Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Third Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

Constant Burning Stabbing Pain Under Right Breast (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I am 34 weeks and I have had this constant burning stabbing pain under my right breast. The doc did an ultra sound but didnt see anything with my liver or gullbladder, but then again I really dont trust the doctors out here, they told my mom she had the flu when she had an ulcer and almost bled to death. Anyways can anybody help me. It hurts to move I cant even lay on my side, this is one of the worst pains I have ever felt in my life and in the past couple of days my ankles and feet have swelled up so bad I can feel the water moving in them when I walk. Please if anybody can help it would be awesome
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper xlntwife
|

replied October 6th, 2005
I'm Not Much Help
Sorry I don't have much advice for you but I was relieved tosee your question because just today and yesterday I have been having the same kind of pain you described and it's very uncomfortable. I don't know what it is either but mine isn't too bad. If I change posisitions sometimes it goes away.
|

replied October 6th, 2005
I'm Not Much Help
Sorry I don't have much advice for you but I was relieved tosee your question because just today and yesterday I have been having the same kind of pain you described and it's very uncomfortable. I don't know what it is either but mine isn't too bad. If I change posisitions sometimes it goes away.
|

replied December 19th, 2005
Experienced User
Hi girls happy to say that I had this same problem and I went to my doctor about it, he said this is perfectly normal and that it was just growing pains and that sometimes the baby ends up laying on your siatic nerve..(not sure of spelling) and that causes that numbness and pain under your right breast..Hope this helps..I found that holding my breast in tightly under it made the pain go away quicker.
|

replied June 9th, 2013
What a relief. I'm in my 1st preganancy and am 31wks with twins and that pain is ridiculous sometimes. However put a bit of pressure on the spot I do find it helps.
|

replied May 5th, 2008
I feel you
I just read ur post an I'm going through the same exact thing. It hurts so bad. I went to the er 2 days ago and the Doctor told me it was the baby causing me strains in my stomach, and that there wasn't anything I could do about it. It hurts nonstop and nothing I do makes it go away. I can't even hardly get any kinda sleep. I feel like I'm losing my mind.
|

replied June 3rd, 2008
Me too
OMG! I atleast feel better now cause I want to choke my OB for not really caring about the pain. I got my gall bladder ultra sound and nothing was wrong but the burning is getting worse as I get bigger. It hurts to wear a bra, to eat, to sleep, to really do anything. She originally told me it was heart burn, which I knew it wasn't but now that my ultra sound came back fine I really want to hurry up and deliver so the pain goes away.
|

replied July 2nd, 2008
hope this helps
You may find what is causing this is tht you have torn ligaments in your ribs because of where the baby is sitting - this is the case with my baby - I am 36 weeks and still have the problem and very much looking forward to the end of it.
I find heat helps relieve it and lumbar support when you are sitting too.
good luck xxxx
|

replied August 11th, 2008
my pain is on the other side
I seem to be experiencing the same type of pain as the rest of you ladies. i am 28 weeks pregnant and i have been experiencing the stabbing, sharp shooting pain under my left breast. this has been going on for months and the bigger i get the more intense the pain is. do you think i should as my ob/gyn for an ultrasound or do you think it really is growing pains???? this is my first baby and i just want everything to go well Smile
|

replied August 27th, 2008
Pregnant with sharp shooting pain in my right breast
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that is experiencing this miserable sharp shooting pain in my right breast. I thought I was something really weird. I'm about 33 weeks now and I can hardly wait until this is over. Come to think of it, I was moving furniture around in the nursery and a bunch of boxes, so it's quiet possible that I did pull something. I told my doctor about it, but she wasn't sure what it was. She was wondering if my milk was starting to come in....which it has not. This is my third baby. Needless to say, it's still driving me crazy. I can hardly wait til this is OVER!!! headstand
|

replied May 2nd, 2013
i am 34 weeks pregnant i recently started to feel the same burnning pain under ma right breast but no one knows what it is. Its not consistent but it hurts and i cant wait to give birth for the pain to leave
|

replied August 16th, 2009
Now I know I'm not alone...It seems like nobody knows what I'm talking about when I complain of this pain. I've had a great pregnancy so far (20 weeks), but I've had this pain since my 6th week, so very early on. That's I don't think it's growing pains...I know it has to do with eating and digestion. My pain goes away when I lie down. It's the only thing that make it go away. My doctor has reacted like your doctors. He doesn't seem very concerned. The firt time I brought it up he said it was from everything stretching in there. Now he says it's gas or acid reflux...It's really strange and it seems to be getting worse and worse!
|

replied September 30th, 2009
Pain under left breast
I get this same pain under my left breast and have to take my bra off as soon as I get in from work. It's OK in the mornings, is definitely worse after I've eaten lunch and Icannot eat a full meal these days for dinner as the discomfort is unbearable. I teach and the other day I found myself pulling at my bra whilst teaching. It's definitely getting worse. I'm 31-32 weeks preg and it's my first one. I went to the docs and she examined my breasts for lumps. Nothing there. Its definitely the weight of my breast on the ribs. When I've eaten the ribs push out more so it must be some tissue that has arrived with preganancy. Hopefully it will go as fast as it came!
|

replied October 6th, 2009
Ok ladies, hopefully I can shine some light on this for all of you. This is my 3rd pregnancy and I had the pain with all 3. I was very concerned with the 1st, but now I know it is just my uterus rubbing and stretching against my ribs. It is honestly the worst pain you will ever feel, laying on the opposite side is the only thing that relieves it and it comes back the second you sit up or move. However, it will go away as soon as the baby is born. Honestly, if you are one of the unlucky few to get this pain it sucks while you have it, but labor is a relief. So if you can handle the rib pain labor will be a breeze.
|

