Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo And Spotting...?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Hey there...Hopefully I can get some feedback on this...

I started taking bc about 6 months ago...Went to planned parenthood because it's cheaper and such. I was taking cyclessa (which is a brand i've never really heard of anyone taking!) for 2 months. It became unavailable to them, so pp sent me ortho tri lo.

I'm in my second month of ortho, and my second week of pills. A few days ago, I experienced some cramping, as if I were to start my period. And the past couple of days, I have been spotting a little. Not much at all though.

Last night I had sex with my boyfriend and well, let's just say it turned out not-so-pleasant :( I know spotting can come with the pill, but I find it kind of odd that it's happening in the second month of me taking it. Maybe it's normal but I just want it to stop...Has this happened to anyone else?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper youcantbeme
|

replied October 21st, 2005
I'm Having the Same Thing!
Hey, same prob. Here.....Ive been on ortho lo for over a year now so I was really worried I was experiencing something else. This is what happened to me:
sunday night I had sex, the next morning is when I noticed blood. So I immediately thought I hurt something. I figured it would go away, then it became darker in color and I got a little worried...Tues, still bleeding. So I went to the doctor (planned parenthood) and I explained everything. She asked if I was taking it at the same time every day ( everyday 10pm!) and if I was experiencing any other side effects. (nope!) so she said it was normal, and then asked if I was consuming a lot of vitamin c because it can contribute to bleeding, and lately ive been drinking a lot of oj b.C its all that was in my house! (haha) so now its kinda like light brownish discharge. Im still kinda worried but no pains or anything, so hopefully everything will be ok once I get m period! If u wanna talk about this more, email me. Hopefully I helped to make u feel a little better :)
|

replied October 21st, 2005
If this is only your second month of the pill you are fine, breakthough bleeding in the first 3 months on bc is normal. I didn't have it but most of my friends who are on bc did.
|

replied June 1st, 2009
Help?
I'm on my first month, and within the first week of taking the pills, I thought I started my period. The discharge was extremely dark and mucousy, and has been going on for thirteen days.I'm nervous, should I call the doctor?
|

replied June 7th, 2009
Im having the same problem and i dont like it im reading these reviews but i think i will call the doctor. I had my cycle and did the normal spotting after and then a week later i started spotting again i dont know whats going on. I need help!
|

replied June 7th, 2009
Irregular bleeding may not be due to the pills. You may want to be checked for a sexually transmitted infection.

Tina,RN
|

replied January 17th, 2010
i have the same thinggggg o.o
I've been on it for a little less then a year. And one random morning there was some blood. This was over a week ago. And it'll stop for half the day, and continue to happen the rest of it. It first started really light, and randomly will be a bit brown but other then that it's really mucousy. Is that why they want to do a check up after a year of being on B.C?
|

User Profile
replied February 3rd, 2010
orthotricyclen-lo and spotting
i have been taking orthotricyclen-lo for about 6 months. i was taking yasmin and it made me a crazy person. ortho is working fine but i had my period as usual and began taking my month of birth control. after 3 weeks of taking my bc pills i started spotting..my period isnt due for another 10 days. i have been with my boyfriend for 6 years and we already have 2 boys. but why i am spotting...brown discharge for 2 days..then it went away.......then it came back light red...and now nothing! what the hell do i do. i do not want another child considering i already have 2 children and i am only 23! could i be pregnant?.....we do not use condoms because we are eachothers only sex partners and have been for 6 years. i would hate to spend money on a pregnancy test and scare the hell out of my boyfriend if someone else is having problems related to mine. please help! im freaking out! please no more babies!
|

replied February 3rd, 2010
that was like my problem... and I didn't turn out to be pregnant. Very Happy Man was i happy, it's probably because you change B.C
|

replied July 22nd, 2010
I am on my first month of ortho tri cyclen lo and I have been expericing the brown discharge too. I noticed it after one of my soccer practices and it was pretty heavy and muscy. then it lightened up. When I play soccer it gets heavier and when I have sex it gets heavier. sometimes there is blood so I have to use a tampon. but it ha lightened up but it has been happening for about two weeks. I'm nervous I won't get my period like I normally do. I am supposed to get in 2-5 days. any advice?
|

replied July 30th, 2010
spotting while on tricyclen lo
I went on my first month of ortho tri cyclen lo and everything was fine until 3 weeks in. I began spotting a dark brown mucousy discharge. This lasted until my period. I then had a normal period and afterwards I was weary of taking the pills anymore.

My boyfriend recently came back from vacation so I once again began to try my pills in hopes it would be better. I began taking the pills on the first day of my period as it says to do when starting. I went through my period like normal and thought it was light and then end, instead I have had another week of the dark brown discharge. I've since stopped taking the pills as this has never happened before and I am slightly worried.

Will I be getting this discharge for the entire month until my next period?

