Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Heartbeat Headache, What Could It Be?

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I feel I should give some background story on this one. On august 26, 2003, I began feeling a heartbeat deep in my left ear. After one week, I saw a doctor who told me it was probably a clog in my eustacian tube and prescribed dristan. After another week, the heartbeat was gone from my ear, but not long after, I developed a strong heartbeat feeling in my head, mostly around the temples and a little bit above the neck, along with a "muscle twitch" feeling on the right side of my right nose. Over the last 2 1/2 months the feeling has diminished and the twitch in my nose is gone, but I can still feel my heartbeat in my head every day. It seems to gradually get worse throughout the day, and is most noticable when I am inactive. It is still mostly around the temples and a bit above my neck. I have searched the web for similar conditions, but have found inconclusive results -- everything from tension headache to tmj and dav. Because of the sensation around my temples, it is hard to get to sleep because I can hear it pulsating when I lie on my side. This condition has made me very worried about what it could be. Has anyone seen anything similar to this, or experienced it? Any help is appreciated.

Geoff klassen
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper gigoram
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2003
Thats how ive felt since I was like 5....Im 17 now.....Im used to those headaches in a way now and kinda know how to control them......Doctors dont know !**@!
|

replied December 7th, 2003
Hi, I am new here to, but I understand what you are feeling!

My daughter was having the pounding in her left side of her head and then started having twitching of her face. She also would get really bad headaches! Her physican could not find the cause so he sent her to a neurologist for headaches. The neuro did a eeg and it came back abnormal with a history of seizures! She is now on anti-seizure meds and her seizures are left temporal lobe, absence, partial complex. (not controlled)! We had no idea that her staring spells, headaches, weird smells, ect... Were from seizures!

I would suggest that you ask for a ct and eeg to evaluate this! Their are maney things that it could be, but if it is abnormal functioning of brain cells you need to be under profesional care!

Best wishes! Pj
|

replied December 26th, 2003
Further Info
Okay, it's been another three weeks, and I don't like posting at christmas, but I felt I had to. I can localize the pain to three distinct areas: the top of my forehead, the sides of my head (an inch or two past the temples), and next to my ears (between the side burns and those triangle-shaped parts of the ears). I did notice a slight improvement one day back in mid-december, but it may have gotten worse since then, I can't tell. The worst thing, I will reiterate, is the feeling when I am motionless, especially when i'm lying down to sleep. Would acetaminophen help? I've also thought it might be related to a possible vision problem, or perhaps ear wax or other ear problems. Thoughts, anyone?

By the way, hitmanrva10, how do you control your headaches?
|

replied January 27th, 2005
Anxiety?
I think while it seems frequent that doctors quickly brush things off as "anxiety" too soon; sometimes it is indeed the cause of problems. The mind is so closely connected to the body. I don't think anxiety is always the right term though; perhaps there should be a seperate name for severe stress-induced physical symptoms...

Either way, it may not be anxiety in your case, but i've been dealing with a feeling of chest pounding - pretty much constant for months now. Initially I was worried it was something wrong but went through like seriously every major test you could possibly have - from ecgs to mris to holter monitors, stress echos, tilt-table tests - you name it.. Tried topral xl and that didn't help.

I've noticed that it does let down sometimes when i'm more relaxed, and the occasional tranquilizer klonopin has reduced the intensity. I'm also in psychotherapy now, I don't believe it's good to be on a long term drug for anxiety if at all avoidable.

A couple days ago I started getting a pounding sensation in my head and i'm a bit concerned, but I sort of sense it could be purely stress-induced. I can't assume what's causing the problems for others, but it would be worth asking: do you consider yourself an anxious person?
|

replied January 16th, 2009
Wow after looking long for some answers i finally found this page. I know what your feeling but mines is not as constant as yours. I mean i get these head aches once in a while some times out of no were or sometimes when watching too much t.v or too much computer. I can feel my heartbeat in the back of my head its so painfull. Lets say i get this headache and i move around 2 much the harder my heartbeats the harder the back of my head pounds like its about to explode so i try to stay still and not move at all cause the smallest heartbeats bother me. Usually i take these pills i get from my family in south america in Ecuador. It is called Migra Dorixina its supposed to be an anti migrane pill. Any way most of the time when i take 2 of those pills and the headache doesnt go away i always have to get a shot to relieve the pain or i cant hold it. Ive heard from a couple doctors that its a syndrome, its some type of epilepsy or from not sleeping well missing meals and looking to much at screens. Some one needs to find out what this dam headache is!! cause doctors dont seem to know anything!. LUCK
|
Users who thank Jeffrey90 for this post: YoTeach92 

replied April 6th, 2011
@Jeffrey90
I have the same thing, though not as often and not quite as severe. Once it starts though, there is no getting rid of it. It pounds in beat with my heart and the more strain of any kind (walking up stairs, lifting any weight etc.) the harder it hurts. Some suggestions have been:
- Drink more water (no change)
- Eat food (no change)
- Lie down (lessens the immediate pain until I get up again)

Lights, eye strain, etc. that are normally on the list of migraine triggers have no effect, but movement of any kind that raises my heart rate will make the pain level shoot up. Anyone with a bright idea?
|

replied May 11th, 2011
Heartbeat Headache Possibilities
i have the same thing, and the more i read the more all these symtomes seem to be circling around having epilepasy. There are 9 different kinds in total, and although there is stigma behind it most don't involve loss of control of your body or any sort of memory loss, just weird anurisms that appear during times of excitment. A very common side effect is heartbeat headaches. Another option is an underlying heart condition. If your heart is damaged or strained it could be causing it to beat more intensley, causing your entire body to shake. When your brain shakes you get a headache, so you get an intense heartbeat your headaache hits at the exact same tempo. Again though, epilepsy can take many forms including random staring, weird twiches, or simply spirts of abnormal thoughts, and often many people just considered themselves "a little quirky" and it goes undiagnosed. It is much better then a heart condition
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Antonio Marotta
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Harpreet Singh