Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

What Is a Dnc (Page 1)

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
My wife keeps telling me that she should have a dnc. She bleeds really bad once a mothly and has real bad cramps for a week before and a week after. All this started 7 years ago when my son was born (the 4th child) all of the kids were big (the 18 year old was8lbs , the 12 year old was 10lbs 8 oz , the 11 year old was 9lbs 4 oz and the only boy was 9lbs 14oz) she had her tubs tied right after he was born.(with in a few hours) every since then she is very moody and bleeds really bad. I don't know what she should do. She keeps talking about an dnc and I really don't know much about it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sundara
|

replied October 9th, 2005
Dnc
I had a dnc after the miscarriage of my triplets.

The uterus has a lining in it. "endometrial lining"
what happens is the lining sheds during a womans period.
Over time - that lining becomes thicker and thicker for some woman.
That liner is suppose to shed monthly. But obviously not for all woman!
I can cause very heavy bleeding.
The doctor will go in and and scrape that liner in her uterus.
You can call it a "cleaning".
By the way.... A dnc is a sure way to get her pregnant!!!!!!
So if that's unwanted... Just keep that in mind!!!!
|

replied October 13th, 2005
Getting Pregnant Ofter a Dnc
Thanks for the answer to my dnc question. I thought that the odds of getting pregnant after her tubs were tied was slim to none. We have 4 children one in college and 2 in middle school and the baby is now seven. Are the odds of her getting pregnant greater after a dnc.
|

replied October 31st, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
She shouldnt be able to get preg with tubes tied, but I have heard of pple becoming pregnant within 10-14 years after tubes being tied. Uncommon though--dnc shouldnt make her chances higher--with her tubes tied.
|

replied August 18th, 2011
my sister in now 19 and when she was 18 my mom got pregnant and she had her tubes cut, tied and burned
|

replied November 3rd, 2005
It's actually a d&c. Dilation and curettage. Scraping of the lining of the uterus.
|

replied February 12th, 2008
menstration after a dnc
i had a missed miscarriage, i did a dnc in december, my period came on the 31st january and up to this dat 12th february 2008, it's still coming. i've had pain but not like what i got this time around. can u tell me, when i'll stop menstrating.
|

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2008
Supporter
A D&C or Dilation and Curettage means they dilate the neck of the cervix in order to pass an instrument through it which tidies up the lining of the womb. I have had a couple (I suffered from endometriosis) and I can assure you that after a day of two of very mild discomfort and bleeding, heavy periods will be a thing of the past. Your wife should go ahead and have it done.
|

replied February 15th, 2008
After D&C
I had D&C 5th December 2007. After that, i was bleeding until end of January. I took antibioctic and the bleeding stopped. After that. i had brown discharge. On 15th February i had period pain and had slight bleeding. after 2 to 3 hours it stopped. The blood turn to brown colour. Why?
|

Especially eHealthy
Re: After D&C
sundara wrote:
I had D&C 5th December 2007. After that, i was bleeding until end of January. I took antibioctic and the bleeding stopped. After that. i had brown discharge. On 15th February i had period pain and had slight bleeding. after 2 to 3 hours it stopped. The blood turn to brown colour. Why?

Blood that is old, or has been sitting around in your uterus, turns brown. Fresh blood is bright red. There is nothing wrong with brown blood.
|

Recovery after DNC .
Refering to above matter , in a very normal case , how long does it take to get a
normal period after DNC and when is the right time to get pragnent again ?
|

Especially eHealthy
You should talk to your doctor about what is the right time for your case. It can take a few months for your period to regulate again since a DNC has scraped the lining of your uterus and there is no lining left to shed in some cases.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Why does everyone keep referring to a D & C as a 'dnc'?
|

Especially eHealthy
shonster wrote:
Why does everyone keep referring to a D & C as a 'dnc'?

You are right. Sorry about that.

Slang. Ya know? Creeps into everything Wink
|

replied January 20th, 2009
DNC
My wife had a DNC several years ago, and before that, our sex life was what one might consider normal. However, since the DNC, it has gone to zero. If I even make a move in that direction, you would think I had stuck her with a pin. Is this normal????
|

replied February 4th, 2009
DNC
what does the paper work look like when getting a
DNC done?
|

replied May 15th, 2009
D&C
I just had a D&C on May 8th, 2009. I was expecting Triplets and unfortunatly they passed away. They did a D&C to remove the babies.

I am currently still bleeding and feel it might be a bit heavy for it being already a week past the D&C. Wondering if with triplets it takes longer to stop the bleeding??
|

replied May 15th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I am so sorry to hear about your loss...What can you really say when something like this happens...Like you said it probably will take a bit longer after all that you have gone through...

I wish you well and send you my hope for a speedy recovery... 4you

Take care,
Caroline
|

replied August 13th, 2009
D & C and ablations
I am scheduled for my second novasure ablation in 2 yrs. and this time my ob doc is also doing a D & C. After reading the above statements, it sounds like my lining will be scraped away. What lining will be left to burn (ablation)?
|

replied December 30th, 2009
How long after a DNC can some one have sex again ??
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2010
Community Volunteer
The doctors say wait until you have completely stopped bleeding...I would say that this would be probably in a couple weeks...Hope this helps...

Caroline
|
12 >>