Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Switching Pills & Antibiotics

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
This month I switched my pill from lo/ovral to cyclessa (which I started last monday 9/26). If i'm correct, after switching, you only need to wait a week before being protected - the problem is I also was recently on antibiotics which I stopped taking the friday before I switched pills. Do I have to wait until I start my 2nd pack of cyclessa to be protected? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 10th, 2005
Experienced User
Antibiotics usually cancel out your birth control pills. I would really wait until your second pack to be fully covered, but it would make sense just to wait until the week after you stopped taking the pill, but I would wait until the second pack just to be sure. Hope this helped!
|

replied October 19th, 2005
Experienced User
I asked my doctor about antibiotics. They stay in your system maybe a day or two after you stop taking them. So you're not fully protected until the next pack after those couple days. Even if one of those days falls on your first pill, i'd still wait till the next pack. Hope this helps!
|