User Profile
replied September 29th, 2013
Was u able to work? I'm struggling! Did u have natural birth?
|

replied November 11th, 2009
can you describe pain in more detail
Hi All, can you describe in more details where exactly the pain is and what kind of pain. i am pregnant with twins and I started having these pains from week 20 and my OB asked me to take a tylenol and not worry about it.. 2 weeks later i still have the pain and its worse. my Doc visit in in another 2 days, but she told me over the phone that i should probably go get an abdominal ultrasound to check for gallstones. She also said that i was too early (22 weeks) to be worried about preeclampsia. I am not sure i want to do an abdominal ultrasound.

my pre-pregnancy breast size is DD and i used to wear underwire bras, i thought that was causing it. I have stopped wearing a bra completely, just thick tank tops but no help..

Below is the description of the pain:
it is right below the right breast where the breast meets the ribcage. That is also where my belly start growing.

if i touch / press that area it feels sore and pain in the area with numbness around the area.

Mild pain is constant, but when i change positions i get this very sharp & shooting pain that completely immobilizes me and the pain remains for a few seconds until i get adjusted / used to that new position. (i literally have to move slowly like a robot to minimize the occurance of the pain)
Sleeping on my right side hurts, and i feel pain in the front as well as the back (right side only)

This is definitely NOT because of breast size / gas / heart burn / indigestion coz i have had all those pains too and they are different and go away soon.

Sorry for the LONG post.. some description would really help relieve me to know that this is normal and i am not alone..
|

replied November 30th, 2009
the nurse at my prenatal class said that a cramp or a pain is normal but if it starts feeling kinda like heart burn (in the burning way ) then it is something and should be checked out because i had a pain in the same place but mine is just a cramp and she says it is most likely just they baby getting under my ribs
|

replied December 14th, 2009
I am 20 weeks pregnant and suffering the same thing. I did mention it to my OB once and he said sometimes women do get problems with their gallbladders when they are pregnant but he said if you can lie down and you get some relief from it then it is not the gallbladder. He feels it happens after I eat. I felt like he was full of it however as I get it when I do eat and when I don't eat. It has also progressed from being a pain in under my ribcage on the right that went right through to my back to now being a numbness and constant pain underneath my right breast. It also is sore to touch now. The progression concerns me. OB's do not know what this is and frankly don't care. They will all say " this is a normal part of pregnancy" yet not every woman gets it. I know I have asked other pregnant women around me and they did not experience this.
|

replied December 15th, 2009
Hi! I am 35 weeks pregnant and am having the burning/stabbing pain, but it is not in my breast. It is underneath my rib cage and in my diaphragm. It does not go away when the baby moves or when I change positions (even laying down). It feels like someone has a torch on my insides and is sensitive to the touch on the outside. I called my doctor, but the nurse just said it was gas. I KNOW it is not gas.
|

replied January 3rd, 2010
Burning pain under right breast
Today is 1-03-10, Iam having my mom post this for me only after calling her on the cell phone to look it up as i am getting really frustrated. I am 33 weeks and have started slowly developing this pain over four days. At first i thought it was just my bra, but now i have a sharp pain which burns under the skin beneath my right breast going through to my back after removing my suspicious bra.I also had small pinprick sized purple bruises where it was sore, which I cannot explain. Can ANY body shed light on what this really is , what it is caused by? I have read all the posts and I know im not crazy. The pain is uncomfortable and I am going to my OB for a visit tomorrow. She will hopefully be able to have a good explanation, and if she does I will definitely post.
|

replied January 4th, 2010
pain under right breast
Hi, today 1-03-10 , i do have same problme since two days, and no idea why i am having pain in my right breast,and i never had this kind of thing earlier, and not yet taken doctor appoinment, but it is horrible pain. Can you please help me on this?
|

replied January 4th, 2010
Ok, so i have been dealing with this awful burning/stabbing/numb AND sore to the touch pain below my right breast for almost 2 months and I am 34 weeks today. I was getting so frustrated but I just had an appointment with the nurse practitioner in my OB office the other day, and as I started to describe the pain, she was totally confident that it was caused by whats called the round ligament. She said there is not much anyone can do for relief. It's a part of pregnancy that WILL go away when we have our babies. I hope this helps...
|

replied January 7th, 2010
Hi all, I have just been discharged from hospital today after three days of tests due to this pain. They checked for gallstones and liver scan. Turns out it is caused by an infection and my spleen is slightly inflammed which they think is due to it having to work harder. Given strong pain killers and sent home still in pain. I think it is just another pregnancy niggle!
|
12 >>