Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Mono Causing Vertigo And Anxiety (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hello,
I was diagnosed with mono about a month ago but I have been having problems since the end of july. My question is that since i've had mono I have had "vertigo". Really the best way I can describe it is that my mind is off, almost like i'm high all the time. I find it's worse at night. My doctor said it could be anxiety and prescribed me an anti-depressent, which I do not want to take. I have this "vertigo" to some varying degree almost all the time, even when i'm not anxious. I have talked to one friend who said she has the same thing and she too was diagnosed with mono. I'm just curious if this has happened to any of you and if so how long did it last? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
morgan
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Panda1994
|

replied October 9th, 2005
Re: Mono Causing Vertigo And Anxiety
Hi

i had mono many years ago and remember falling downstairs with it, because I lost my balance and also having to crawl to the bathroom because I jsut couldn't stand up properly.

It gave me an ear infection and I don't know if that caused the dizziness or not. It was dealt with and the vertigo-type feeling eventually resolved itself but getting over mono does take time.

My son had mono last year and ended up with cerebellitis, which is very rare - so don't worry.

Over a year on - he is still getting over it but has just started a university course and thinks he will cope. Apart from getting easily fatigued - he finds travelling hard as he hgets bad motion sickness, which he didn't get before the mono. I think its a bit like vertigo. I think it will get better eventually.

Just be patient. I know its not easy but you will get better - it just takes a long time.

Take care - scottie
|

replied March 2nd, 2006
Yes, I was diagnosed with mono a few months ago and I had very bad dizziness, and still am. The mono must be over but my symptoms are still there! My heart also becomes rapid and pounding sometimes as well.
|

replied June 18th, 2006
I fell sick with mono 6 months and have yet to fully recover. I also never experienced any sort of motion sickness prior to this illness, but now I get it all the time. Travelling can be a bit of a challenge, but it does seem like things to tend improve over time, albeit slowly.
|

replied October 6th, 2007
Mono Causing Vertigo And Anxiety
I am at 7 weeks of being diagnosed with mono. I have been experiencing anxiety and hard heartbeats where I can`t sleep. I have to take sleeping pills to relax. I have read it could be the vageus nerve causing the heartbeats. I have been to the dr. and the ER and they say nothing is wrong with my heart. I wonder if all of this is caused by being so weak for so long that it gets your body all out of sorts. I have had chest pain but it seems to be the sternum itself. I have read this could be costochondritis caused by autoimmune diseases. Advil does help with this. This has been rough!
|

replied March 2nd, 2008
anxiety, hard heart beats
i have the same thing. hard heart beats that don't let me sleep at night. and mono. i've also had panic attacks, which the doctors say have nothing to do with the mono, but i don't believe it. the doctors have been pretty useless. they don't know what the hard heart beats are about. i just started getting acupuncture and there's been noticeable improvement.
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2008
anxiety vertigo mono
I've had mono for almost 2 months now. I never got a sore throat or fever the entire time. It started with a stomach ache. Which the stomach ache has gone away but I now still have vertigo, anxiousness, motion sicks, and i still dont have an appetite. I also don't feel like myself I've become extremely depressed!!! My eyes also ache as the day goes on and i get a mild headache...and it's not really getting better as far as I can tell.
|

replied May 7th, 2008
Anxiety with mono.
I was diagnosed with mono about 4 months back and I haven't felt right since. I felt fine before that. I've noticed posts about feeling anxious with mono. I've had the same feelings. I keep waking up with sore throats and I've felt tired and anxious most of the time. With a dizzy feeling also. My doctor said it doesn't happen for such an extended time + with the anxiety symptoms, and that my dizzyness is from anxiety and wrote me a scrip for an antidepressant with a tranquilizer. Which I didn't take. I'm dizzy even when I'm not anxious.
I don't want to depress anyone, but i've heard of people having mono symptoms up to six months after onset. So hang in there, take care of yourself and give you'reself time to rest. I've also heard that various Immune stimulating herbs can help defeat mono. I'm not going to make any suggestions. Just do your own research. I wish everyone well and take care!
|

replied June 21st, 2008
Wooziness, Fatigue + Anxiety
I have had this woozy weird feeling for over 2.5 months. I never really had the classic mono symptoms of fever + sore throat, but was diagnosed with an active case in late April. I can't shake this woozy feeling, and sometimes i get really bad fatigue that comes on strong and i need to lay down for a while. My anxiety has been terrible as well.

I've been testing for a ton of other stuff + docs say I'm healthy. I just had my ebv titers checked this week and they're back to normal - but i still have these symptoms. It's derailed my life considerably.

