weeks and I had the pain once, now back at work its killing me, anyone else suffering??
|

replied September 12th, 2006
Gallbladder Recovery Time
I had my gallbladder out laproscopically and would have been o.K. To go back to work within a week, but had a complication - a stone stuck in my bile duct. Due to this, I was rushed to emergency, had to have an ercp (removal of stone) and was in the hospital for 3 more days.

I can relate to the person who posted above, as I now have the classic "dumping syndrome", even 3 months post-surgery, where I get tummy rumblings and diarrhea after eating (and I eat very low fat, due to my also having reflux). Surgeon prescribed "questran" for me, which is a powder you put in water or juice. It works the day I take it, so I take it only when necessary, per my surgeon.

Wondering if anyone else has/had the dumping syndrome and how long it took them to shake it.

Lori
|

replied July 6th, 2012
That's exactly what I have and dumping is the perfect word for it! I'm two weeks post op and surgeon put me on the powder, too, but I have only taken it once since I am at home recovering. I am sure when I go back to work I will have to take it more often. I have been trying to eat low carb and think when I eat carbs my bowels are better. Am also doing low fat or no fat. I just hope I will get over this one day!
|

replied September 12th, 2006
I had my gallbladder removed yesterday at 7:30 am pacific. It was done laproscopically (not sure of spelling - - apparently anesthesia makes you forget how to spell - ha ha)

all I remember is being really scared, the anesthesia person being late and couldn't find a "20cc" (?) and not being able to breathe. From what I can piece together I had an asthma attack as I was going under cause I woke up with lots of oxygen, a medication machine treatment and was given an inhaler and sent home with the groggy memory of instructions as all groggily mentioned above.

But even without the asthma episode, which was odd since I only have extremely mild adult onset asthma and use an inhaler once every 4 months, I do not believe I will be going back to work tomorrow. Again ha ha.

Everything from my elbows up to the top of my neck by the base of my skull is in pain on the inside. When I lay, I can only lay on my back with no pillows. I've slept on a mattress on the floor for years. My body (and back) got accustomed to it while traveling for extended visits to the orient so much, so you'd think I wouldn't have a problem.

But now i'm thinking I should have purchased a western style bed. Takes me a good 15 minutes to get up and my arm and thigh muscles are killing me from using them instead of my stomach muscles.

But on the positive side, if I could only use my calfs, legs, head, not breathe in too much and not eat (can't figure out why my throat is so sore), i'd be fine. I will admit, a lot of the pain is probably unecessary, cause I don't take prescription painkillers.

But I said all that intensely personal stuff to say that my symptoms before the removal were far worse. There was a constant nausea, pain, vomitting and diareaha within minutes after I ate. After a colonoscopy and endoscopy, which both showed only minor things that should not have caused the symptoms, the gallbladder and subsequent stones were thought to be contributory if not the cause.

I can tell thru the muscular aches that the other pain and the nausea are gone. Can only assume the diareaha is gone since i've eaten some eggs and toast this morning without the running screaming to the bathroom. Of course, maybe my colon hasn't woke up yet too.

I too fell for the...Oh it'll only take you a couple of days story from someone (not being stereotypical here but...) a man who had a wife and kids to wait on him hand and foot and who's job is sitting all day in an upscale lobby cause this is his "thing he does since he's retired."

its just possible that the 2-3 dayers have a lifestyle that allows them not only physical rest and comfort but mental comfort also. Or I could be wrong. Maybe i'm just whiney cause I hurt and he didn't. (smiles) good luck everyone and with that I will spend the next 15 minutes trying to lay down again and get some rest.
|

replied September 18th, 2006
Recovery Time For Gallbladder Surgery
I have been reading over some of the replys. I had my surgery last thursday, 9-14. The surgery went well, had to stay in the hospital until 6:00pm and had the surgery at 9:45. The pain was a little more than I anticipated. I slept, the next day and by saturday I was up and about. I'm not sure what to eat. I still have pain in my shoulder(s) and back at times and my stomach. Tylenol helps a little. Does anyone else get the pain in the back? It's more of an ache. I tire easily and on occasion I have diarehea. I'm thinking of going back to work next week. I am a secretary at our local middle school. I also get a left side stitch on occasion. Anyone else?
|