Medical Questions > Relationships > Relationships and Marriage Forum

My Boyfriend Is Now My Brother!!!!!

It sounds horrible I know! I want to know if I am over reacting and how should I handle this situation.--i have been with my boyfriend for 6 yrs. Both of our parents have been divorced. My dad has been re-married and divorced the same has also happened with my boyfriends mom. 2 and1/2 years ago my dad was introduced to my boyfriends mom while she was visiting us. Not even a month later we found out that they had been writing and talking to each other daily. Soon after that they were very close and tried to hide their feelings because they felt they were in the wrong because of my boyfriend and i. My dad talked to me about how I felt and he said he wouldn't be any more than friends with her if that is what I wanted. I was happy for my dad because he was happy being with her and he had been so depressed from his last marriage. I told him it didn't bother me and I didn't care. Well now they are getting married and I am deep down inside furious! I never thought it would get this serious and I never imagined that they would get married before my boyfriend and i! I have mixed feelings about my relationship with my boyfriend now-what if we were to split up? We still will have to go to the same family functions-or, what if our parents got divorced? We would have to pick sides and oh my gosh!!!!Who knows what will happen! I just feel like my life is completely off track now and don't know what to do! Help!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 23rd, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Ohh. I'm sorry you have to go through this. How old are you? As long you aren't so young that you and your 'brother' would have to live together as siblings, it's really not a big deal. It may be frustrating to explain for the rest of your lives (if you plan on getting married or whatever), but that's life.

Me and my husband are different races and people have asked me if our children are mine when I am alone with them in public. I get angry sometimes, b/c people can be so ignorant, but that's life. I will have to deal with this forever I suppose. Unless, my girls start to look more like me one day *praying!!*.

I'm not sure what exactly you're upset about, but if it's what other people think...You've got a life time of other's opinions to deal with. Do what's right and what makes you happy. I hope it works out for you.
|

replied October 25th, 2005
Meh. I knew two girls whose parents both did the same thing. They both ended up dating/sleeping with their step-brothers. Water under the bridge. Just as long as you're okay with it and he's okay with it - then who cares what other people think? You're not blood related. :) cheers.
|

replied August 20th, 2009
its absolutely nothing to feel so overbearing about...
babe i know you might be feeel so weird and all but honestly i think its fine. at the end of the day as long as you know you're not blood related its fine. infact its perfectly healthy. just becuase your dad and his mom get married doesnt make you REAL brothers and sisterss. in fact once you ( if you want too) get married to your boyfriend, it was slacken the stress on both of you. some insensative assholes may pass some dumb remarks but who cares about them when at the end of the day you're with someone who you love-which is perfectly normal and beautiful. goood luck:)
|

replied December 11th, 2009
Honestly sweetie, i cannot possibly understand the situation, but it might not be so bad. You and your bf are not related in any way, your parents are happy. It might be a little weird to get your head around, but if your happy with your guy, i don't think you should let this get in the way.
|
Quick Reply