My dizzy feeling is not spinning but more like the wooziness (kind of a motion sickness feeling) I described. Does that sound similar? Also I noticed that these posts are from a while back, do they go away?

Thanks!
|

replied December 10th, 2008
Anxiety and Mono
I was diagnosed with Mono this summer and my anxiety flared up considerably. I started feeling fatigued really bad in July and just this week have regained my energy. That is 5 months later! I have heard from others that the anxiety has worsened with their mono so I believe this is common no matter what doctors say. It does take time but I believe these symptoms will subside; hang in there!
|

replied December 11th, 2008
Mono and panic attacks
i was diagnosed with mono at the end of october, but had a blood test show negative mono back in april. i was diagnosed with serum sickness from a acne medication i was taking that caused me to have an allergic reaction and affected my joints and immune system. i was feeling fautige for months, but still was able to do everyday things. i went back to school and caught mono, and started having frequent panic attacks. my mother would ask me "what hurts?" but i could never put my finger on it. i still am only getting a few hours of sleep and wake up anxious, but i also feel that panic attacks are caused by mono. i have always been anxious, but never to the degree of always feeling anxious and uncomfortable for no reason, like now. it is very frustrating to have mono, and for people to not know what you are feeling, so i am very happy to find this message board. it is very hard to feel like this, hopless and anxious when you have mono, but i hope we will all make progress with mono. it is hard, but try to do things you enjoy, like hang out with friends and watch a movie. just take it easy
|
Users who thank Megoogle15 for this post: zoesierra 

User Profile
replied December 19th, 2008
mono with vertigo
I was in the hospital for a week in the beginning of march, and diagnosed with mono.
I was hoping it would be gone by now, but the symptoms started coming back really bad.
A few mornings ago I went to just go walk into my dining room, and I suddenly just got really dizzy and fell on our terrazzo floor. I have a nasty bruise still, but i'm more worried about the other things that come with the high feeling.
I keep forgetting to eat, crying and not being able to sleep, and losing track of time.
I don't know if it could be a part of the vertigo, (has this happened to anyone else, by the way?) but I woke up at about ten a.m. a few days ago, sat down to work on a drawing, and looked up at the clock and it was almost eleven at night! I hadn't gotten up to go to the bathroom or eat, or anything, and it really scared me.
I have only been having these symptoms for a few months, so I don't know how long they will last, but I hope yours go away soon!

Everyone keeps telling me to wait it out, because it will go away, and I guess that's all you can do.
It helps me to just go really slowly with everything, and plan only like one event every day, or every other day Smile
|

replied March 14th, 2009
anxiety
I was diagnosed with mono 4 weeks ago. Since then I've been recovering very well and feel physically fine aside from being out of shape. But I too have been experience anxiety and fear like never before in my life. I thought maybe it was my personal struggles right now, but I keep waking up at 6, 7 ,8 in the morning very frightened and usually I can sleep 14 + hours without waking up. I start feeling panicked and yeah hopeless. I really think there's something to this. Either because mono causes anxiety or maybe because lack of exercise causes it. Idk, correlation doesn't mean causation, but there does seem to be a correlation.
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
anxiety
I was diagnosed with mono in May 2007 and again in July 2008. It is currently April of 2009 and I feel the same way I did when I was diagnosed. I did feel better during that time period between diagnoses but I feel like it is coming back.
When I have Mono - I feel constantly out of it - mentally and physically as well as extremely anxious constantly. I do believe there has to be a correlation between anxiety and mono. I am relieved to know I am not the only one to feel this way. I am an anxious person to begin with but when I have Mono it intensifies by 100! It is absolutely horrible and because of my anxiety my stomach hurts constantly. Not to mention I feel "foggy" through out the day. Does anyone else feel this way?
I hope this goes away permenently - I am sick of feeling this way - and I just want to see a light at the end of the tunnel!
|

replied May 28th, 2009
Anxiety
I found out I had mono after having an anxiety attack and going to the ER. Since then I have anxiety all the time. I get head aches, dizziness, trouble breathing, my heart races, and skips beats all the time, and i get shaky legs. I found that taking a super multivitamin like Mega Men has actually helped out a lot after the first couple of weeks of use. Tell yourself it's just anxiety, and look up controlled breathing techniques. That helps too. I got it in January 09, it's now going on June. I have noticed a lot of improvement, but I always get reminders that I'm not out of the woods yet.
|

