Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Funny Inward Bumps/pock Marks On My Nails..?

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Hi,

does anyone know what is causing these weird pock marks in my nails? Each nail is beginning to grow a very bumpy surface, the only way I can describe it is mini craters - like the surface of the moon only miniature!! It sounds strange but i'm telling the truth! There are no ridges either horizontal or vertical and they are no more brittle or peeling than normal. In fact prior to this beginning I had very strong healthy nails. I have recently started a pretty stressful job (teaching) and I did have an accident with my ring finger nail where the nail was pulled away from the nail bed. That seems to be on the mend now though.

What is causing these horrible inward bumps and what can I do to stop them?

Thanks!

Miss t
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 16th, 2005
Actually I changed my mind. It's more the texture of orange peel. I've certainly never seen it before on anyone else.
|

replied December 4th, 2005
I still haven't found out and my nails have been growing like this for months now! :cry:

i'm hoping that by bumping this post back to the top of the forum someone new will see it and know what's wrong. The other day I was painting with the children (i'm a teacher) and the paint started to stick to the indentations giving my nails a blue dalmation pattern. The children were horrified - "urgh! Miss! What's happened to your fingers?"!
|

replied November 10th, 2009
A nail injury?
From http://sweat-talk.blogspot.com/2007/05/nai l-bed-irregularities-should-you-be.html I found this info:

"If your nails have dents, you should not usually be concerned, as they simply indicate a nail injury that is growing out."

My nails - middle and ring finger on both hands - started growing like that when I had a baby 4 months ago.

???
|

replied November 10th, 2009
On http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articl epage.aspx?cp-documentid=100182635 it says:

"The pits
When the normally smooth surface of the fingernail has several small dents or pits in it, that can be a signal that something is going on beneath the nail. Most often, the cause of those dents is psoriasis. The inflammatory skin condition—it shows up as red, scaly patches on the skin—can also affect the skin cells in the nails. Instead of growing out smoothly, the surface of the nail takes on a dented appearance. Once the psoriasis is treated and under control, nails will slowly return to normal. (Since nails only grow about a millimeter per week, it will take a few months for the old, pitted nail to fully grow out and be replaced with a healthy one.)"

But I don't have any hint of psoriasis.

???
|

replied October 20th, 2012
According to my nutritionist horizontal ridges and pocks are due to stress, when stressed or ill nails stop growing temporarily, creating ridges on the surface.. Picks can also indicate an underlying infection in the body. Destress for pretty nails;)
|

replied December 12th, 2012
Nail pitting (craters)
Could also indicate a lack of Calcium or high stress. Best to see your skin/nail doctor for your particular case.
|
Tags: skin
Quick Reply