Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Labor - Is It Getting Closer?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
I'm 38 weeks pregnant, and I have been experiencing more frequent contractions - the pain intensity changes, sometimes it's a "bad cramp," and other times it seems unbearable. I haven't had braxton hicks contractions during this pregnancy - or atleast they weren't noticeable, and these have been happening since sunday night (10/09/05). I've also had nausea, and diarrhea for about a week or two. Are this just signs that labor is getting closer? Has anyone else experienced this nearing their labor?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 13th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Labor
I remeber with my first I had braxton hicks for about 4 days prior to actual birth. They started off really really light, then to a light period cramp and stronger, time them. It got to a point where I started timing them it went from 20-15 min in two days and well I guess you get the point. As for nausea I had that when the pain was getting intense maybe around 5-6 mins apart. Diarhea I had with the begginning of braxton hicks or early labor whatever you would like to call it, I also had back pain and alot of pressure different from your pushing pressure (feels like you need to crap . Hope this helps
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Me Too !!!! Due Nov. 10th.
I'm 36 weeks and I get the same pains sometimes- the midwives told me that braxton hicks are not always painless, sometimes they can be like quite intense labour pains.
That's what they told me was happening to me.
I've been worried a couple of times about having my baby too early, becuase I had my first at 36 weeks (luckily she was fine, and healthy) this baby has had her head down in my pelvis all ready to go since about 30 weeks.

The midwives have told me that I needn't worry about aches and pains if they stop of their own accord- like if I change position, or sit/lie down or something. Also, they said not to worry too much about nausea etc unless I can't keep any fluids down. They didn't indicate whether it means I will really go into labour soon or not, so I guess that means you can't really know either way.
They told me to only worry if they increase in frequency, and intensity.
This is all new to me, because last time, my waters broke just out of the blue oine morning, and I was induced the next day becuase contactiopns never started by themselves, there was no guesswork about it.

The suspence is killing me. Every day I get beyond 36 weeks will be a bonus as far as i'm concerned, so i'm not too worried now, although i'm dying to see what my little girl looks like.

Xxx good luck.
|

Experienced User
Labor?
You might want to call your doctor or talk to your nurse over the phone, and they can tell you about what you're experiencing. I don't know much about this girl I had a class with, was the first pregnant teen I ever met in person and like talked to. She told me that she couldn't keep anything down on like thanksgiving to the point where she was feeling like she had malnutrition, and she called her doctor and her son was born the next day. Apparently it was labor she was experiencing even though all she had was nausea and vomiting, no cramps (at the time..)
|