Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Is It Safe to Have Sex With a Tampon In? (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I have a friend coming in from out of town for one day only. Of course, my period has started. I don't mind the mess, but was just wondering if it is safe to use a tampon while having sex?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Lilypad
|

replied December 3rd, 2003
Deleted
|

replied December 3rd, 2003
Deleted
|

replied December 15th, 2003
Experienced User
Not Recommended
Hey,

i would say no. I don't think it is meant to be used while having sex at all.
First off, you can push the tampon in very far, you can hurt yourself and the string can get lodged in.

If you asked a doctor, i'm sure they'd say to refrain from it.
If you are at all concerned about mess, do it in the shower!
|

replied December 17th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
I agree with minerwater. You should not do it with a tampon on. It can cause alot of harm and get stuck. Please just do it without the mess
|

replied December 22nd, 2003
Sex While Wearing Tampon
I think your asking for trouble!!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Definetly not! Just set yourself up a nice area...So the mess won't make much trouble. Sex with a tampon, can cause problems...Like having to go to the doc to get it removed!

I can't beleive anyone would have sex on their period though...That seems...Well...Not right!

Jennifer Laughing
|

Experienced User
Nothing wrong with it but I think woman think its their time and not time for sex. Like a cleansing.
I wouldn't want to cause it would be gross. In the shower maybe but I would not be turned on to look down at blood and clots and...Just ew!
|

Extremely eHealthy
That's what I was thinking!

Jennifer Laughing
|

Experienced User
Usually when you have sex on your period the bleeding stops. I have done it several times and have never had any blood on him or me. But, I only do it when I am very, very light!
|

replied January 17th, 2004
Having sex when you have your period is ok for you and your body. If you know your cycle and how you bleed like some people tend to not bleed much at night or when that are bathing, again that depends on your body. Having sex in the shower is a good idea and can be fun but do not do it in a bath tub, pool, or hot tube. The movement can push water in to you and cause discomfort and is not good for a women.
|

replied January 19th, 2004
Re: Is It Safe to Have Sex With a Tampon In?
lovelight237 wrote:
i have a friend coming in from out of town for one day only. Of course, my period has started. I don't mind the mess, but was just wondering if it is safe to use a tampon while having sex?
Sad hi there I am writing from gb I had sex with a tampon in wen a was a little tippsy, I had to go to my doctors on boxing day to have it removed as it was shoved right up the top of my uterus the doctor said she has not saw one so far up, so from now on I just wait, sorry Sad
|

replied January 20th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I get really horny on my period...But I was told it was really messy. I stay away from it, cuz I was raised being told that your period is your body cleaning itself. So I always wait til after, but always wanted to try.

Jennifer Laughing
|

replied February 7th, 2005
Re: Is It Safe to Have Sex With a Tampon In?
Ok.

I was really drunk and ended up staying at a guys apartment. I had just met him and told him there wasn't going to be anymore than making out twice. I also physically resisted him when he attempted to anyway. I also told him that we couldn't have sex for various reasons (i'm a virgin, and I was on my period and had a tampon in.)
he said he was inside of me

i couldn't really tell for sure. I was pretty drunk and at that point in time it's a little fuzzy. When I went to take out the tampon it was still in place. The string was still out and it wasn't difficult to find.

It didn't hurt. I didn't feel any significant pain. I don't know if we had sex or not, and i'm curious if I could have had sex if the tampon did not seem to move.
|

replied February 5th, 2012
Anon75
Did anyone answer this? I just had the exact same experience and am not sure if sex actually occurred since the tampon was still in place...though I do remember that we definitely *tried* to have sex. I'm not entirely sure he actually was inside me...doesn't seem possible, right?
|

replied February 21st, 2005
Experienced User
Is It Safe to Have Sex With a Tampon
You should know it is very harmful to have sex during a period. First of all, you easily get infection, secondly you will not enjoy it at all. Wait till you are cleaned. I think your lover would understand if you mentioned to him that.
|

replied April 2nd, 2011
It is not harmful to have sex during your period as it has benefits. It eases stomach cramps and can stop your periods. don't know where you got your info from but maybe you should try looking it up before posting negative comments!
|

replied February 26th, 2012
Sex during ur period
That is absolutely not true at all. According to all the research it's safe. And as for how it feels - how does everyone who is "afraid" to have sex when they have their period telling everyone it hurts ??? It doesn't hurt - and yes it feels good. Actually sometimes it even feels better. Maybe it's bc ur so sensitive down there. I wouldn't suggest it when wearing a tampon but having sex during ur period Does feel good.
|

replied February 22nd, 2005
Experienced User
You definitely shouldn't have sex with a tampon in! And it is too terribly harmful or anything, you may be a little more susceptible to infection. You should use a condom though; it can get a little bit messy & your guy might think a bloody penis is gross. Lol
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2005
Community Volunteer
Re: Is It Safe to Have Sex With a Tampon
nadeentears wrote:
you will not enjoy it at all.

i'm sorry but that is your opinion, not a fact for everyone. Many women enjoy a healthy sex life during their periods.
|

replied February 23rd, 2005
I have sex all the time while on my period. Most of the time, its done in the shower so if we get any blood on ourselves, no problem.. Just wash it right off. Or if i'm really light, we'll take it into the bedroom. Never had any problems with it but if you're scared about infections, use a condom. It's cleaner for the guy as well.
|

replied September 19th, 2005
Um Nooooo
No
|

replied September 20th, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
?
Ok I will try not to sound so harsh when I say this. If a tampoon was ment for sex it would say so.

Really it is ok to have sex when you are on your period.
|
Tags: sex, period, safe sex
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile