Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Floic Acid

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hey girls, I just read an article about folic acid. Actually I have been hearing about it more and more. They say it is good to take folic acid while trying to become pregnant and being pregnant. My sister went and bought me some a couple of days ago, I haven't opened the bottle yet but i'm going to. I read the article on msn.Com
it is supposed to decrease the chance of spinal problems in your baby in the first trimester and also stimulate brain cells. It said something like 70 percent decrease.

Just thought you should know, has anyone heard that also?

T~
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 13th, 2005
Experienced User
Folic Acid
It's supposed to decrease the chances of a lot of other defects as well. They do suggest that you take them sometimes months before trying to conceive. Also, if you're drinking, smoking, or doing other drugs (or if the daddy is) it's best to stop that months before the baby is conceived to eliminate the chances of defects.
|

User Profile
replied October 14th, 2005
Community Volunteer
Folic acid is very important while pregnant.
|

Experienced User
400 Mg Or 800 Mg?
Good morning :lol:

they say to take them along with the prenantle vitamins because as of right now there is not enough in them. So I have started taking them in the morning with breakfast. It also says to take them with a meal. I looked more into it because there are 400 mg and 800 mg pills. The article I have read says to take 400 mg a day but no more then 800 mg a day. So I guess what ever you feel is right for you huh?

T~

ps the spell check doesn't work that good for really crapy spellers like myself! :lol:
|

Extremely eHealthy
I have spinal condition called spina biffida occulta, and if my mom had enough folic acid when I was in her womb, I would not have this condition--spina biffida also which is much more severe than I have.

I have heard to take before pregnancy--and during--id talk to your dr about how much.
|

Experienced User
fatfamily02 wrote:
i have spinal condition called spina biffida occulta, and if my mom had enough folic acid when I was in her womb, I would not have this condition--spina biffida also which is much more severe than I have.

I have heard to take before pregnancy--and during--id talk to your dr about how much.

how much stuff do you have awrong with you??
|

Experienced User
400 Or 800?
I think it's like if you're taking prenatal vitamins that don't have any in it, then take the 800, but if you're taking vitamins that contain folic acid, then only take the 400. It's like if you're taking a daily a-to-z vitamin, you don't take a vitamin c supplement as well if it already has 100% of your vitamin c, in that one "little" caplet.
|

Experienced User
I am taking prenatal, so only take the 400 mg as well?

Thanks,

t~
|

Experienced User
Uhm...?
I'm not sure, that was sort of a guess. But you can check your vitamins to see if it has any folic acid in it already. I'll know more about this stuff when (if) my sister goes through with her appointments and such.
|

replied October 15th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah, I thought it was 400 mg too, but like I say I would ask your dr, just to be sure.
|