Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Constipation...

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hi,
i've been suffering from mild to severe constipation for about 3 months now. My doctor keeps telling me to be patient and stick with my regular laxative and watch my diet but i'm going nuts...
Anyone have any advice? What have you taken?
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 18th, 2005
Experienced User
For constipation I take citrucel. I usually take it once a day. But you must drink plenty of water daily because it can constipate you. You shouldnt take a laxative for too long. Its not healthy.
|

replied October 18th, 2005
Natural Laxatives Then?
Yeah - I heard over using some laxatives is bad.
Friend of mine told me about a natural one - dried fruit or something that did him good. Fruttasan I think it was called.
Anyone heard about it?
|

replied December 11th, 2005
Use pyhilliam husk it is a natural soulubal fiber. Take it one a day (a tsp with a big glass of water) it will keep you from getting constipated. You can get it at the bulk food store or a heath store
|

replied December 11th, 2005
Use pyhilliam husk it is a natural soulubal fiber. Take it one a day (a tsp with a big glass of water) it will keep you from getting constipated. You can get it at the bulk food store or a heath store
|

replied December 13th, 2005
Metamucil contains psyllium husk as the active ingredient. It is the number one doctor and pharmacist recommended fibre supplement/bulk fibre laxative and is excellent for constipation.

Free samples are available for those in america. Check out metamucil from stomach-fitness.Com

jocathy
|

Medamucil is ok but it has to many much other stuff in it that you don't need. Use the husk on it own. It is the pure form of fiber.
|

Medamucil is ok but it has to many much other stuff in it that you don't need. Use the husk on it own. It is the pure form of fiber.
|

replied February 7th, 2006
Some Probiotics Can Help With Constipation
My wife takes a probiotic supplement called maximum defense and it has greatly helped her with her constipation; she has regular bowel movements now and she has been taking it for almost a year. Also my mother-inlaw takes it as she had a portion of her small intestines removed and suffered from indigestion and constipation. It has also helped her immensely... It is also natural so you do not have to worry about side effects and all of that like with laxatives. If you do a google or yahoo search you can find it by searching for maximum defense probiotic. Good luck in your search for an answer :d
|

replied February 24th, 2006
Five fruits and vegetables a day might help. It seems like a lot if you aren't used to it, but it should clear you right out.
|