Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Clicking In Head (what Is It, What Should I Do?) (Page 1)

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hi. I'm looking for somebody with some expert, professional knowledge about symtoms affecting the head. The past day or two I have noticed a strange sensation in my head. It is a light clicking that I can hear internally and feel, located slightly to the right of the center of the top of my head. The only time I really notice it is when i'm walking; it clicks with each upward motion in my gait. I can also feel it if I just bob my head up and down. The click doesn't hurt, but it is annoying and has me slightly worried. I had a headache in the same spot a few days ago, but i'm pretty sure it was just from a hangover. But still, it could be connected and the thought of a stroke or blood clot or tumor scares me so much. If anybody has any information as to what this strange click might be, please reply! Please!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper thegoddamnbatman
|
Users who thank owenB for this post: MikeyEspo 

replied April 5th, 2006
Clicking In Head
I am wondering if you have found any more info about the light clicking in your head. I am experiencing a similar thing and am seeking info.

Looking forward to hearing if you have learned anything. Thank you in advance.
|

replied October 22nd, 2011
i went to the doctor today and she said it is the mucus in your ear clogging up, threfore you are just hearing your pulse. A way you can fix this is by applying steam and waiting for it to go away. there is nothing to worry about, there is no blood clotts, tumors etc
|

replied October 24th, 2011
Clicking Noise in Head
Hate to say this, but your doctor is a quack. A pulse would be more like a low boom boom noise not a click. Have you ever run a half mile or sprinted a few blocks? You could hear your pulse/hear beat. My 13 year old daughter and I are experiencing this clicking. We both get migraines. She goes to an ENT doc because she had tubes put in her ears when she was 4. The doctor thought it might be a build up of ear wax. He took the wax out but she still has it. When I move my neck I do hear the click. It is the weirdest sound. Get a second opinion.
|

replied April 5th, 2006
Experienced User
I have the same thing. When I am walking and I have my head down I hear it. Mine is from a herniated disc in my neck. I described it to the doc as if you click your finger nail on another finger nail. You really should see if your doc, will give you a .M.R.I. It is really annoying, but they told me it is not servere problem if I am not having pain with it. Good luck!
|

replied April 5th, 2006
Clicking In Head
Thank you for your reply. Do you mind if I ask you a few more questions? If you are willing, 1) where in your head do you hear the click? Or is it in your neck? 2) does the clicking sound only happen when your head is forward or does it happen other times? 3) do you feel any sensation associated with the clicking sound you hear? 4) what is your understanding of how the herniated disc effects/causes or is related to this sound? 5)how long have you had it?
|

replied April 5th, 2006
I have had the same problem from time to time but have no idea what it could be.
But it doesnt effect me in any way
|

replied April 5th, 2006
Experienced User
Re: Clicking In Head
floatinglaughter wrote:
thank you for your reply. Do you mind if I ask you a few more questions? If you are willing, 1) where in your head do you hear the click? Or is it in your neck? 2) does the clicking sound only happen when your head is forward or does it happen other times? 3) do you feel any sensation associated with the clicking sound you hear? 4) what is your understanding of how the herniated disc effects/causes or is related to this sound? 5)how long have you had it?

1 - I am not sure what area the clicking comes from but I hear it in my head almost as if it is behind my throat. 2 - I seem to hear it when I am walking in a quiet environment and my head is down. It seems when I stand straight up, I don't hear it as much. 3 - I really don't feel any sensation associated with it. At first I was worried and had myself all worked up over it, but not now. Sometimes I do get numbness and tingling in my left arm from the herniation, but it doesn't come just with the clicking. 4 - from what I understand the doc said, it is bone or cartilage rubbing when my head is in different positions. 5 - I have been dealing with it since 01. I was in a car accident, not a really bad one, but the force of the other car hitting me threw my neck out because I was wearing my seat belt. I have had problems ever since.
|

replied July 30th, 2013
I had a same type of car accident and I have same clicking sound .Maybe ts reason is the accident
|

replied February 3rd, 2008
Clicking in head
I also have the clicking in my head when I'm walking. I think it's weird because I never had it before. Why does that happen?
|

replied March 3rd, 2008
clickclickclickclicktyclick
Confused Hello eveyone i too have been having a clicking sound in my head, its on the right side ubove the temple' its constantly there and very annoying I have been very worried about it, Though i have a degenerating disc problem in top of neck, i wondered if its something to do with that, i asked my Doc (not helpfull) he told me lots of things can go in in the head when you have had previous injury to neck.
Could this be true?
i thought same things as owenB blood clot' stroke' tumor' all the scary stuff
I do feel a bit better reading the forums and finding i am not alone
so thanks guys
so who thinks it might be serious ?
Fairysue
|

