Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

How Long Do You Carry a Baby? 9 Or 10 Months?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hi every one I am three months pregnant by my doctor. But my due date is april the 7th. If I go that long I will be 10 months. So do you carry a baby for 10 months or 9? All the help would be thankful.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 26th, 2005
They say it is 10 months, when the doctor does the timing on it, and they should have given you the reasons for it, but when we think of it, it is really only 9 months. Remember they count u being pregnant from when you had your last period and not when you conceived, so that is an added 2 weeks as well. Just keep in mind that the baby will come when it is ready regardless of the due date lol
|

replied September 27th, 2005
Experienced User
The gestation period is supposed to be 38 wks--from conception.

Nancy
|

User Profile
replied September 27th, 2005
Experienced User
40 Weeks
It's 40 weeks from the first day of your last period, that will be your actual due sate, but a pregnancy that lasts anywhere between 37 and 42 weeks (from first day of last period) is considered normal.

It is confusing- 40 weeks is 10 months in my opinion- whatever the actual calander says, four weeks is a month. I was not impressed with the "extra" month when I found out about it in my first pregnancy. My duaghter resolved the situation by being born at 36 weeks !!!!!! So my pregnancy was 9 months long after all.
|

replied September 28th, 2005
Experienced User
It can be confusing to calculate dates etc, but remember 1 month isn't 4 weeks!!!, 4 weeks is 28 days, u have remember this when your calculating how far along u are. For example... My last period was 12th june, so if u calculate how far along I am with months = 12june -1month- 12july (- 2 month- ) 12august (-3month-) 12 september + 16 days.......... This would mean i'm 3 months 2 weeks and 2 days pregnant right??
Nope, i'm 3 months 3 weeks and 2 days pregnant, because u need to calculate week by week , which would be sunday 12 june, sunday 19 june etc etc, to get an accurate count of how far along u are, because theres a weeks difference, this is the way to docs calculate it any way, and the various tickers, pregnancy calculators etc that u can find online.

I think that might explain why it seems like we carry our babes for 10 months, adding of course the extra week docs add on just to be sure etc.

Anyway hope I explained that easy enough, I took me a while to get my head round it too.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
|

replied October 1st, 2005
the Time
:) the due date is actually 9 months and 3 weeks after conception. My aunt is in the medical field and she told me when I asked.
|

replied August 7th, 2009
Hi, my DOB should be on 3.8.09. my midwife sad me if nothing happens normal, i will have an indoction in hospital on 17.08. isnt it to long?
|