Please help.
|

replied September 22nd, 2010
Orthotricyclen Lo and thick Brown Discharge?
I am having a problem with the thick brown discharge . I have been on ortho lo for 3 months now. the first month was fine. I had my period like normal. I started the 2nd month on time and took it the same time every day.. I started spotting about a week into that month. But my spotting is usually the light pink (like watered down blood). This spotting was dark brown and really thick. It lasted about two days and went away. The doc said it would be normal to have spotting the first month or two so I didnt think much of it.
After That month ended I didnt start my period for over a week. I talked to the doc and she said just take a preg test and if neg take my next pack or ortho low on schedule. I took 3 preg test and all were neg.

on the 10th day I started my period (3 days after I started taking my new pack). It wasnt like a normal period. It was really thick and brown and looked just like the spotting I had before. It was really light (i didnt even need a panty liner) and lasted 3 days. I have never had a period like this. It stopped for about a week and I spotted for another day. after that month was over I started my period on schedule but again it was the thick dark brown spotting but it was very light. It lasted 3 days and was gone. I just started on my 4th pack and I just noticed I am spotting the same thick brown stuff again. What is happening to me! This is not normal for me. I have always had light periods but the discharge was always healthy and normal looking. I dont have any std. My husband and I have been together for 6 years and neither of us have strayed. We don't have kids yet. One doctor went as far as telling me that this is my body saying it is ready for kids(ridiculous). I am really thinking about going back to the patch even tho it caused insanely painful cramping for me. ok im just being a woman now they werent that insane. But I never had cramps before the patch and I havent had cramps since.
But I havent had any diet/medicaton changes and havent been any more stressed than the usual (which isnt too much stress at all)

CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY BODY!?
|

replied September 29th, 2010
Ortho-tricylen lo, dark spotting heavy discharge for over a week
I started taking my pills for the first time at the beginning of this month(the sunday after my last period like instructed, which happened to be the next day.) two sundays ago i started spotting dark brown mucousy discharge and i though it was my period. it wasnt my period and i had cramping like a normal period for an entire week. the dark brown discharge lasted up until i started my actual period(monday). i started later in the day and i had been spotting dark brown all that day. I'm taking the pills to help with my cramps and i'm still a virgin so the spotting isn't normal to me. Everything i've been reading says its normal, but to the women who have been experiencing this longer than 3 months it concerns me. i don't want these pills to keep me spotting and cramping the entire month. i hate my period, it's depressing. I'm almost ready to stop taking them and just get my body back to normal. anyone who has any advice on what i should do please let me know. Oh and my actual period started on time.
|

replied February 22nd, 2011
Thick, Dark Brown Discharge on Ortho-Tricylen
I've also been taking ortho-tricylen lo. I took it for one month and it was completely normal. I stopped after that month due to the expenses of it.

I went to planned parenthood and go the same birth control (ortho-tricylen), and started at the end of my period (as the doctor instructed me to) and a few days into taking the pills I had a thick dark brown discharge. This was normal due to the fact it was the end of my period.

It went away for a few days then came back again. I now have been taking it for 2 weeks and still have this brown discharge! Which is very abnormal for me.

I would really love to get rid of this! Please, any help?
|

replied July 31st, 2011
Spotting or Implantation Bleeding on Ortho?? Pregnant??
OK, so I obviously have a similar problem, hence the reason for being on this forum. I am on ortho tricyclen lo as well. A few days ago I had pink discharge turning to brown then bright red the next day and now brown. So 2 1/2 days now. The only thing Im concerned about is that I may be prego. Boobs hurt, peeing a LOT, so tired, and emotional. Threw up yesterday and got nausea this morning. The reason Im so worried is because of the impeccable timing. This spotting occurred 6 DPO and I have 8days until my period. You tell me if you had the rest of the symptoms along with all your spotting. I think I'm pregnant, took ept today but negative ghost rider. But this is only my 2nd or 3rd day of possible IB. Just how far of a stretch is it to actually be pregnant on BC???
|

replied July 31st, 2011
Spotting or Implantation Bleeding on Ortho?? Pregnant??
OK, so I obviously have a similar problem, hence the reason for being on this forum. I am on ortho tricyclen lo as well. A few days ago I had pink discharge turning to brown then bright red the next day and now brown. So 2 1/2 days now. The only thing Im concerned about is that I may be prego. Boobs hurt, peeing a LOT, so tired, and emotional. Threw up yesterday and got nausea this morning. The reason Im so worried is because of the impeccable timing. This spotting occurred 6 DPO and I have 8days until my period. You tell me if you had the rest of the symptoms along with all your spotting. I think I'm pregnant, took ept today but negative ghost rider. But this is only my 2nd or 3rd day of possible IB. Just how far of a stretch is it to actually be pregnant on BC???
|

replied September 8th, 2011
I have been on Ortho Try Cyclen for about two years, and the last night I experienced some spotting, and it hasn't stopped since. It's a brown/red color. I'm only in my second week of the pack, but I forgot to take the pills for about three days. Do you think this could have anything to do with the discharge?
|

replied November 24th, 2011
i have been on ortho lo for over a year and have just recently experienced spotting about two weeks after my period ended. it was thick and light brown...there wasn't much of it at all, it went away as soon as i wiped and i didnt see it until the next day. it appeared the next day, but again only a tiny bit and i haven't seen it since. i take my pill everyday at the same time...it's about a week before my period...i'm kind of freaking out thinking i could be pregnant!
someone help please!
|

replied December 9th, 2011
I have been on Ortho Lo for nearly 2 years now, I've gotten some spotting before, but it was after I had been on it for a while. I usually get my period the tuesday of the non active pills. I am on the light blue pills now and yesterday (Thursday) I had some spotting. It was light red, went to brown, and then back to red. And its been on and off all through out today too. I take my pill at the same time everyday. I don't know if its just due to stress (which has happened before), rough sex, or just break thorough bleeding. Is this normal? Also, I have been with my Fiance for 3 years, and we have been each others only sex partners. Some feedback would be appreciated.
|