replied February 10th, 2009
clicking in head
Hi i also get a clicking in my head usually when walking also i get a lot of back pain and neck pain i have had this for about2 years now was worried at first but it comes and goes with no other symptoms at the same time this is the first time i have heard anyone else have the same symptoms as me which is nice im not alone and dont think it is anything to worry about
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied March 12th, 2009
Clicking in head.
I also get this clicking in my head sometimes. It appears on and off sometimes lasting a few days or weeks and is most noticable when I am walking. I also notice that if I push down on the area where I feel it clicking it stops temporarily. I asked my doctor about it in passing one time when I was in and he explained to me what it was. You know how when you are a baby you have a hole at the top of your skull where it is not fully formed yet? Well sometimes when you are growing and the skull is closing up at the top it happens that it doesn't join correctly leaving a small flap or something. This is what is clicking. It's nothing serious at all (although admittedly rather irritating) and apparently it's quite common. And obviously it affects some more than others. But yeah it's nothing to worry about at all Smile
|
Users who thank thegoddamnbatman for this post: amandacecilia819 

replied December 1st, 2014
Wow I am so glad to hear this. I thought I was alone! Mine started immediately after I ran a few weeks ago, and when I mentioned it to a doctor she didn't know what it was. I was so worried it was something serious!
|

replied March 13th, 2009
Clicking in head.
I feel it both in the very back of my head where the skull meets the neck, as well as on the sides near the ears and above. I can produce clicking voluntarily, either by sort of tightening muscles in the side of my head (area near the ears) or by moving my head from side to side (back of neack). These could be two different phenomena, but they sound and feel similar. I do muscle tightening to produce the clicking around the ears and above (It feels like it is on top of the brain or under the skull) almost constantly, and it seems to relieve pressure in some way. I've had it for over 20 years, since I was 19. No MD has ever been able to explain it -- they just shrug. But others have definitely heard it when they put their ear next to my head, so it is not purely neurological or psychological. Anybody had thess experiences?
|

replied March 14th, 2009
clicking in head...
Glad to hear I'm not imagining a clicking in my head for past 3 months. Felt funny telling people about it. My click sound is occasional and comes from the left side above ear, left of eye. I too described it's sound as clicking finger nails together. It doesn't hurt, I can't feel anything, it's just a sound. I do suffer from moderate pain in my neck/shoulder and treat with ibuprofin & massage. When I mentioned this noise to my doctor she blew because she never heard of it. Not sure if I should press for a MRI. Would like to know more details of others clicking, symptoms, diagnose, etc. Thanks all, Mimi
|

replied March 25th, 2009
Clicking sensation in head..
Hi EvenSteven

I've EXACTLY the same problem as you, no idea what it is but I'd like it gone! had it a few years now and I'm only 29.
|

replied March 26th, 2009
Clicking sensation in head..
I now have the same, I walk a lot every day and one night it just started, this clicking sound, thought it was coming from something in my pocket at first but no definitely induced when I walk. If I roll my neck when standing still it grinds and has done for a few years and I think it is all related. If I am hill walking it stops almost straight away until I am back on the flat. Almost certain it is neck and jaw bone related but it is a real pest. I put it down to old age but now I wonder.

Jimmy
|

replied March 31st, 2009
click in the head
OKAY this is weird.. ME TOO
The clicking noise comes from inside the right side of my head!
When this first happened I thought it was my hoodie's zip tinging against my chest.. but no. (It DOES sound like clicking two fingernails past one another.)
I only notice it sometimes when walking. There is no pain.. but it is VERY irritating. It seems to click each time I take a step. Perhaps I should listen to music while walking...

Any: advice? treatment? theories?
-Callan
|

replied April 5th, 2009
click in the head
My last post must have got lost!!
I think it is definitely related to the neck, if you roll your head slowly round at the neck does it grind or make a noise? Mines churns away and although it has done so for a number of years with no clicks I just wonder.
My click is also above the right temple and seems to be more pronounced if I also look to the right when walking, sounds like a crazy situation.
Perhaps we should start the 'Click in the Head Group' and have our own site!!
Mind you a lot of other weird folk would soon home in on it.

Happy clicking.
|

replied April 28th, 2009
clicking in the head
Hey I know this probably won't be as helpful but I have the same exact thing as many of you were describing, and I'm only 15 years old. I had a tumor in my head as a baby, so it might be related to that but I doubt it. I wish there was more information about this, I've been researching it for awhile now.
very annoying.
|

replied April 29th, 2009
clicking in the head
I think that it all helps as it shows that it is not just ones imagination and that it does not seem to have any dire consequences. I wonder too if it could be linked to the bones in the ear? Very strange, mines seems to be loudest in the early morning and will vanish if I walk a long distance, over a couple of miles.
|

replied May 18th, 2009
Clicking in Head
I have a clicking in my head that I describe as a peice of cardboard attached to hit a bicycle spoke. I can hear it speed up and slow down. Some days it is much worse and some days I don't hear it at all. I cannot associate it with any activity. Sometimes I hear it when I wake up and I do guess it is worse when I am lying down. It is driving me crazy and I hope to find the cause.
|

replied October 23rd, 2014
I also have the clicking noise in my head. It sounds like a click or a pop and I can feel it a tiny bit in my neck, while the click or pop is in my head. I get it on the left top side of my head (where the sound is) and the back top left of my neck (is where I get the feeling). It is super annoying I noticed it around the age of 21 (If I can remember correctly) and I am 26 now. Sometimes I cannot shake the noise, but I was just laying down in bed face up and I rolled over to my left side and stopped. Very strange. I think I will go see a doctor for this because I have been having lower back problems for years. It could possibly be from spinal issues.
Thanks Everyone Smile
I am glad I am not the only one.
|