replied June 24th, 2009
Anxiety/Panic/Depression--Mono Sucks
The last three months of my life have been hell. Eleven weeks ago I began having this strange feeling in my head that was incredibly difficult to describe to other people. I suppose the best way to describe it is feeling like your really stoned or having the flu but only in your head. I didn't really have any other major symptoms, though I was perhaps a little weak/lethargic. Anyways, this feeling in my head would come in waves, usually the worst occuring an hour after I got out of bed. The waves would typically last 2-3 hours. I began having terrible panic attacks and anxiety, I literally thought I was going mad. I went to the ER several times, and to a doctor at the health center at my college. I was diagnosed with an anxiety/panic disorder and given xanax and put on prozac. For the next several months I lived a terrified existence. The continued to go the doctor every couple of days, and every time they would just suggest I upped my antidepressent dose. I felt misunderstood and all alone in all my fear and panic. I became grew very hopeless and became a sort of agoraphobic and began to think a lot about suicide. The only thing that helped was the xanax, which I began taking regularly. I began noticing that when my panic subsided I still felt sick...like something was wrong with me. Finally, a week ago I went to an ER in another city and an understanding doctor ran a blood test on me and it came up positive for MONO! What a relief I felt at knowing what was wrong with me. I still have a bit of anxiety (it became such a part of my life that now its hard to get rid of) but no where near like i did. I think it is important for people to realize that if you get Mono in your twenties (I'm 24) you can experience none of the regular symptoms--fever, cough, sore throat, etc. The only real symptoms I had were in my head, like only my brain got sick. Anyways, I'm doing a lot better now, though I still feel like i'm stoned. At least I know it will go away sometime in the next few months. I'm curious if anybody else has had a similar experience?
|

replied July 6th, 2009
beginning phases
I've had mono for a few weeks now, and as soon as I found out I started working out like crazy and drinking odwalla vitamin c monster shakes. I am definatly experiencing signs of dizziness and fatigue but now anxiety. I have had pains in my eyes, and headaches in weird spots, but I think the workout sessions are keeping my blood flowing and working the infection out quickly. The only part that really bugged me so far is that it took the docs over a week to figure out what was wrong, and they even ran the wrong type of mono test (what are the different types of mono test???). Oh the fact that I thought I had throat cancer didn't help. They couldn't figure out what was wrong and my tonsils just kept getting bigger, redder and more disgusting looking. This subsided once I was put on steroids (which I think also helped motivate me to workout). I am 30 years old and was told that I will probably get real anxious and depressed, can't wait!!! YAY!!
|

replied July 12th, 2009
I am 24. I got mono in February and still feel off. I completely understand about the stoned feeling and the anxiety. The high feeling does tend to subside over time. It is nice to know that I am not insane and that it is not because I am crazy. The only thing is, I have had two relapses so far when I push myself. Let's see what happens.
|

replied July 22nd, 2009
mono and anxiety
i am 26, was diagnosed with mono in april and had a hard time with the fever/sore throat etc... but it passed quickly. About a month after the physical symptoms began to subside i started to get anxiety really bad, trouble sleeping, and depression. I noticed a direct corolation between physical exertion and anxiety. Saw a shrink and he prescribed me anti-deppresants. I can relate to the stoned feeling. it has been almost three months and after bikram yoga i have had a relapse in symptoms. this sucks but i think it will go away with time and hope it goes away for those of you out there experiencing similar symptoms.
|

replied September 22nd, 2009
Mono misdiagnosis
I am 27 and was diagnosed with mono in July, but am now wondering if I have had it for much longer. I started having obvious symptoms of mono in mid-June, and was treated with 2 rounds of antibiotics for a sinus/ear infection (I also had sore throat and fatigue). The doctor also did the 5-minute Monospot test twice (negative both times) until finally doing a full blood work-up. I had antibodies for both the chronic and acute stages, and the doctor said I must have had it before and somehow been re-exposed (could I have done this to myself, i.e. toothbrush?). I suspect that I have had it since last winter, because I kept getting blocked ears, dizziness, enlarged tonsils, fatigue, a fuzzy feeling in the back of my head (like being drunk), and could not think or concentrate. I have also been more worried (impending sense of doom) and irritable than normal since winter. At my annual checkup in February, the doctor just assumed that I was depressed and suggested anti-depressants, which I never got. Even this summer, another doctor suggested anti-depressants before the test came back positive for mono (and a collapsed gallbladder, which was just removed in late August). Doctors have a tendency to just take the easy route and prescribe anti-depressants for everything. Now, I am back to work, but it is hard to tell if I still have mono symptoms, or am just out of shape and recovering from surgery. Fortunately, I do feel more alert and able to think clearly now. Goodluck to everyone.
|