Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

sharp stabbing pain in the side of my neck

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I was walking into my living room and all of a sudden I felt a sharp stabbing pain in the side of my neck. I have no idea what caused it, I wasn't moving fast or turning my head. I felt pain throbbing on the side of my neck and tried to turn my head and couldn't. I panicked and knelt down on the floor right away. I felt light headed like I was going to black out. I layed still (on my stomach) for about 15 min before I tried moving. I relaxed a little and then tried to get up. I could not lift my head off the ground. I also felt pain on my top shoulder and down my arm. I was on my florr for a good half hour before I rolled over and held the back of my head with my hand and managed to get up. I was in pain for a long time and not able to turn my head one way and tilt it back. It has now been 8 hours sinced it has happened. I can move my head around slowly and I still have some pain and stiffness. Is this common or is it somthing I should have checked out?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 21st, 2005
Whoa that same thing happened to me like 1month ago I was just ready to go to school and when I was going to get up from the couch my neck made this cracking sound and it hurt really sharp and then I couldn't move it at all. I got really scared and went to bed and just layed down for like half an hour until I had some courage to get up and it hurt like a mother. Anyways most of that day I didn't do anything I didn't even try to move my neck. I think it didn't stop totally hurting for like 1 week and a half but I am fine now. I didn't do anything I think it just went away by itself
|

replied November 3rd, 2005
Gettintg Checked Out
I have been diagnosed with degenerative disk disease. I am a 23 year old female. I only fell one time and now my neck hurts all the time and my lower back. My neck gets sharp pains in it all the time. I have noticed that sleeping with a little pillow under your neck at night or while driving using a pillow that wraps around your neck will put pressure on it and it stops hurting. When I was growing up I never had a pain in the world. I am from nebraska, I lifted hay bails all day every day during the summer. I played sports. Now I am in the army and I have problems getting out of bed sometimes. You should really get it looked at if you have not done so already. It could be serious. Do you get numbness going down your legs or arms? I do and it sucks big time.
|

replied August 6th, 2006
Cervical Stenosis
Have any of you been checked by a osteopedic surgeon? It could be cervical stenosis - a condition of the narrowing of the cervical spine which causes pressure on the nerves resulting in pain in the neck, arms back and legs. It also causes numbness and/or tingling in the hands, arms and/or legs. It is a very serious condition and can be diagnosed with an mri. I have it. It's a normal process of aging and is usually diagnosed in patients of 60 or more, however, as in my case, it can be caused by trauma to the neck - like a car accident or a bad fall. The symptoms don't usually present themselves until years later... Headaches or even migraines, tingling of the fingers and/or arms, lower back pain and pain radiating in the legs. The bad news is, it can lead to full or partial paralysis. Surgery can help but is recommended as only a last resort since any surgery to the cervical spine can and does quite often, lead to total paralysis anyway. For me, the surgery is absolutely out!
|

replied August 9th, 2006
I sounds like you have a serious need to go and get an examination of your neck. I am a director of rehabilitation and an occupational therapist. My staff and I treat this condition all the time. It does appear that you have some sort of arthritic condition happening in your neck, perhaps from an old trauma (car accident, wrestling, falling off your bike). The condition appears over a period of many years with resulting changes in your spine, especially your neck, and some disc malalignment. I would suggest seeing a doctor of osteopathic medicine (osteopath) as a primary care physician and having him/her refer for testing and potential spinal adjustment and therapy. Feel free to contact me with more questions about this
|

replied March 28th, 2008
I'm currently seeing a chiropractor, he said that there was nothing to worry about when I was being treated for my third car accident after a 15 foot fall with minor scrapes.

Recently I've been feeling some rubbing in my neck, and it started to get worse, now it's a sharp stabbing pain a at about the third part down from the top one I'm able to feel on the back right side of my neck.
|

replied September 19th, 2009
I had a simalair thing happen to me about 7 years ago. When i woke up one morning to go to school i felt a click in my neck and then about a second later a massive load of pain, couldnt move my neck to one side to. I went to the doctor and he told me i had slipped a disc in my neck. I wore a neck brace for about a week i was good after that.

Id go get it checked out tho as i aint a doctor but it sounds like a slipped disc to me.

Ryan
|

replied November 8th, 2012
Neck pain
The same thing happened to me just this morning. I climbed in the back of my brothers truck and all of the sudden i got a very intense pain in the right side of my neck. I just layed there and had to keep my head in a certain position if i tried to move the pain would be too much to handle. I finally was able to get up but I had to hold my head I was unable to put any strain on my neck. That was about three hours ago, it feels alot better now but it still hurts quite a bit and I have to keep my head in a certain position to stay out of pain. I have had kinks in my neck before but this feels so much more painful. I'm getting kinda scared now. About 5 or 6 years ago I was working on a framing crew and a truss got dropped on the back of my head while I was bending over nailing a wall together. I remember after that happened feeling a strain in my neck for about a week or so but nothing too bad. I wonder if I messed my neck up that day and didn't know it. I didn't go to the hospital and get checked out after the truss fell on me.
|

replied May 16th, 2013
Spinal Stenosis
I have to agree with suepmills, this is probably a stenosis most of what she/he says is correct. (the diagnosis) surgery for cervical stenosis can be risky, depending on the number of levels and fusions done.
However I know several people that have had complete success with one level
Cervical discectomy and fusion surgery.
I would go as soon as you can and see a neurologist/neurosurgeon, if you wait it will only get worse if it is Cervical stenosis. Surgery should always be the last resort. You are the one who knows how much pain you can stand, before opting for surgery. On the other hand, if it is just a pinched nerve, chiropractic manipulation mught be all you need. An mri can tell you.
Good luck, and God bless.
|

replied March 9th, 2014
my wife gets pain in her back portion of her head continued to the neck what is the cause and remedy
|